Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Dec 5, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #1,021 of 1,485
Awesome to hear :) the XBA-4's did the same thing to me. You'll be happy with the M7's as they still have that same (but improved) sound signature

I haven't tried any aftermarket cables with the M9's, mainly because I don't want to wear out the mmcx connector. Sony seem to make their mmcx connections really weak and i learnt that the hard way with my XBA-Z5's.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,022 of 1,485
Random question, but has anyone listened to the M9 with the Apogee Groove?

The Groove sliver 30th Anniversary Edition is my favorite portable, but it is finicky with multi-BA IEMs. Some it plays well with, others it messes with the frequency response.

For instance, it is terrible with the super-sensitive 12.8 ohm Andromeda, but fantastic with the harder-to-drive 28 ohm JH13v2. The M9, with an impedance of 20 ohms, almost exactly splits the difference between those two...
Sony's tradition is to make all their gear playable in any gear, so their theme are mostly sensitive. but not enough for it to make them perceptible to output Impedance values of the source. so yeah as you tested they'd be fine. M7 and M9 esp, as like the EX800ST and EX1000 were designed for studio use

THANKYOU! - 8 years and a ton of wear-n-tear, had to solder the plugs a few times. I guess you can say Sony got me into appreciating a quality pair of earphones. The sound signature is very easy to like.

My only concern now is the mmcx plugs on the m7/m9 look a little recessed in a way where it only takes proprietary cables. Will it take aftermarket upgrade cables?
**The grey and red bit in the picture.
Sony's MMCX is actually quite high quality, they're the ones that started the gaps (if you peek, 4 slits on the circumference of the mmcx circle) put on the MMCX to make them has less chance of breaking contact, recent plug manufacturer only recently started following up and make MMCX have 2 slits.
Also locking housing to match the IEM so they don't rotate around like other MMCX.
it's still not recommended to plug in and out MMCX as they're infamous for wearing out. nothing Sony can do about that
other than that, the plug space for the IEM is actually quite wide so I've tried plugging in a couple aftermarket cable and they work just fine, what people need to care about is rather than the girth of the plug, its how long it is as the placement is just a tad deeper than other brands.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #1,031 of 1,485
Exactly why I'm asking. Surprised its marked down so much; as if it was a pricing error. They've got a great return policy and Id even consider the extended warranty through amazon.
Extended warranty? How many years in total?

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #1,033 of 1,485
3 years for about 60 bucks. I'd assume a full replacement or amazon e-gift card for purchase amount.
Warranty will be provided by a third party so you can forget about amagon gift card. They will however repair the unit. The real question though are you going to live with it for 3 years? :)

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #1,034 of 1,485
Exactly why I'm asking. Surprised its marked down so much; as if it was a pricing error. They've got a great return policy and Id even consider the extended warranty through amazon.
Sony's gear always come down in price with time, the perk of being such a juggernaut in consumer product manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back