Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Sep 7, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #961 of 1,485
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #962 of 1,485
M9 (with stock silicone tips + SR15) probably has some of the best imaging and soundstage (accuracy) I’ve listened to. Everyone sounds so realistic, clean and natural. Makes a lot of my IEMs and the ones I’ve demo’d before sound muddy. Just a very transparent sound. I’ve only really felt this way before about the ER4SR, Zeus, A8 and LCDi4 of all the IEMs I’ve owned or demo’d. Not to mention, I really like the small nozzles (T200 or so)? which fits amazingly for me as I have rather narrow ears. Just overall, a great combination of SQ, comfort and build quality.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #963 of 1,485
I'm curious, what volume do you run the IER-M9 with on the A55 usually?

My pile of music isn't normalized so anywhere from 40-80 (out of 120, gain set to -3) depending on environment & not necessarily listening at 'full' sounding volume. Middle aged and work around industrial noise so hearing possibly a little worse for the wear- what volumes are you using?

(just to clarify: my high opinion of A55 has as much to do with form factor/functionality/personal utility as the sound quality which I consider 'good enough' for my use cases, not to say you can't possibly do better).

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #964 of 1,485
My pile of music isn't normalized so anywhere from 40-80 (out of 120, gain set to -3) depending on environment & not necessarily listening at 'full' sounding volume. Middle aged and work around industrial noise so hearing possibly a little worse for the wear- what volumes are you using?

Just checking to see if something was wrong with me as I saw a post/tweet/message somewhere (can't seem to locate it now) where the person was running 60+ for these when I was happy around 35-55 with A45 (with the latter range pretty high even for my quieter music).

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #967 of 1,485
Yuppy other of.my reviews in front page:D
Screenshot_20190913-172412_Chrome.jpg

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #968 of 1,485
Weird seeing M9 gaining momentum a year later. Remind me of EX1000

M7/M9 are quite popular in Korea/Japan or at least, quite often discussed and well received from what I've read. I think the regular pricing is putting a lot of people off.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #970 of 1,485
Anyone tried M9 with Fiio Q5S? How is the synergy?

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #971 of 1,485
I was almost determined to buy the M9 but I've already seen several opinions saying that they aren't a great improvement over the EX1000, except isolation and a kinder profile...

Sep 27, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #972 of 1,485
I was almost determined to buy the M9 but I've already seen several opinions saying that they aren't a great improvement over the EX1000, except isolation and a kinder profile...

What? no they are much more balanced and coherence, separation is on another level and M7/M9 is about very precision imaging. ONe of the best imaging even in TOTL world that let you hear exactly placement of instruments, with air and space between them, with very good depth even though soundstage wise they are not very wide. But actually teach me that wider soundstage not always better, give me a new experience from the old me that always seek for wider soundstage. And they are not the IEM that have WOW factor, more to growing type, an iem that will grow on you by the time, and very smooth even listen on higher volume.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #973 of 1,485
What? no they are much more balanced and coherence, separation is on another level and M7/M9 is about very precision imaging. ONe of the best imaging even in TOTL world that let you hear exactly placement of instruments, with air and space between them, with very good depth even though soundstage wise they are not very wide. But actually teach me that wider soundstage not always better, give me a new experience from the old me that always seek for wider soundstage. And they are not the IEM that have WOW factor, more to growing type, an iem that will grow on you by the time, and very smooth even listen on higher volume.

Just what I needed to decide to buy them. Thank you very much for your words!

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #974 of 1,485
Just what I needed to decide to buy them. Thank you very much for your words!

You wont regret at all, in fact for me they are better in every aspect. Just miss that Air moving from that 16mm giant DD, but soundwise, texture wise they are not losing at all, with much faster decay of course, It does sound like DD, like one of fastest DD that have great perfect decay (too slow you heard something missing in agility, more over on complex and fast tracks with high bpm. While too fast like average BA you will miss the rumble and decay).

So that is a yes?

Sep 28, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #975 of 1,485
You wont regret at all, in fact for me they are better in every aspect. Just miss that Air moving from that 16mm giant DD, but soundwise, texture wise they are not losing at all, with much faster decay of course, It does sound like DD, like one of fastest DD that have great perfect decay (too slow you heard something missing in agility, more over on complex and fast tracks with high bpm. While too fast like average BA you will miss the rumble and decay).

So that is a yes?
what I say of the M7 and the IER-Z1R
They're both great on their own ways. M7 is.more precise and fun(warm)-neutral while missing that texture and body decay of the 12mm driver. While the latter gives you a big soundstage and better bass texture it doesnt isolate that well
They both have their pros and cons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back