Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
Jun 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #121 of 336
ho man this server must be having a bad day i lost my post 3 times.

YA MAN...@Lao,@G~MANN- came by a few to see if there's anything new and positive about the ZERO! in anticipation to hear from @PMD' about his analog BUG ? as @Lao did explain a few post back what to do...so----where is pmd.
oh with that XONAR ESSENCE THING i was like what the "BLEEP BLEEP" these guys talking about ! anyways i took gander over to silentpcreview site and its all good

guys i had a little eye popping an Friday....i was in daytona bch FL. on friday and this old buddy called me over to his place to check out MUSICAL FIDELITY-V-DAC AND V-CAN THE HP WAS THE ATH-AD700 ALL HOOKED TO WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. i was blown away big time! my reference was Diana Krall as i listen to the look of love CD at home. and i have never hear she sings BESAMA MUCHO like that before!BUT HEY we are still waiting for our brand new 2009 ZERO DAC. $500-160=340....Wyn

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #122 of 336
@G~mann: there already exists topics for the stx/st.

About the opamps, for National Semiconductors the MA suffix means DIP-8 packeting while HA means TO-99 packeting, but you can also fit it in a DIP-8 socket, just be careful to the pin-to-pin correspondence. Both LME49860 and LME49720 are duals, so you need just one of them per socket. The OPA2211 from Texas Instruments is also a dual OP-AMP, however it seems to have only surface soldering packeting, so that you will need an adaptor (or you can try to adapt it like this http://www.headphoneamp.co.kr/ftp/si.../Tip/SMD-4.jpg). For the AD797BRZ you will also need an adaptor, but this time an single-to-double adaptor since the AD797BRZ is a single OPAMP so that you need 2 of them per socket. The LME49860MA, LME49720HA and the AD797BRZ seems to have a good reputation in this forum, but I don't now if the same can be said about the OPA2211A. I have 3 LME49860MA in my 09zero, but I need to compare it to others to see what if they are any different to my ears.

@wyn: please let us know your impressions about the zero compared to what you could taste from the Musical Fidelity DAC + AMP. Oh, and about PMD there had no bug, just misuse
smily_headphones1.gif

lao

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #123 of 336
my impressions of the new zero 09 dac/preamp/amp/usb/ect. first things first shipment-was very fast coming from hkg, the packaging was A+ it took me quite some time to get to the box with the zero...been anxious an all" i cut the box open finally i looked at the zero IMO its a nice looking unit i picked it up, it had a nice weight to it comparing to it other stuff that cost about four the zero...
as i had mentioned my brief encounter with musical fidelity v-dac and v-can! today is my second day with the zero- but the v-dac & amp still have the edge but at $340 more'

this 09 version IMO is a great value and cannot be equal for the money' I gave it four stars **** for the dac section, optical,coaxial,usb....BUT BUT BUT! YOU NEED A DEADICATED HEADPHONE AMPS. "PERIOD" the mid range/female vocals is just too much to handle coming from the zero headphone out' that's how i see it. that been said it makes a nice mate to/with my creek obh-21' b-line i can live with it.
Wyn.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #125 of 336
lao

How would you describe the LME49860MA? I think I may want to do an inexpensive upgrade to the amp dacs. I would need opamps that would sound pair up well with the OPA-Moon used as the main opamp.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #126 of 336
G~MANN
IT'S THE 09 NEW VERSION ZERO 24/192KHZDAC HEAD AMP @USB @ OPA627
BURN IN TIME <> 24 HOURS. MY REMARKS TOWARDS DEDICATED AMP NEEDED" MABE WAS A LITTLE TOO SOON... so strike that FOR NOW, it's just that i may have been some what optimistic towards the sound signature....as it was sounding harsh' and over bearing in my ears with the volume at about 8-o'clock..and as soon as i connect the rca out to my obh-21 it was sounding so good!! that said i will keep it on fire for a lil'bit longer burning.
so bring on the pointers....I AM STILL A NEWBIE
Wyn,

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #127 of 336
I should be getting my 09 Zero this week. I may burn it in with first the OPA627 and get use to its sound before I place the OPA- Moon in it. I have yet to determine if I am going to throw money into replacing the two headphone opamps. I'm thinking about going external. Maybe one of the Little Dot MK or Darkvoice hybrid tube amps. These small amps can bounce back and forth between my laptop-0404-GMX 2.1 setup and my main mediapc-Zero-Onk705-Ascends setup. Hopefully adding a bit of warmth to either. I really need to find a replacement for my Senn 280s. I am thinking neutral to warm opens or semis. The new Grado 125i looks interesting. I haven't heard them yet. I just have to find a place that auditions decent cans around here.

Jul 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #128 of 336
@G~mann: what do i think about the LME49860MA? Well, listen, I've compared it to the stock one (2604) and with the LT1358 and I can say that it produces a more detailed and open (more wide stage?) sound, more pleasant to my ears. And regarding to the bass, I really think it is more present. About the headamp part, I'm really convinced that a dedicated amp would bring a better overall sound, as Wyn suggested. Anyway, the LME49860MA represents clearly a better opamp compared to these two. Now, compared to the OPA627 I can't say much, but if I base my opinion on the opinion of the other forumers around here I would say it represents a improvement. But with respect to the MOON, it will maybe not be the same. But don't forget that it all depends on your ears, really does. I'm pretty sure I can't identify half of what a trained ear can.

With all the burning time of my 09zero along with the HD650 I can say that the DAC does make a very good work compared to my soundcard (macbook pro's), which is not a bad one. It separates much more the two channels, you can identify much more easily the instruments. Without a doubt it is a much better DAC. But the AMP is lacking of some punch I think. Someday I will buy an dedicate amp, if I can spare some money for this.

lao

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #129 of 336
I thought the "NA" were DIP-8 packets and the "MA" were TO-99 packets. I found a pair of LME49720NA/NOPB online yesterday at a decent price so I picked them up. I hope I bought the right ones. It did say they fit Dip-8 sockets. I looking forward to rolling these opamps. I hope I have the patience to not rush the process and go thru the stock ones first then roll the 49720s (replacing TL082s) for the headamp and then OPA-Moon (replacing OPA627) for the main so that I can hear difference with each upgrade. I hope the OpaMoon\49720 sound signatures compliment each other.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #130 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by G~mann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the "NA" were DIP-8 packets and the "MA" were TO-99 packets. I found a pair of LME49720NA/NOPB online yesterday at a decent price so I picked them up. I hope I bought the right ones. It did say they fit Dip-8 sockets. I looking forward to rolling these opamps. I hope I have the patience to not rush the process and go thru the stock ones first then roll the 49720s (replacing TL082s) for the headamp and then OPA-Moon (replacing OPA627) for the main so that I can hear difference with each upgrade. I hope the OpaMoon\49720 sound signatures compliment each other.

sry to say this but as I said above:

Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for National Semiconductors the MA suffix means DIP-8 packeting while HA means TO-99 packeting, but you can also fit it in a DIP-8 socket, just be careful to the pin-to-pin correspondence.

the MA are the DIP-8 pack and the HA te TO-99. The NA is the SO, in this case you will need to adapt it either using an proper adapter or doing something like this: http://www.headphoneamp.co.kr/ftp/si.../Tip/SMD-4.jpg

Once you receive your op-amps and test them, please come back and tell us your impressions.

lao

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #131 of 336
maybe a stupid question...... but, anyway....

I've changed the two poor original op amps that were in the Zero '09, for 2 LT1364.

but my question is : does the op amp rolling in the DAC section change the sound in the hearphones plugged in the phone out of the Zero ?
or I just have to change the op amps in the "head amp" section ?
sorry if this question seems stupid, but I try to understand
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #132 of 336
DAC IC -> DAC opamp -> Headphone amplifier

Yes, the opamp used after the DAC IC will change the sonic characteristics given to the headphone amplifier, pre-amplification.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #133 of 336
Apparently my Zero dac was damaged during inspection at customs. The seller says it would take 1-2 weeks for another one to arrive. He gave me the option to cancel order and I took it. The more I thought about buying this dac and a external hybrid amp - I could just buy the Compass DAC\AMP. The Compass is the dac I really want. Why compromise? I will only regret it in a couple months. I currently play FLAC files via a realtek onboard audio. I found the Asus Essence STX shipped (w rebate) for $145. This will provide improved audio over my onboard s/pdif + good dac + good headamp. I'll save for the Audio-gd Compass. Hopefully I can get in on another bulk order or hit another promo. As I said a few post back, there are so many choices. In 2-4 months there may be another "gotta have this dac" being sold.

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #134 of 336
DAC damaged at the customs? How this? What makes you say that the problem was with the the customs service? Did they open the ZERO and hit it with a screwdriver?
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe off topic, but comparing the STX and COMPASS DACwise, I don't know if the compass is better. If so, not for a big margin. The AMP is more likely to be better, but again not so sure. Anyways, going to one or another you will have a better sound than using the zero (that's what I hope) and surely a better build and components quality. If the compass is more expensive, it has at least the advantage of being portable (in case it concerns you somehow, like home->work->home->work->home....) and more versatile (you can use it on desktop, laptop or any sound system at least as a DAC only or DAC plus preamp if need).

lao

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #135 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC IC -> DAC opamp -> Headphone amplifier

Yes, the opamp used after the DAC IC will change the sonic characteristics given to the headphone amplifier, pre-amplification.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

thank you
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back