Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
Oct 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #271 of 336
As the opamps, all the Hdam OPA used in the Zero must be DUAL
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #273 of 336
I've had two zero's for over a year and one has had the sudden death issue.
Ordered a replacement mainboard from Wang and he sent me the new '09 mainboard. This board requires a 9 pin connector to the front control panel and the old board used a 7 pin connector. I've tried to contact Wang to get the proper control parts, but I have had no reply. Would it be possible to mod the old front control panel to work with the new mainboard?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
orca1993

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #274 of 336
Finally going to go ahead and order this... What is the consensus regarding eBay sellers? I.e. which is generally perceived to be the most reputable, and most likely to provide genuine OPA627s?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #275 of 336
wsz0304 seems to be really good. I e-mailed him some questions and he was prompt and nice. Cheapest price too. I asked him about fake OPA627 and if he tests them and he said he did but take that with a grain of salt if you will. If I end up buying a Zero, it will be from him.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #276 of 336
I bought mine from coolfungadget and he was excellent to do business with. I am having an issue with the output jack and emailed him to see if he could sell me a replacement part. He actually recommended I contact wsz034 about it as he doesn't deal with replacement parts himself.

I won't personally recommend one over the other but I've heard nothing but good things about both and my personal experience with coolfungadget has been everything I could ask for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #277 of 336
Hi guys! My opa-moon finally came! But after a few run the opa-moon became very hot and added a lot more heat to the DAC.

So i have decided to remove the headphone amp part to reduce the heat inside the dac.

But i have a couple of question regarding the removal. Anyway here it goes
  • is the Zero DAC safe to use without the headphone amp part?
  • are the headphone part needed for the DAC?
  • will removing of this result in lost of quality etc?

Thanks all
biggrin.gif

Below here's the picture without the headphone amp
ZeroDACMod1.jpg

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #278 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme3X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys! My opa-moon finally came! But after a few run the opa-moon became very hot and added a lot more heat to the DAC.

So i have decided to remove the headphone amp part to reduce the heat inside the dac.

But i have a couple of question regarding the removal. Anyway here it goes
  • is the Zero DAC safe to use without the headphone amp part?
  • are the headphone part needed for the DAC?
  • will removing of this result in lost of quality etc?

Thanks all
biggrin.gif

Below here's the picture without the headphone amp
ZeroDACMod1.jpg

1. Yes. Don't turn on the pre-amp.
2. Not necessarily.
3. No.

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #279 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfungadget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes. Don't turn on the pre-amp.
2. Not necessarily.
3. No.

Wooooo coolfungadget thanks for clearing my doubt
biggrin.gif
Oh ya i got another question.. after removing the headphone amp part, i feel thats there is more bass? Is it placebo effect haha..

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #280 of 336
Hmm i'm still hesistating between this fellow and the head direct ef2. Just received my hd580 so I feel the need for an amp and dac growing inside my ears.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #281 of 336
I am also watching this thread with interest. I'm pretty keen to buy a 09 Zero as a Chrissy present (for myself of course!) in a month or so, so I'm very interested to see if anyone has reliability issues. From the other threads about the original Zero, it appears that there were some issues, although I suspect that many of these may be due to users tinkering.....not that I don't do a bit of this myself.

Presumably any problems may have been fixed in the updated O9 version.

Perhaps it is too early for any problems to surface?

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #282 of 336
I think the price would have to have gone up significantly for them to upgrade the quality of the board to make it more reliable.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #284 of 336
smily_headphones1.gif
no issues here yet... tho i am very interested in the compass... probably will take a look at that in a few months time and sell off my Zero

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #285 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by levin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
no issues here yet... tho i am very interested in the compass... probably will take a look at that in a few months time and sell off my Zero

hi Levin, what issues do you have with the Zero that makes you keen to upgrade to the compass......I know the compass is higher spec, but presumably the zero doesn't 'do it' for you? Just curious.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back