Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #1,306 of 1,485
I went through MH-755 to others iem to M7 to M9 and to Z1R.....if you can (and if it fits), save up for Z1R.
But from my experience, MH-755 is just one of those that I'd grab for quick fun here and there, or for exercise. I'd say I enjoy MH755 more in some situation, but overall, it can't beat M7 even in bass department. Pure fun...

Side question: what tips do you use for Z1R? I see you tested a few.

I ended using same eartips I'm using for my other great IEMs, its the bulk cheap TWS eartips from china, no brand, just happen that I have that, and they dont resonance bass at all so pure sound without additional resonance, just like cut-off foam eartips
fit isnt the best like spiral dot++ or azlas, but they sealed well to me.

here attached to Z1R
20210107_085649_HDR~2.jpg20210107_085724_HDR~2.jpg

they are short see umbrella part, and the opening is at edge of nozzle end

same with my mofasest Trio here
20201007_184732~2.jpg

sound similar with cut off foam eartips (no additional resonance from the eartips material itself, so pure sound from IEM nozzle go straight to your ear canal)
20201007_184856~2.jpg

Best eartips in terms of sounds in my finding, beating all of my pricier eartips collections. Problem is, i bought this few months back and cant find which one which store, and these eartips dont have any brand, they are dirt cheap for sure

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #1,307 of 1,485
I ended using same eartips I'm using for my other great IEMs, its the bulk cheap TWS eartips from china, no brand, just happen that I have that, and they dont resonance bass at all so pure sound without additional resonance, just like cut-off foam eartips
fit isnt the best like spiral dot++ or azlas, but they sealed well to me.

here attached to Z1R
20210107_085649_HDR~2.jpg20210107_085724_HDR~2.jpg

they are short see umbrella part, and the opening is at edge of nozzle end

same with my mofasest Trio here
20201007_184732~2.jpg

sound similar with cut off foam eartips (no additional resonance from the eartips material itself, so pure sound from IEM nozzle go straight to your ear canal)
20201007_184856~2.jpg

Best eartips in terms of sounds in my finding, beating all of my pricier eartips collections. Problem is, i bought this few months back and cant find which one which store, and these eartips dont have any brand, they are dirt cheap for sure
Yup...short tips not going to work for me.

For Z1R, my rotation (endless cycle of trying) is a toss up between stock silicone, symbio, and xelastec.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #1,308 of 1,485
I went through MH-755 to others iem to M7 to M9 and to Z1R.....if you can (and if it fits), save up for Z1R.
But from my experience, MH-755 is just one of those that I'd grab for quick fun here and there, or for exercise. I'd say I enjoy MH755 more in some situation, but overall, it can't beat M7 even in bass department. Pure fun...

Side question: what tips do you use for Z1R? I see you tested a few.

The mh755's sub-bass is way more present than on the m7 from crinacle's FR graphs, and that's usually how people define fun. I think the mh750 has even more sub-bass, but there are discussions that they are just the same and that the graphs are not accurate. So it thought the mh750 would be the funnest one. I haven't seen any FR that extends strongly into 20hz like the mh750.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,309 of 1,485
The mh755's sub-bass is way more present than on the m7 from crinacle's FR graphs, and that's usually how people define fun. I think the mh750 has even more sub-bass, but there are discussions that they are just the same and that the graphs are not accurate. So it thought the mh750 would be the funnest one. I haven't seen any FR that extends strongly into 20hz like the mh750.
right, my notion of "fun" might be incorrect. Given how M7 does everything so pleasantly (even compare to higher priced iems), it's hard to focus on its sub-bass being "fun" aspect. It's overall more balance so, to me, not as fun.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,310 of 1,485
May I ask what DAP you've all found to pair well with the M7 and M9? The iBasso DX160 is my current candidate but I don't mind spending a bit more for what you guys think might be even better pairings.

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,311 of 1,485
May I ask what DAP you've all found to pair well with the M7 and M9? The iBasso DX160 is my current candidate but I don't mind spending a bit more for what you guys think might be even better pairings.
Some people in the M9 thread did suggest the ZX507 as a good pairing, though its double the price :\

On the same note, has anyone had any experiences running the M9 on a qudelix 5K or any other portable balanced amp?

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #1,312 of 1,485
FWIW, I run my M7 balanced out of my 5K, and I enjoy it every bit as much as via my Chord Hugo directly, or balanced via a Topping A90 or Drop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X.

That is pretty strong praise for a device that is about 1/30th of the cost of the Hugo/A90 stack (at full retail price)...

Some people in the M9 thread did suggest the ZX507 as a good pairing, though its double the price :\

On the same note, has anyone had any experiences running the M9 on a qudelix 5K or any other portable balanced amp?

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #1,313 of 1,485
FWIW, I run my M7 balanced out of my 5K, and I enjoy it every bit as much as via my Chord Hugo directly, or balanced via a Topping A90 or Drop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X.

That is pretty strong praise for a device that is about 1/30th of the cost of the Hugo/A90 stack (at full retail price)...
Color me intrigued! I also noticed in your signature that you own a E1DA PowerDac? Just in terms of sound, how do you think it compares with the qudelix?

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #1,314 of 1,485

Did you change your balance cable? CMIIW but 5k's balance output is 2.5mm right? Any other option that has 4.4mm?

Color me intrigued! I also noticed in your signature that you own a E1DA PowerDac? Just in terms of sound, how do you think it compares with the qudelix?

seconded curious for the answer too

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,315 of 1,485
Did you change your balance cable? CMIIW but 5k's balance output is 2.5mm right? Any other option that has 4.4mm?
Someone on the Qudelix thread did use a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter. ddHifi makes one under model number, DJ44B.

If youre still talking portable USB dac amps, the Luxury and Precision W1/2 and Lootoo Paw S1 have native 4.4 balanced. Though the power output is a bit meh and they lack the bluetooth features of the 5K while costing more. For larger options, Fiio Q5s type C is another possibility though I wrote it off as the power output is worse then my Oppo Ha2se while costing twice as much.

EDIT: Looks like the Q5s TC SE output might be worse then my current amp/dac, but the balanced output is more then doubled. So I guess its worth it look if you plan on switching over to balanced!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,316 of 1,485
Damn - I forgot about my PowerDAC. It sounds really good for its price, and has more than double the power of the 5k.

But the PowerDAC has a REALLY raw UX. Ie, it is really kludgy to operate and just not ready for launch, IMHO. There is a multi step process to start it when connecting to a phone, and it often took several plug/unplug cycles to get it to connect. It defaults to maximum volume under certain situations - which is dangerous and unacceptable to me. I had fun playing with all the custom EQ settings and was amazed at how differently I could make it sound - until one day it inexplicably lost all my settings. It has been sitting in my closet along with my Tin P1, waiting to be eBay'd ever since.

The 5k Is so much more polished of a product, and sounds excellent. Even better than my previous favorite - ES100. I am sold on balanced connections - whether headphones or speakers, the sound is "bigger", and I can hear deeper into the music.

I had a 1.2m Null Luna that was defective, and Null was less than helpful about fixing it. Jason from Capistrano Audio chopped the cable into three 40cm lengths and terminated them with 2.5mm connections. He then made me a 1.2m 2.5 male/female extension cable. I run multiple IEMs into my 5k and ES100 when portable (ie as often as socially possible), and then use the extension cable to plug them into my main desk rig, as I mentioned above.

I am really, really happy with this combo for my M7, as well as the Etymotic ER4XR that I just bought, along with my etymotic er2xr for exercising.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #1,317 of 1,485
Oh, and I use 2.5mm to XLR connector that I got from Drop for $20. I also use a generic 2.5mm BAL to 3.5mm SE connector for when I run it out of my Hugo (rarely).

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #1,318 of 1,485
Damn - I forgot about my PowerDAC. It sounds really good for its price, and has more than double the power of the 5k.

But the PowerDAC has a REALLY raw UX. Ie, it is really kludgy to operate and just not ready for launch, IMHO. There is a multi step process to start it when connecting to a phone, and it often took several plug/unplug cycles to get it to connect. It defaults to maximum volume under certain situations - which is dangerous and unacceptable to me. I had fun playing with all the custom EQ settings and was amazed at how differently I could make it sound - until one day it inexplicably lost all my settings. It has been sitting in my closet along with my Tin P1, waiting to be eBay'd ever since.

The 5k Is so much more polished of a product, and sounds excellent. Even better than my previous favorite - ES100. I am sold on balanced connections - whether headphones or speakers, the sound is "bigger", and I can hear deeper into the music.

I had a 1.2m Null Luna that was defective, and Null was less than helpful about fixing it. Jason from Capistrano Audio chopped the cable into three 40cm lengths and terminated them with 2.5mm connections. He then made me a 1.2m 2.5 male/female extension cable. I run multiple IEMs into my 5k and ES100 when portable (ie as often as socially possible), and then use the extension cable to plug them into my main desk rig, as I mentioned above.

I am really, really happy with this combo for my M7, as well as the Etymotic ER4XR that I just bought, along with my etymotic er2xr for exercising.
Thanks for the reply! I have read similar things about the PowerDac in terms of it being way less polished then the 9038s. I was however intrigued by the idea of a full digital DAC, especially with the V2.1 being said to support 3.5mm SE adapters. They also appeared to have improved the app a lot so it could worth another try before you sell it.

Sorry to hear about your cable. Glad there was at least some way to repurpose it for your other listening devices.

I glad to hear you also like how they sound with the ER4XR. Its my favorite IEM at the moment (will see once the M9 arrives). Plus the Qudelix is a much versatile (and cheaper) then the Etymotion cable. Combined with all the software support (vs a lot of other dongles), I'm sold on the combo!

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,319 of 1,485
I really should ditch the powerdac - I just have no use for it, and I should let someone else enjoy it paired with the P1 (they do sound fantastic together).

I am really blown away by the ER4XR. Ultimately the M7 is the better device, but the immediacy of the Ety is intoxicating with the right music. I am truly thankful for being able to own both, and switch between them when in the mood.

Eager to hear your thoughts about the M9. I am still holding on to the hope that a 1ZR may come my way some day, but I suspect that the 5k will bottleneck it...

Thanks for the reply! I have read similar things about the PowerDac in terms of it being way less polished then the 9038s. I was however intrigued by the idea of a full digital DAC, especially with the V2.1 being said to support 3.5mm SE adapters. They also appeared to have improved the app a lot so it could worth another try before you sell it.

Sorry to hear about your cable. Glad there was at least some way to repurpose it for your other listening devices.

I glad to hear you also like how they sound with the ER4XR. Its my favorite IEM at the moment (will see once the M9 arrives). Plus the Qudelix is a much versatile (and cheaper) then the Etymotion cable. Combined with all the software support (vs a lot of other dongles), I'm sold on the combo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back