THX AAA 789 Replacement
Jun 1, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #47 of 56
Well said Sir! The Phonitor is mainly transparent, you will hear the sound of the source. Since you have the RME dac you should be fine.

I will have to check that out vs the GSX mini when it comes out.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #48 of 56
I might still keep the THX but thinking about something more detailed, better soundstage and maybe a little more power.
I just replaced my THX 789 for S-Audio Focus DACamp and I am enjoying it a lot. It is on a different level of sound authenticity and timbres naturalness. Its binaural processor is unparalleled in terms of soundstage reproduction. It costs 800 USD.

It has no balanced output though, yet it is powerful enough to drive Hifiman HE4, I listen to them at 10–12 o'clock.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #49 of 56
You are going to have to spend more than $1,500 to do better than the THX 789, the Benchmark HPA4 might be an upgrade due to name brand and price alone.

Worth checking out some measurements too for these two headamps:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-benchmark-hpa4-headphone-amp-pre.8141/

I guess the HPA4 is TOTL with its SINAD of 120dB, so it might be an upgrade over the THX AAA 789.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #51 of 56
Gustard H20 has been everything I wanted. It's a seriously awesome amp for about $900. There's more power than I'll ever need and it fixes what I disliked about the 789 - I'd say it's less dry and boring without sacrificing detail (not saying the 789 is bad, it's my very much subjective experience of it).

One downside is that the SE out sounds significantly worse. Balanced is pure joy though.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #52 of 56
I just replaced my THX 789 for S-Audio Focus DACamp and I am enjoying it a lot. It is on a different level of sound authenticity and timbres naturalness. Its binaural processor is unparalleled in terms of soundstage reproduction. It costs 800 USD.

It has no balanced output though, yet it is powerful enough to drive Hifiman HE4, I listen to them at 10–12 o'clock.

Why do amp makers not include balanced output on nice amps like this? Isn't balanced output the gold standard and generally sounding better than the 1/4"?

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #53 of 56
Why do amp makers not include balanced output on nice amps like this? Isn't balanced output the gold standard and generally sounding better than the 1/4"?
Nazar from S-Audio finally produced a device with a balanced output, but it is no amp, it's a DAC — FIRDAC Mini. It is the best DAC I ever had. Just another plane in terms of authenticity, sounds separation, stage, and ability to evoke emotional response from the listener. Listening to it for half a year now and no desire to look further.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #54 of 56
Nazar from S-Audio finally produced a device with a balanced output, but it is no amp, it's a DAC — FIRDAC Mini. It is the best DAC I ever had. Just another plane in terms of authenticity, sounds separation, stage, and ability to evoke emotional response from the listener. Listening to it for half a year now and no desire to look further.
That's intriguing, where do you buy it? Nothing obvious with a quick google search.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #55 of 56
I have 789 and Questyle MA600. Questyle is a noticeable improvement over the 789. Sound is less compressed and more effortless. Have to A/B to really notice, can listen to 789 quite happily but the Questyle is an upgrade for me. If I was to buy an amp at the moment it would probably be a Violectric 550. Heard it at Canjam and drove everything effortlessly.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #56 of 56
That's intriguing, where do you buy it? Nothing obvious with a quick google search.
This is the website: https://s-audio.systems/firdacmini/?setlang=en. Use the Contact menu to reach Nazar about purchasing.
1709928751731.png
1709928758127.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back