Tidal Lossless Streaming
Aug 28, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,516 of 5,209
I will try to explain it as simple as possible.

JplayStreamer works in OpenHome/UPnP/DNLA standard and transform your computer to something similar to a Linn DS Streamer were your Android device is a control point. Your Android device works through the Wifi connection and your computer can still be connected to LAN since they communicate through the network...not through the wifi connection.

First the things you will need to get it working:

1. Computer with at least Windows 8 or preferly Windows 10 (I use W10)
2. DAC or USB>SPDIF converter with Asio driver (I use Stello U3 with TheSycon v1.61 driver connected to DAC)
3. Jplay 6.2
4. Android device
5. BubbleDS Next app

If you already have the correct computer and DAC your first step is to download Jplay 6.2 http://www.jplay.eu

Step 2= download BubbleDS Next to your Android device.

Step 3= select your DAC sound device as your default computer sound device and set it to 16-bit/44100 hz. 

Step 4= open up the driver panel (In my case TheSycon driver panel) and set it initially to 128 and minimum latency. If you have no driver panel just go to the next step.

Step 5= open Jplat settings and select your Asio driver as device, Classic engine, DAC link 350 and PC buffer 0.5 sec. This is just to get it working. Best sound IMO is PC buffer 0.01 sec.

Step 6= open the BubbleDS Next app and select JplayStreamer under Local Media Server & select Tidal under Libarary>Cloud.

Step 7= Enjoy! 

If you run into problem. Try to set Jplay Settings to higher values. When you find a value that works with your DAC you should note it down on a piece of paper and start checking other settings as well...for example KS, UltraStream, 1hz, 10 sec that many people like (not me though). If you still have problems set the driver in Windows 7 compabillity mode.

I do not have everything in front of me while I am writing this...but I think I got it all down.

Good luck! 
beyersmile.png

Edit: Some additional info: When you start using the BubbleDS Next app you should play around a bit with the settings. There are many useful stuff there that is not used in the default settings. Also when you select the first Tidal track go to the playing window, press the three dots and select JplayStreamer as Linn DS player to get the album view. You will also see for example Lyrics there...but you will need to download the free MusicMatch app to get it working. The free BubbleDS Next works with 16 tracks at the time. If you buy the app you will get unlimited tracks in the playlist. If you have local files stored on OneDrive/GoogleDrive/DropBox etc you will be able to play them through BubbleDS Next/JplayStreamer as well...but this is not something that I have personally tried yet though.

It might seem all complicated...but it is really very straight forward. When you get it working it is as simple as turning on your computer, starting the app and play music. The Jplay settings is another story. If you want you can spend days fine tuning the sound for the better...but if you just get it working you will noticed a great improvement in SQ before you even started with better settings. A tip is also to buy the Fidelizer Pro 6.9 and set it to Network render and select to optimize JplayStreamer program as your Audiophile player. After you have done the settings it will start automaticly. It will add a considerable SQ improvement compared to the free version (that you need to launch manually)...especially with the Classic engine (which I now personally prefer to UltraStream in my current setup thanks to Fildelizer Pro 6.9)!

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,517 of 5,209
There's a rather wild issue with that. Namely, it doesn't solve the problem the previous poster mentioned whatsoever because, from your description, you're still piping the Android device straight into your headphones. It doesn't matter what fancy stuff you do on your PC if it streams to your Android device, it's not going to do squat for the output. All you've done there is create a rather bizarre chain that pipes Tidal from your PC to your mobile, but that just gives it a different INPUT, not a new OUTPUT. The end result is still just a digital file coming out of the phone's internal DAC/amp.

More than that, the DAC on your PC isn't even doing anything in this chain as far as I can see, because you're pulling the files through JPlay to the Android. The DAC exists on your computer as a way to transfer the files from digital (files) to analog (audio signal). That piece of hardware is doing nothing at all in this case unless you're trying to claim that you're sending the files from your hard drive as a digital file, through the DAC to an analog signal, then BACK to digital so it can be streamed through the cloud. 

Remember, your phone can't get an analog signal itself. It's taking digital. It doesn't matter what DAC your PC has, your phone can't RECEIVE anything from it. 

I read over that post like six times trying to figure out how that's going to solve the problem of having a USB DAC/amp on the phone that takes up the charging port, and... it doesn't. The end result is still those same Tidal files being played through your phone/tablet using the phone/tablet's hardware. 

EDIT: Not to mention the FURTHER issue that this requires you to be on your home WiFi network, negating the point of it being a "mobile". 

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #1,518 of 5,209
  There's a rather wild issue with that. Namely, it doesn't solve the problem the previous poster mentioned whatsoever because, from your description, you're still piping the Android device straight into your headphones. It doesn't matter what fancy stuff you do on your PC if it streams to your Android device, it's not going to do squat for the output. All you've done there is create a rather bizarre chain that pipes Tidal from your PC to your mobile, but that just gives it a different INPUT, not a new OUTPUT. The end result is still just a digital file coming out of the phone's internal DAC/amp.

More than that, the DAC on your PC isn't even doing anything in this chain as far as I can see, because you're pulling the files through JPlay to the Android. The DAC exists on your computer as a way to transfer the files from digital (files) to analog (audio signal). That piece of hardware is doing nothing at all in this case unless you're trying to claim that you're sending the files from your hard drive as a digital file, through the DAC to an analog signal, then BACK to digital so it can be streamed through the cloud. 

Remember, your phone can't get an analog signal itself. It's taking digital. It doesn't matter what DAC your PC has, your phone can't RECEIVE anything from it. 

I read over that post like six times trying to figure out how that's going to solve the problem of having a USB DAC/amp on the phone that takes up the charging port, and... it doesn't. The end result is still those same Tidal files being played through your phone/tablet using the phone/tablet's hardware. 

EDIT: Not to mention the FURTHER issue that this requires you to be on your home WiFi network, negating the point of it being a "mobile". 

Sorry, you got it all wrong! Your Android device just act as a remote control through the network. The computer sends all the music bitperfect to your DAC via JplayStreamer. That is the beauty of it. It relieves your computer from CPU intensive work and let your computer handle the important stuff! 
cool.gif

Wifi is just used by BubbleDS Next to connect to your network (to get full control of features like playback, media files and album cover). It is therefore a good idea to use LAN network for the computer since it is really your computer together with JplayStreamer and your Asio driver that controls the sound.

I understand if this is difficult stuff to fully understand. That is why you should give it a try and decide what you think AFTER you have tried it. To rule out something before you even try it is not a good way to get better knowledge.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,519 of 5,209
  Sorry, you got it all wrong! Your Android device just act as a remote control through the network. The computer sends all the music bitperfect to your DAC via JplayStreamer. That is the beauty of it. It relieves your computer from CPU intensive work and let your computer handle the important stuff! 
cool.gif

Wifi is just used by BubbleDS Next to connect to your network (to get full control of features like playback, media files and album cover). It is therefore a good idea to use LAN network for the computer since it is really your computer together with JplayStreamer and your Asio driver that controls the sound.

I understand if this is difficult stuff to fully understand. That is why you should give it a try and decide what you think AFTER you have tried it. To rule out something before you even try it is not a good way to get better knowledge.

Then I don't understand what you're actually listening to? The PC still? If so, um.

The previous poster was talking about the difficulty in using an external DAC with their phone because it takes up the USB charging port, so what exactly is your solution doing? Now it's sounding like you're just using your phone as a remote for listening to music on your desktop, which is totally not helpful for the problem they were having. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,520 of 5,209
Can you lead us through what is plugged into what and running what for this setup? I know I was asking about it earlier but I still have no idea how this stuff actually operates. I just keep seeing "Use Jplaystreamer" like it's some magical widget that makes music happen.

SomeGuyDude is asking, reasonably, how to drive a car. Cornan is telling him, knowledgeably, and in Chinese, that it's best to first soup up the engine, replace the transmission, and experiment with custom wheels. No one's wrong but the Alabama sheriff would say "what we have here is a failure to communicate".

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,521 of 5,209

Sorry, you got it all wrong! Your Android device just act as a remote control through the network. The computer sends all the music bitperfect to your DAC via JplayStreamer. That is the beauty of it. It relieves your computer from CPU intensive work and let your computer handle the important stuff! :cool:  

Then I don't understand what you're actually listening to? The PC still? If so, um.

The previous poster was talking about the difficulty in using an external DAC with their phone because it takes up the USB charging port, so what exactly is your solution doing? Now it's sounding like you're just using your phone as a remote for listening to music on your desktop, which is totally not helpful for the problem they were having. 

Jplay (incl JplayStreamer) is installed on the W8-10 computer. BubbleDS Next is installed on the Android tablet. No wires are attached since BubbleDS Next and JplayStreamer is communicating through Wi-fi and the sound goes from your computer to your DAC. Since no USB cable is not occupied for sound it can be used for charging. I have given you the tools and the manual. If you do not want to use the tools it is nothing I can do about it. You do not need to be a scienthist to understand sound...you need to be curious of the result! :wink:
Since the previous poster @sonitus mirus was trying to figure out how to charge the mobile phone while playing music I am pretty sure he is not going to use it portable...:rolleyes:

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,522 of 5,209
Jplay (incl JplayStreamer) is installed on the W8-10 computer. BubbleDS Next is installed on the Android tablet. No wires are attached since BubbleDS Next and JplayStreamer is communicating through Wi-fi and the sound goes from your computer to your DAC. Since no USB cable is not occupied for sound it can be used for charging. I have given you the tools and the manual. If you do not want to use the tools it is nothing I can do about it. You do not need to be a scienthist to understand sound...you need to be curious of the result!
wink.gif

Since the previous poster @sonitus mirus was trying to figure out how to charge the mobile phone while playing music I am pretty sure he is not going to use it portable...
rolleyes.gif

Yes, because when do people EVER charge their phones while mobile... LMAO

Anyhoo, I may not be a "scienthist" but I know flim flam when I see it. I actually did install the Jplaystreamer during all this along with Fidelizer and Fidelify, did my best to set them up. Zero difference. $100+ for a placebo effect. No thanks. If I'm gonna get swindled I'd rather at least buy a cable so I have a physical object. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,523 of 5,209
 @sonitus mirus was trying to figure out how to charge the mobile phone while playing music I am pretty sure he is not going to use it portable...
rolleyes.gif

I was saying that I would just use my phone instead of my PC at work or my laptop if I could find a way to use the phone's USB port to my DAC without losing the ability to keep the phone fully charged.  For me, I don't see any benefit using my phone with Jplay from simply using my laptop or desktop PC at work to play music.  If I have to go through all of that, why wouldn't I just use my laptop to stream music and leave the phone out of it?

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,524 of 5,209
I rest my case! :cop_tone2:

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,525 of 5,209

I'd like to use my phone more often, portable or otherwise, but I'm just draining the battery for no good reason when I am also near my computers that can be used as a source, too. I only want one device using resources to play music, the phone or the computer, not both. I would use the phone more often if it could also play music while charging. My current setups for speakers and headphones at home and in my office use any USB source, so I was trying to make use of this with my devices, though my phone is the only one that can't stay powered up indefinitely.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,526 of 5,209

I'd like to use my phone more often, portable or otherwise, but I'm just draining the battery for no good reason when I am also near my computers that can be used as a source, too. I only want one device using resources to play music, the phone or the computer, not both. I would use the phone more often if it could also play music while charging. My current setups for speakers and headphones at home and in my office use any USB source, so I was trying to make use of this with my devices, though my phone is the only one that can't stay powered up indefinitely.

If you do not want to involve the computer and still want to use the same DAC you are left with limited options. As far as I know you should look for a dock with USB output. I have seen some around but not sure if there are any that suites your perticular mobile phone and if they support USB audio.

Another option is to use AirServer on the computer and connect through lossless audio (AirPlay). You will need the AirAudio app or similar installed on your mobile...but this option is almost the same as JplayStreamer and not as good sound. Still the sound is quite good and might be good enough for work?

Using JplayStreamer on the other hand is extremly simple when you got it installed and the settings done. You do not need to touch the computer for more than powering it on/off and occationally if you want to fine tune the Jplay settings. Otherwise you can still use the computer as normal. You will connect to the computer through the network and control Tidal through the BubbleDS Next app. Very easy and very connveniant. You can even use it all around the building as long as you are in reach of the network.

Remember. This is just a suggestion based on my own experiance. A PM buddy of mine is currently trying to figure out how to supply clean power an iPad in a CKK>USB Regen>DAC combo. Not an easy task. But he is very advanced in power related stuff so I will not be suppriced if he eventually find a way. If this solution will be useful for you Android setup is another story....but you are looking for similar solutions. :cool:

Personally I am currently trying to figure out how to use my Wadia i171 transport for my Android tablet. I have recently ordered a Apple 30-pin female to USB micro male adapter after weeks of searching on Google. Since the Wadia does'nt supply power...only digital audio I am still struggeling to find a charging solution. You are not alone! :wink:
Actually, it just striked me that I already have the solution when I get the adapter. I am using a wireless charger for my Nexus7 gen 2 tablet and will be able to charge. I have seen mobile covers that provide wireless charging for certain mobile phones. Maybe something you should check out if you have'nt done it already?

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,528 of 5,209
Is there some thread here on the controversial topic of Jriver vs. Jplay? (I've got a big library of Jriver stuff though..., playlists and things.) I never heard Jplay. I use Windows (10).

I don't know if there need to be a vs between the both of them. Many people is using Jriver together with Jplay with good results. I have tried it as well with Jrivers WDM driver but personally liked the sound with Asio Bridge better. More transparent sound IMO. Many other prefer Jriver though and I can clearly understand why.

With controversial topic you might mean that Jriver called Jplay a hoax ad refused to cooperate with them in the beginning...but IMO that statement was a hoax in itself. My suggestion is to try Jplay for free. You have a 30 day to evaluate. No strings attached. If you do not like it it is simply not for you...but then again you have at least tried it. :rolleyes:

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,530 of 5,209
With controversial topic you might mean that Jriver called Jplay a hoax ad refused to cooperate with them in the beginning...but IMO that statement was a hoax in itself. My suggestion is to try Jplay for free. You have a 30 day to evaluate. No strings attached. If you do not like it it is simply not for you...but then again you have at least tried it.
rolleyes.gif

I tried Jplay 6.2 after reading your posts.  It is insane how much better my local library and Tidal lossless music sounds with BubbleDS Next and JPLAYStreamer.  It took a while to get BubbleDS Next, JPLAYStreamer, and MinimServer working but it is worth it.  

I didn't have an Android phone or tablet so on my control PC I downloaded VMware player (free for personal use) and Android x86 (open source project licensed under Apache Public License 2.0) 4.4 r2 VMware image from osboxes.org/android-x86

On the Android x86 4.4 r2 VMware image, I set the network card to bridged and installed BubbleDS Next app.

I also have Audiophile Optimizer and now I'm able to stream Tidal to my audio PC that is running in core mode and it sounds amazing.  BubbleDS Next, JPLAYStreamer, MinimServer, and Audiophile Optimizer in core mode in my opinion are big improvements with the music like buying top of the line cables. 

Next best value upgrades I've tried would be Shunyata Zitron Alpha analog power cord for a headphone amp and Zitron Alpha digital power cords for DAC, control and audio PCs.  These power cords make the music sound fast with brilliant clarity and adds euphoria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back