Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
Dec 30, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #436 of 879
Thank God you are OK! Literally, I was quite worried about you!

Quote:
Hi Guys, sorry for missing Xmas but I haven't forgotten you!

So, updates... I'm working around the clock to get these done as quickly as possible, and as with any small startup I've talked to, I've been having my share of problems. I had a couple of custom orders to do which ended up taking an extraordinary amount of time, I totally underestimated how long they'd take and they quickly became way more complicated than I thought they would. The other major problem I've been having is finishing. The lacquers I normally use just aren't working in the cold and damp of Seattle in winter, and due to the toxic fumes I can't use the laquer indoors. The odd set wasn't too bad in the past but now it's a major undertaking and that isn't feasible.

It's taken quite a long time to find a suitable alternative finish that I can use indoors. I bought a lot of finishes to test and I've had to finish, then strip off many cups because of either setting problems, blushing or bland looks. I finally found something that works great, sets fast, non toxic and looks sweet and I'm now back to full speed and will be sending out sets from Saturday on. 

It's been difficult and it's totally consuming my life, which is actually good as I've learned a lot from mistakes which will help going forward. Tracking email is also difficult because there is so much to do. I'm not ignoring anyone, I just can't keep up with all the mail and work as I'm already on the go into the wee hours every night. I want this to be a success and I want to make everyone happy but I'm sure I'll upset people along the way, especially with delay that seem unavoidable at times. I'm still learning as I go with the business side and finding that things are never as smooth sailing as I'd like. 

I need to get back to it right now uit I'll check in again a little later this evening to try and answer questions, which I'm sure some of you have. 

Cheers
G

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #437 of 879
Yeah, I had all kinds of going wrong for a while and it was incredibly frustrating not being able to give anyone any positive news until I could get it figured out. It's quite a relief to get back to a more normal state where I can get things done again instead of pulling my hair out. It's hard anticipating problems you don't realize you're going to have. The finish thing was driving me crazy for weeks and I ended up reading everything I could on alternatives and buying most of them to test. Unfortunately, the vast majority of them simply don't live up to the claims made in one way or another and it cost a lot of time and money going through them all to find one that actually is good. Actually, I found two that are good but I'm sticking to the one I've had best results with and I'm very happy with it.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #439 of 879
And I am glad we don't have to use toxic material finish for our batch.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #440 of 879
Gary, im sure you're doing a fantastic job. aa a small business owner i just want to say welcome to my world. had to report some delays to customers yesterday also. its never easy but , it does get better. hang in there.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #441 of 879

Quote:
Yeah, I had all kinds of going wrong for a while and it was incredibly frustrating not being able to give anyone any positive news until I could get it figured out.

Hi Smeggy,

Good to hear you've overcome your issues.  No need to fret about stuff like this, issues crop up, it's part and parcel of growing a small business.  I've found time and again this kind of stress is alleviated by simple communication with the customers ASAP when something goes off course. 1) they're almost always understanding, (as is evidenced in the responses above) 2) this understanding alleviates your personal stress, 3) with less stress and an understanding that the schedule will slip, you can attack the issues with calm and clarity of mind.  

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #444 of 879
Gary, I can relate to your issues as a manufacturer. I am a small one-man company (Roth Akoustic LLC) that was commissioned to build the Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason Ltd natural granite loudspeaker. I designed and produced every one by hand.

I was slammed at one point with orders and delays became the norm. I was up until 1 AM every night for two weeks. I learned the hard way to get back to the client ASAP with an explanation for the delays. I nearly lost two orders by putting off my response. I found that once I forced myself to have the frank discussion, to my relief and surprise, one client was very understanding and very supportive. The other client dragged me through the mud, for which I appropriately swallowed my pride and volunteered the concomitant groveling. In retrospect, I am thankful for the difficulty that one client gave me, because it taught me things about business I never knew about as well as things about myself. Everyone came away with what they wanted.

I say these things because of how much I learned in the painful process! Cherish this growth because it will strengthen you in the future and carry you through the worst of times.

BTW, I sent you an inquiry about making me a Basic Kit (via your web site) but I can see I may not get a response. I hope things clear out and you can get back to "new" customers soon. Hang in there, pal!

Steve Rothermel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back