Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Nov 15, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,006 of 1,487
Z1r would be better I'm sure, but it's 4x the price

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,009 of 1,487
Hi Greetings. I am using IER Z1R with WM1Z for last one month. Regarding sound I am speechless. To me it is a Food like sound. Just a little issue with comfort.

Pictured portion touches my small ear and feels pain approx after 1 hour.

I tried lots of Tips from my collection including Stock, Spinfit, Jvc, Final. Certainly I got improved sound but discomfot existed.

Lastly I wore buds reversely and the problem disappeared. Attaching the photos if they help anyone. Thanks..
Screenshot_20191121-211458_Gallery.jpg
20191118_090038.jpg
20191111_132725.jpg
20191111_132715.jpg
20191121_211857.jpg

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #1,010 of 1,487
That's the same problem festering Tin T2-4, funnily on Tin T2 they have the L/R mirrorred so it actually fits most comfortably just like your last pic, it's just the T2 achieves that same comfort without the need to flip the L/R to the wrong side :sweat_smile:

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #1,011 of 1,487
Hi Greetings. I am using IER Z1R with WM1Z for last one month. Regarding sound I am speechless. To me it is a Food like sound. Just a little issue with comfort.

Pictured portion touches my small ear and feels pain approx after 1 hour.

I tried lots of Tips from my collection including Stock, Spinfit, Jvc, Final. Certainly I got improved sound but discomfot existed.

Lastly I wore buds reversely and the problem disappeared.

I have had other IEMs that I had to wear reversed (or sometimes down when they normally were worn over ear). Have been having comfort issues with the z1r to the point that I have been thinking of selling them even though I absolutely love the sound. I was having some of the issue you directly mention, but it wasnt the only spot that was causing discomfort. The extrusion on the bottom (I guess the ba is in there) would sit on the bottom of my ear and cause discomfort. And I couldnt get a good fit to get the earhooks to sit well.

It didnt even occur to me to reverse them, but my first impression is that it is immediately more comfortable. I will have to give them a longer listening session to see if any other pressure points develop and cause discomfort. But this may very well have saved these for me. Earhooks also seem to be placed much better now.

And with how large these already were and that I was already going for a shallower fit, its not like they look any more ridiculous this way than the normal way.

Nov 29, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,012 of 1,487
I have had other IEMs that I had to wear reversed (or sometimes down when they normally were worn over ear). Have been having comfort issues with the z1r to the point that I have been thinking of selling them even though I absolutely love the sound. I was having some of the issue you directly mention, but it wasnt the only spot that was causing discomfort. The extrusion on the bottom (I guess the ba is in there) would sit on the bottom of my ear and cause discomfort. And I couldnt get a good fit to get the earhooks to sit well.

It didnt even occur to me to reverse them, but my first impression is that it is immediately more comfortable. I will have to give them a longer listening session to see if any other pressure points develop and cause discomfort. But this may very well have saved these for me. Earhooks also seem to be placed much better now.

And with how large these already were and that I was already going for a shallower fit, its not like they look any more ridiculous this way than the normal way.
The reversed position shifts the 1 or 2 contact points, and results in eliminating the areas that I could feel in the ear, with the normal position, after using them for awhile. Not that bad, and I can adapt to it, but the reversed position pretty well eliminates it. Highly recommended to try it out. You don't have to remove/re-connect the earphones to try it. Just leave the wires normal, and flip the earphones around. Put the Right earbud in the left ear, and the Left one in the right ear. Swivel the cable so that it loops over the ear properly. This way, you can try it, before you decide if you want to switch it permanently. Yes, the Right and Left are reversed, but that is fine for a quick, effortless tryout.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,013 of 1,487
Thinking of getting either the Z1R or the M9... Price isn’t really a consideration, just sound.

My favorite full-size headphone is the Focal Clear- if you’ve heard that, you’ve heard my end-game sound. That is to say, a nice mid-centric and absolutely transparent sound with deep, impactful bass (that appears only when the track asks it to), and sweet, airy highs.

Can anybody who’s listened too both the Z1R and M9 weigh in? Many thanks!

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #1,014 of 1,487
I haven’t heard the Clears, but based on your description I’d say the M9 would suit you better than Z1R. M9 is more mid-centric than Z1R. Both have great bass but M9 might suit to your taste better. I personally prefer Z1R’s bass but some say they are too bassy.

The other problem with Z1R is their size and it seems lots of people have issues with getting the right fit.

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #1,015 of 1,487
Currawong posted his impressions of the Z1R

TLDW:
"Sony did a Fantastic Job"
"Where can i get 2K USD for this? This sound fantastic!"
"A True top grade Flagship"
"I enjoyed listening to these more time than I enjoyed listening to headphones"

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #1,017 of 1,487
Random question, but has anyone listened to the M9 with the Apogee Groove?

The Groove sliver 30th Anniversary Edition is my favorite portable, but it is finicky with multi-BA IEMs. Some it plays well with, others it messes with the frequency response.

For instance, it is terrible with the super-sensitive 12.8 ohm Andromeda, but fantastic with the harder-to-drive 28 ohm JH13v2. The M9, with an impedance of 20 ohms, almost exactly splits the difference between those two...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #1,018 of 1,487
If anybody is interested, the Apogee Groove plays very well with the IER-M9. The M9 is actually pretty tough to drive, as far as IEMs go.

EDIT:

I'm sure this has been touched on at some point in the 60-some-odd pages of this thread, but the M9 LOOOOOVES the Mojo. Best synchronicity I've heard from among my various kit. Even better than the Sony PHA-2A with 4.4 balanced.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #1,019 of 1,487
Still rocking a pair of XBA-40s. Really considering the M7 for a next purchase. Both 4 BAs, but almost 8 years apart. How much of a difference in sound am I looking at? Next to impossible to find a pair on the west coast here in canada to try.

I haven't got the XBA-40 or M7, but I do have the XBA-4 & M9, which are both pretty similar respectively.

XBA-4 is v-shaped and can sound a bit incoherent, especially compared to the M9. The M9 has a more mature, refined sound and is much more balanced. I would say the M7/M9 is a significant upgrade across the board compared to the XBA-4/XBA-40. Plus the M7/M9's have better ergonomics, removable cables, and are way less picky with sources with their higher impedance.

With all that said, I still love my XBA-4's and use them regularly to this day. They were my first "higher-end" IEM, and they sound awesome for EDM/Electronic music with the iPhone + lighting dongle. I've heard that the XBA-40's fixed that weird metallic sound in the treble. Amazing that you've got 8 years out of them! I've just hit 5 years with the XBA-4 and they're still going strong :)

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #1,020 of 1,487
I haven't got the XBA-40 or M7, but I do have the XBA-4 & M9, which are both pretty similar respectively.

XBA-4 is v-shaped and can sound a bit incoherent, especially compared to the M9. The M9 has a more mature, refined sound and is much more balanced. I would say the M7/M9 is a significant upgrade across the board compared to the XBA-4/XBA-40. Plus the M7/M9's have better ergonomics, removable cables, and are way less picky with sources with their higher impedance.

With all that said, I still love my XBA-4's and use them regularly to this day. They were my first "higher-end" IEM, and they sound awesome for EDM/Electronic music with the iPhone + lighting dongle. I've heard that the XBA-40's fixed that weird metallic sound in the treble. Amazing that you've got 8 years out of them! I've just hit 5 years with the XBA-4 and they're still going strong :)

THANKYOU! - 8 years and a ton of wear-n-tear, had to solder the plugs a few times. I guess you can say Sony got me into appreciating a quality pair of earphones. The sound signature is very easy to like.

My only concern now is the mmcx plugs on the m7/m9 look a little recessed in a way where it only takes proprietary cables. Will it take aftermarket upgrade cables?
**The grey and red bit in the picture.

Attachments

• IER-M7-05.jpg
    IER-M7-05.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back