THX AAA 789 Replacement
May 29, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #31 of 56
I agree with everyone else and say, the THX amp is a killer for its price range hands down.

@mixman well here we go :) $1500 to $2000 okay lets do this! Not messing around !!

Headamp GSX-MINI $1800

Schitt Ragnarok 2 TBA --- Most likely $2000 ish or less.

WA22 (2nd gen) - Yea thats right lets tube this up! $2400 (Like you dont have an extra $400 lying around)

Bryston BHA-1 - $2000 (Equal or better or worst or better again than the mini)

Questyle CMA800R - $2000

Master 9 - $1500 (Meh...)

Lets get the Best AMP/DAC combos

Benchmark Dac 3 -- $2100
Mytek Brooklyn Dac + -- $2100
Sony TA-ZH1ES - $2000

Can be argue that the Dac 3 or Dac + is better than THX + RME combine? Expensive thou
Thanks man. That list is exactly what I am looking for. I know the THX is a good value but is it the be all and end all in amps? I don't think so.

It's like me going to a sports car forum asking......What's the fastest car for X amount? And getting answers like ......Why would you want a faster car? Why don't you like your current car? The whole purpose of the amp forum here is people want not only more output but a better sounding amp as they go up the chain with HP's.

May 29, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #32 of 56
Thanks man. That list is exactly what I am looking for. I know the THX is a good value but is it the be all and end all in amps? I don't think so.

It's like me going to a sports car forum asking......What's the fastest car for X amount? And getting answers like ......Why would you want a faster car? Why don't you like your current car? The whole purpose of the amp forum here is people want not only more output but a better sounding amp as they go up the chain with HP's.

There are lot's of options but I don't know what to recommend specifically because I'm not certain what your dislikes are with the current amp. That being said you may want to check out some local shops with your current headphones. Perhaps coordinate a local meet to audition some gear. At least you would have been able to rule out if the DAC, Amp, or your current headphones don't really have that synergy you crave.

Just for example, I have a TEAC UD-503, Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon X, and a Balanced Hifiman Ananda. This particular combination sounds sublime but the same gear with my single ended headphones leaves a lot to be desired.

In all seriousness, I would suggest trying some of Questyle's offerings. The CMA400i or CMA800i are pretty impressive.

May 30, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #33 of 56
Better in SQ and hopefully output. Now, as I mentioned in the previous post, you may think amps sound the same, but I would strongly disagree.
It has vanishingly low distortion, a ruler-flat frequency response, and pushes 6W per channel @ 32ohms. Good luck dude.

May 30, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #34 of 56
At that price point he's just going to color the sound with a different amp if anything. A far better upgrade would be spending that on better headphones. Maybe ones that are more open sounding since he said he wants more realism...or the Audeze Mobius with its 3D sound positioning.. :L3000:

May 30, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #35 of 56
At that price point he's just going to color the sound with a different amp if anything. A far better upgrade would be spending that on better headphones. Maybe ones that are more open sounding since he said he wants more realism...or the Audeze Mobius with its 3D sound positioning.. :L3000:
Yep always trying to get better HP’s. HEK SE and LCD X are good enough to hear differences in amps. How about you get s better amp for those Stax so you can really hear them properly?

May 30, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #37 of 56
Yep always trying to get better HP’s. HEK SE and LCD X are good enough to hear differences in amps. How about you get s better amp for those Stax so you can really hear them properly?

Don't need one. Compared it with SR009S + TOTL amps and it's just as good if not better.

May 30, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #38 of 56
I agree with everyone else and say, the THX amp is a killer for its price range hands down.

@mixman well here we go :) $1500 to $2000 okay lets do this! Not messing around !!

Headamp GSX-MINI $1800 My favorite. Heard it at CanJam and it easily powered a Susvara, cleanly

Schitt Ragnarok 2 TBA --- Most likely $2000 ish or less. Not sure if I am ready for the Shiit sound?

WA22 (2nd gen) - Yea thats right lets tube this up! $2400 (Like you dont have an extra $400 lying around) - My Dream tube amp

Bryston BHA-1 - $2000 (Equal or better or worst or better again than the mini) Not sure about this one

Questyle CMA800R - $2000 Seen on sale somewhere for $1,200.

Master 9 - $1500 (Meh...) Darn One of my favorites for a complete preamp/amp

I see no mention of the ICan Pro or for cheap the Liquid Platinum?

I use a Violecteic V280. Great amp. Tons of power, deep soundstage. Worth a look in this price range. Good luck and I hope you find what you are lookin for.

Another dream amp the Violectric 281. The 280 would be cool too.

May 30, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #40 of 56
SPL Phonitor E would be a great choice if you're okay with the balanced output using dual power amps instead of true balanced.

I have the Phonitor XE now (basically the same sound as the E for more money and knobs and such). It also has a more comprehensive crossfeed/angle Matrix than the E if you want to get intentional with improving soundstage.

It's on the cusp of displacing my ECP Audio L-2 and Cavalli Liquid Platinum because it's so friggin' clean and I don't have to get all nervosa with tubes.

I've considered selling the Phonitor XE, Liquid Platinum, and L-2 and going balls-to-the-wall with a Phonitor E and Director Mk2 stack.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #41 of 56
I found I gained nothing from the Violectric V281 besides a higher noise floor.

So I guess there are no other high end amps you desire?

May 31, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #44 of 56
I'd second this recommendation, The Phonitor is worthwhile for the money.
Heard one of the SPL amps, not sure which one, at CanJam and thought it sounded bright. Not sure what the settings were though.

May 31, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #45 of 56
I'm allergic to brightness. What you heard was likely the DAC. If it was an SPL Director DAC (first version, not the new Mk2), those were quite bright and I do not like them one bit.

The Phonitor is almost perfectly transparent. The only thing that might come close to being called color would either be:
1) The treble is somehow very smooth and non-fatiguing without being inaccurate.
2) The bass never runs out of power, so it slams very well (again, without emphasizing frequency).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back