Tidal Lossless Streaming
Aug 30, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,531 of 5,210
With controversial topic you might mean that Jriver called Jplay a hoax ad refused to cooperate with them in the beginning...but IMO that statement was a hoax in itself. My suggestion is to try Jplay for free. You have a 30 day to evaluate. No strings attached. If you do not like it it is simply not for you...but then again you have at least tried it. :rolleyes:

I tried Jplay 6.2 after reading your posts.  It is insane how much better my local library and Tidal lossless music sounds with BubbleDS Next and JPLAYStreamer.  It took a while to get BubbleDS Next, JPLAYStreamer, and MinimServer working but it is worth it.  

I didn't have an Android phone or tablet so on my control PC I downloaded VMware player (free for personal use) and Android x86 (open source project licensed under Apache Public License 2.0) 4.4 r2 VMware image from osboxes.org/android-x86

On the Android x86 4.4 r2 VMware image, I set the network card to bridged and installed BubbleDS Next app.

I also have Audiophile Optimizer and now I'm able to stream Tidal to my audio PC that is running in core mode and it sounds amazing.  BubbleDS Next, JPLAYStreamer, MinimServer, and Audiophile Optimizer in core mode in my opinion are big improvements with the music like buying top of the line cables. 

Next best value upgrades I've tried would be Shunyata Zitron Alpha analog power cord for a headphone amp and Zitron Alpha digital power cords for DAC, control and audio PCs.  These power cords make the music sound fast with brilliant clarity and adds euphoria.

I am happy that my posts helped you to better sound! :)
It is an increadible upgrade in SQ with BubbleDS Next>JplayStreamer. If you get the Jplay setting and Asio driver settings right (ie. lower possible latency) you cannot stop toe tapping! :D In my case Fidelizer Pro 6.9 did an amazing results but guess that AO performs equally good. Heard several using both with good result though. :cool:
Reading about your amazing cables (love Shunyata cables but cannot afford them) I think you should have a closer look at UpTone Audio USB Regen http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen that the famous John Swenson is involved in. It is a powered USB hub that will bring your setup to the next level for sure...without costing a fortune. Possible to power by Linear PSU as well as battery PSU and improve things despite hifi grade USB cards. It is the next upgrade for me anyway! :wink:

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,532 of 5,210
I tried Jplay 6.2 after reading your posts.  It is insane how much better my local library and Tidal lossless music sounds with BubbleDS Next and JPLAYStreamer.  It took a while to get BubbleDS Next, JPLAYStreamer, and MinimServer working but it is worth it.  

I didn't have an Android phone or tablet so on my control PC I downloaded VMware player (free for personal use) and Android x86 (open source project licensed under Apache Public License 2.0) 4.4 r2 VMware image from osboxes.org/android-x86

On the Android x86 4.4 r2 VMware image, I set the network card to bridged and installed BubbleDS Next app.

I also have Audiophile Optimizer and now I'm able to stream Tidal to my audio PC that is running in core mode and it sounds amazing.  BubbleDS Next, JPLAYStreamer, MinimServer, and Audiophile Optimizer in core mode in my opinion are big improvements with the music like buying top of the line cables. 

Next best value upgrades I've tried would be Shunyata Zitron Alpha analog power cord for a headphone amp and Zitron Alpha digital power cords for DAC, control and audio PCs.  These power cords make the music sound fast with brilliant clarity and adds euphoria.

About the cables, you're joking right?

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,533 of 5,210
I am happy that my posts helped you to better sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

It is an increadible upgrade in SQ with BubbleDS Next>JplayStreamer. If you get the Jplay setting and Asio driver settings right (ie. lower possible latency) you cannot stop toe tapping!
biggrin.gif
In my case Fidelizer Pro 6.9 did an amazing results but guess that AO performs equally good. Heard several using both with good result though.
cool.gif

Reading about your amazing cables (love Shunyata cables but cannot afford them) I think you should have a closer look at UpTone Audio USB Regen http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen that the famous John Swenson is involved in. It is a powered USB hub that will bring your setup to the next level for sure...without costing a fortune. Possible to power by Linear PSU as well as battery PSU and improve things despite hifi grade USB cards. It is the next upgrade for me anyway!
wink.gif

BTW: JPLAYStreamer does not require any media server software for TIDAL. Media server is required for local library, but not for TIDAL :)

Cheers, 
Marcin

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,534 of 5,210
I am happy that my posts helped you to better sound! :)

It is an increadible upgrade in SQ with BubbleDS Next>JplayStreamer. If you get the Jplay setting and Asio driver settings right (ie. lower possible latency) you cannot stop toe tapping! :D In my case Fidelizer Pro 6.9 did an amazing results but guess that AO performs equally good. Heard several using both with good result though. :cool:

Reading about your amazing cables (love Shunyata cables but cannot afford them) I think you should have a closer look at UpTone Audio USB Regen http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen that the famous John Swenson is involved in. It is a powered USB hub that will bring your setup to the next level for sure...without costing a fortune. Possible to power by Linear PSU as well as battery PSU and improve things despite hifi grade USB cards. It is the next upgrade for me anyway! :wink:

BTW: JPLAYStreamer does not require any media server software for TIDAL. Media server is required for local library, but not for TIDAL :)

Cheers, 

Marcin

I know that JplayStreamer requires Minimserver for local library...but is is it still needed for cloud storage files? I can clearly see the options inside BubbleDS Next but have'nt tried it yet since I'll need to transfer my files to Google Drive or One Drive from my HDD before I give it a try.
Must say that you have done an increadible piece of software with tons of possibillities and amazing SQ. I could'nt be happier! :)
JplayStreamer for Tidal is just beyond belief. I am smiling from face to face every time I put it on...and that is with Classic engine/170 Hz/0.01 settings...I cannot even imagine my face when I'll get Classic/700hz/0.01 settings working! :wink:
Oh yes, I did try the famous UltraStream engine and got it working properly...but somehow Fidelizer Pro 6.9 made the Classic engine shine brighter with lots of more air and transparency/3D. UltraStream is more dynamic for sure...but I prefer the previous.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,537 of 5,210
Is there some sort of a cheat-sheet for setting up Jplay for a Windows (10) box? I'm a little leery because when I tried to fool around with the audio settings beyond the default installation procedures for my Hugo/Windows setup with Tidal or Roon or Jriver, all sorts of weird things happened, 
like no music or some hideous distortion sound in place of music and some other things I don't remember. I tried things like ASIO drivers or Exclusive mode or Bit-perfect playback or private zones.
I'm kind of a novice at this, but it seemed like every time I touched it something went wrong. I use only Hifi mode in Tidal of course, but that's it for changes to have a stable system.
I'm a software guy myself (Unix stuff), but it seems to require some skill to do this non-vanilla stuff and have it work reliably.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,538 of 5,210
Is there some sort of a cheat-sheet for setting up Jplay for a Windows (10) box? I'm a little leery because when I tried to fool around with the audio settings beyond the default installation procedures for my Hugo/Windows setup with Tidal or Roon or Jriver, all sorts of weird things happened, 
like no music or some hideous distortion sound in place of music and some other things I don't remember. I tried things like ASIO drivers or Exclusive mode or Bit-perfect playback or private zones.
I'm kind of a novice at this, but it seemed like every time I touched it something went wrong. I use only Hifi mode in Tidal of course, but that's it for changes to have a stable system.
I'm a software guy myself (Unix stuff), but it seems to require some skill to do this non-vanilla stuff and have it work reliably.

I am not using Jriver or Roon. However, no sound indicates wrong settings and click/pops/stops indicates latency issues. You will have to start with one option...and why not the amazing Roon? It is also bitperfect as far as I know so it should be easier to get it running.
Start by selecting Jplay driver as sound device inside Roon. Selecting Hugo's driver as your W10 computer default sound device. Open the Asio driver panel (TheSycon?) and select 128 samples, minimum latency and always on. Open Jplay settings and select Asio under device, Classic engine 170 Hz DAC link, PC buffer 0,5 seconds and remaining as default. Play music. If you get click/pop/stop increase DAC link to 350 hz. Still problems? Try to run the Asio driver in Windows 7 compabillity mode (worked for me in W10). The thing with Jplay is that you will need try different DAC links and PC buffer values until everything works smoothly. Every setup is different and requires different values. When you get values that work note them down and start checking other values that night sound better to you. Good luck! :)
For me personally the true magic happens with 350 Hz/0,01 settings and gets even better with 700hz/0,01 settings in Jplay...but the latter is still impossible in my own setup without click/pops/stops though (but sounds amazing until that happens).

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,540 of 5,210
I am not using Jriver or Roon. However, no sound indicates wrong settings and click/pops/stops indicates latency issues. You will have to start with one option...and why not the amazing Roon? It is also bitperfect as far as I know so it should be easier to get it running.
Start by selecting Jplay driver as sound device inside Roon. Selecting Hugo's driver as your W10 computer default sound device. Open the Asio driver panel (TheSycon?) and select 128 samples, minimum latency and always on. Open Jplay settings and select Asio under device, Classic engine 170 Hz DAC link, PC buffer 0,5 seconds and remaining as default. Play music. If you get click/pop/stop increase DAC link to 350 hz. Still problems? Try to run the Asio driver in Windows 7 compabillity mode (worked for me in W10). The thing with Jplay is that you will need try different DAC links and PC buffer values until everything works smoothly. Every setup is different and requires different values. When you get values that work note them down and start checking other values that night sound better to you. Good luck! :)
For me personally the true magic happens with 350 Hz/0,01 settings and gets even better with 700hz/0,01 settings in Jplay...but the latter is still impossible in my own setup without click/pops/stops though (but sounds amazing until that happens).

I was going to do exactly that. But then I decided to listen to tidal for 8 hours, then I worked out and cooked a nice supper and then had sex. Dang, I could have been asio'ing my latency instead!

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,541 of 5,210
The student discount, which is 50% off each month on any service of Tidal you choose, makes the service's inherently high price (compared to Spotify and Spotify's student discount) more livable to work with.

No offense to you in particular... but I think this Student Discount is a crock of **it. If students are that short of funds to subscribe to such a Premium Hi Fi Service, they should be putting toward their eduction and not entertainment. Is there a Military, Reired discount too? No. Discounts on Books and such related to education make sense. Tidal Hi-Fi discount??? Really??? I don't blame you for taking advantage of it though.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #1,542 of 5,210
No offense to you in particular... but I think this Student Discount is a crock of **it. If students are that short of funds to subscribe to such a Premium Hi Fi Service, they should be putting toward their eduction and not entertainment. Is there a Military, Reired discount too? No. Discounts on Books and such related to education make sense. Tidal Hi-Fi discount??? Really??? I don't blame you for taking advantage of it though.

It's just a discount to attract a promising customer demographic. Business can offer discounts when and to whom they want to market to.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,543 of 5,210

I've read many of your posts and you seem to appreciate music and sound quality.  If you stick with it and get JPLAYStreamer working with Android BubbleDS Next, the reward is big.  You can use Macrium Reflect 6 free edition (free for personal use) to take a backup image of your Windows 10 PC before you begin.  Also be sure to create a rescue cd in Macrium Reflect 6 free edition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back