Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary Edition, NFB-1AMP, NFB-3AMP)
Apr 29, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #767 of 785
I just got my NFB-1 It arrived today, took 7 days including weekend to arrive to my house in New Zealand.
Currently running it with the SMSL SU-8 & HD800s. Very impressed & seems to be a good combo so far.
(Edit: actually a Really good combo, Use "standard" EQ & its as often stated its like the amp disappears, very pleasant neutral sound Or use "original" EQ & its a small change but it seems to put the music just slightly more forward with just a hint of dynamic sound to it. ~If you cant hear it try something with electric organ/keyboard in it.)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #768 of 785
Since I did not find a separate branch for this amplifier (NFB-1AMP) - I will leave my 5 cents here:

Three weeks ago I received my new amplifier NFB-1AMP from Kingwa.

My NFB-1AMP connected to my DAC through XLR, the output level of my source (DAC) is XLR at 4.4 Vrms output.

1) When the volume is set to 0 - I still hear a little little bit of music from the my headphones.
Do you also?

2) I have and use Beyerdynamic Custom Studio headphones (that are not heavy in load, 80 Ohms).
I also have and use isodynamic headphones with a balanced cable (they have 40 ohms and 100 dB/1mW sensitivity).

When connecting any headphones, for example Beyerdynamic Custom Studio (at gain L and 6.3 output), the volume is quiet even at the number 40-50 (with gain L). At the same time, increasing the volume on the control from 1 to 40 - there is practically no increase in volume, it is very slow and still quiet.
And the usual average volume is reached only at number 60-70.
Shouldn't he easily pump over undemanding dynamic headphones (like Beyerdynamic Custom Studio) - already at a volume of 30-50 even at gain L and 6.3 output?

It also happens with my isodynamic headphones connected to balanced output.
My volume (gain L) is slowly adjusted and increased in the interval between 1 and 40 - I barely notice a volume increase. After 45, the increase in volume begins to be a little more noticeable, but only at 65-70 (on gain L) I achieve normal volume on my headphones.
At gain H - I am, too, between 1 and 35, I also notice a very weak and gradual increase in volume. And only and only starting from the interval 45-55 I achieve normal volume on my headphones.

All that I described above - Is a normal situation?
....because I don't know..

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #769 of 785
I own the C-2 2017 Edition amp, which is the single ended version of the NFB-1AMP. Our amps are the same, other than yours being balanced, and mine being the single ended version. It is the same experience with mine. I can also hear the music just slightly at zero volume.

In low gain mode, both of our amps allow for a volume adjustment of 0 to 99. In high gain mode, it is 0 to 63. For any headphone above 32ohm, you should be using this amp in high gain mode. These amps have plenty of power. In high gain mode, my C-2 is very loud with my Beyerdynamic Amiron Home headphone at 28 on the volume. This headphone is 250ohm.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #770 of 785
I will also mention as well that these amps are somewhat sensitive to the quality of RCA cables you are using. If you use 3 dollar trash cables, don't bother with them. Get a decent pair of 20 dollar gold plated RCAs. You will notice the difference in sound right away.

Feb 5, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #771 of 785
Since I did not find a separate branch for this amplifier (NFB-1AMP) - I will leave my 5 cents here:

Three weeks ago I received my new amplifier NFB-1AMP from Kingwa.

My NFB-1AMP connected to my DAC through XLR, the output level of my source (DAC) is XLR at 4.4 Vrms output.

1) When the volume is set to 0 - I still hear a little little bit of music from the my headphones.
Do you also?

2) I have and use Beyerdynamic Custom Studio headphones (that are not heavy in load, 80 Ohms).
I also have and use isodynamic headphones with a balanced cable (they have 40 ohms and 100 dB/1mW sensitivity).

When connecting any headphones, for example Beyerdynamic Custom Studio (at gain L and 6.3 output), the volume is quiet even at the number 40-50 (with gain L). At the same time, increasing the volume on the control from 1 to 40 - there is practically no increase in volume, it is very slow and still quiet.
And the usual average volume is reached only at number 60-70.
Shouldn't he easily pump over undemanding dynamic headphones (like Beyerdynamic Custom Studio) - already at a volume of 30-50 even at gain L and 6.3 output?

It also happens with my isodynamic headphones connected to balanced output.
My volume (gain L) is slowly adjusted and increased in the interval between 1 and 40 - I barely notice a volume increase. After 45, the increase in volume begins to be a little more noticeable, but only at 65-70 (on gain L) I achieve normal volume on my headphones.
At gain H - I am, too, between 1 and 35, I also notice a very weak and gradual increase in volume. And only and only starting from the interval 45-55 I achieve normal volume on my headphones.

All that I described above - Is a normal situation?
....because I don't know..
This is easy to explain if you understand how the NFB-1 volume control works (hint: read the manual). It's an exponential, not linear, scale (see graph copied from the user manual below), so on L gain at vol 50/100 you're only at about 5% gain, while on H gain you're at 30% on 50/100. My suggestion is to always use Audio-gd amps on H gain; you're not adding noise or losing quality, rather just adding gain quicker with the dial. Very normal behaviour. Great amp by the way, one of the best I've heard.

NFBvolume.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #773 of 785
.....Great amp by the way, one of the best I've heard.

Yes, I also dreamed about this amplifier for a long time to buy it.
And I hope that everything is fine with him. It was transported via DHL, it was well packed.
And according to this information:
http://prntscr.com/qxwf9f
And on this page http://www.audio-gd.com/Baby-EN.htm
- my amplifier had to go through all the stages of quality control.

I hope all this is really true. Then everything should be fine with my amplifier.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #774 of 785
As I noticed, the diagram (graph) that you brought in the picture is not the same anymore.

On my product page http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1AMP/NFB1AMPEN19.htm - as you can see, it is already different.
Interesting, yes. I know Kingwa changed the function of the amp in the R-28 (which I have, and which is the same as the NFB-1) to include a 'true' high gain mode (as opposed to the original NFB-1 where both L and H gain are actually the same power output, and the volume dial simply gets to max power faster on H gain). Not sure if he's revised the NFB-1 amp you have to be more like the R-28, but very possibly, and if so, even at max volume, you're only at 30% power on 100/100 in L gain mode according to your diagram. Bottom line: keep it on H.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #775 of 785
Interesting, yes. I know Kingwa changed the function of the amp in the R-28 (which I have, and which is the same as the NFB-1) to include a 'true' high gain mode (as opposed to the original NFB-1 where both L and H gain are actually the same power output, and the volume dial simply gets to max power faster on H gain). Not sure if he's revised the NFB-1 amp you have to be more like the R-28, but very possibly, and if so, even at max volume, you're only at 30% power on 100/100 in L gain mode according to your diagram. Bottom line: keep it on H.

Well, it kind of sounds logical that you write, gLer. and looking at the diagram (graph) on the product page....

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #776 of 785
Well, it kind of sounds logical that you write, gLer. and looking at the diagram (graph) on the product page....
I'd double/triple check your source output voltage and your software to make sure there isn't a digital volume slider that's turned down, or some type of EQ that's lowered the output gain from the source, or you're running something other than ASIO or WASAPI and Windows is controlling the volume externally.

I'm using an AGD D-77 and NFB1-AMP connected with ACSS cables. The input comes in to the D-77 through a Singxer SU-1 via I2S. Source is a PC running JRiver media player (internal volume disabled) and outputting ASIO via USB into the Singxer. I mention this because I usually listen on low gain between 10-20 volume on the NFB1-AMP. Anything higher would be painful. This is on either my ZMF Auteurs that are 300ohm, or my Dharma D1000s that are 26ohm.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #777 of 785
I'd double/triple check your source output voltage and your software to make sure there isn't a digital volume slider that's turned down, or some type of EQ that's lowered the output gain from the source, or you're running something other than ASIO or WASAPI and Windows is controlling the volume externally.

I'm using an AGD D-77 and NFB1-AMP connected with ACSS cables. The input comes in to the D-77 through a Singxer SU-1 via I2S. Source is a PC running JRiver media player (internal volume disabled) and outputting ASIO via USB into the Singxer. I mention this because I usually listen on low gain between 10-20 volume on the NFB1-AMP. Anything higher would be painful. This is on either my ZMF Auteurs that are 300ohm, or my Dharma D1000s that are 26ohm.

I have already written above that

My dac has no volume control, just like my digital sources.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #778 of 785
I mention this because I usually listen on low gain between 10-20 volume on the NFB1-AMP. Anything higher would be painful. This is on either my ZMF Auteurs that are 300ohm, or my Dharma D1000s that are 26ohm.
I think if I had to listen to the Auteur on 10-20 on the R-28/NFB-1 I'd be thinking my amp was broken because I wouldn't be able to hear much! :p

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #779 of 785
I think if I had to listen to the Auteur on 10-20 on the R-28/NFB-1 I'd be thinking my amp was broken because I wouldn't be able to hear much! :p
Yeah, it gets really loud, really fast. Maybe it's the ACSS connection. I've not tried connecting it via XLR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back