Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary Edition, NFB-1AMP, NFB-3AMP)
Jun 30, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #751 of 785
I bought my NFB-1 Amp from Magna Hifi in the netherlands, and can absolutely recommend them!

https://www.magnahifi.com/en/

I have had lengthy Email conversations with Jos, one of the two owners of the Shop, and he even helped me with used Audio-GD gear i bought, like checking serial numbers and such, just top notch customer service!

Oh and they can also officialy repair any Audio-GD gear, even if you did not buy it from them.

I bought a used C-10 SE power amp 2 years ago. If it ever has any problems i will be happy i dont have to send this 40kg monstrosity to China for repair... :p
Nice, and thank you.. I'll check their web site for more info.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #752 of 785
With Nfb-1 i was hearing background noise with low impadance headphones at 50% volume. I'm not sure if it was unbalanced inputs or amp itself causing the problem.

Since C2 has unbalanced design from input to output i was wondering if anyone had background noise problems with their C2s.

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #753 of 785
Currently using NFB-1AMP. I only have 2 cans. Senn HD6XX & AKG K7XX. Bought a balanced cable for HD6XX and I haven’t used my K7XX (Single Ended) since then. Hook up the K7XX yesterday and I found that I need to crank up the volume abit higher in order to get comfortable listening volume. HD6XX (balanced) is around 34% volume at low gain setting and K7XX (SE) needs 41-43%. Does this mean NFB-1AMP only churned half of its total power for SE connection?

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #755 of 785
With Nfb-1 i was hearing background noise with low impadance headphones at 50% volume. I'm not sure if it was unbalanced inputs or amp itself causing the problem.

Since C2 has unbalanced design from input to output i was wondering if anyone had background noise problems with their C2s.
It's possible with very sensitive cans. Take note that with a very sensitive hp set, you would end up deaf at that level.

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #756 of 785
half the power out of se vs balanced on 1amp? really?

On the audiogd website the power ratings are not displayed in se and balanced just one?

"Yes, you only get half power on the NFB-1AMP if you are using it single ended. The C-2 amp gets full power if using the 1/4 inch jack or the xlr jack."

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #757 of 785
half the power out of se vs balanced on 1amp? really?

On the audiogd website the power ratings are not displayed in se and balanced just one?

"Yes, you only get half power on the NFB-1AMP if you are using it single ended. The C-2 amp gets full power if using the 1/4 inch jack or the xlr jack."
This is correct. The balanced output of the NFB-1 has about twice the rated power of the SE output. The C2 amp is only SE, so has the same amount of power as the balanced output of the NFB-1 amp. In other words, the NFB-1 is designed to be used balanced, with SE output provided mostly for convenience (although it's still very good and powerful). If you only have SE headphones and don't need a balanced connection, the C2 amp is more suitable than the NFB-1 amp.

The R-28 amp/dac was initially deigned with an SE output that has the same power as the balanced output, but for some reason this was reversed, and so the SE output is limited to half the power of the balanced output, as per the NFB-1.

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #758 of 785
This is correct. The balanced output of the NFB-1 has about twice the rated power of the SE output. The C2 amp is only SE, so has the same amount of power as the balanced output of the NFB-1 amp. In other words, the NFB-1 is designed to be used balanced, with SE output provided mostly for convenience (although it's still very good and powerful). If you only have SE headphones and don't need a balanced connection, the C2 amp is more suitable than the NFB-1 amp.

The R-28 amp/dac was initially deigned with an SE output that has the same power as the balanced output, but for some reason this was reversed, and so the SE output is limited to half the power of the balanced output, as per the NFB-1.

Right so the power ratings on the website are all balanced then. Thanks

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #760 of 785
Not to be the party spoiler, but the se out is 1/4 of the power, voltage is half. But it is still more than enough to drive my he560.

I was told se is 1/3 of balanced by kingwa but yeah still enough to run my he500 but no sense having a balanced amp and not using it for me.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #761 of 785
I was told se is 1/3 of balanced by kingwa but yeah still enough to run my he500 but no sense having a balanced amp and not using it for me.
Just buy a balanced cable?

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #762 of 785

If your source is single ended, you might as well just get an SE amp. The C2 would work just as well and you can still plug balanced connectors into it (they just won't get the benefit of a balanced signal). I have both the C2 and NFB-1AMP and they both sound excellent.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #764 of 785
Has anyone paired the NFB-11.38 Limited Edition (to use as just a DAC) with the C-2 or NFB-1 headphone amp ? I have a C-2 2017 Edition amp, and I am interested in the 11.38, due to it having the SABRE ES9038 Pro DAC chip. I have a feeling that this would make for an excellent pairing, due to these amps being completely neutral sounding, and the ES9038 Pro also being known as a neutral DAC chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back