Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #271 of 1,485
Hi everyone! for those in Singapore, Sony Singapore has warmly welcome us to a demo session at Wisma Atria on the 6th of October. You will also be able to interview two engineers who are behind the design of their new products. Those who are interested in going please DM me your name and email!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #272 of 1,485
But I don’t get why the Z1R is priced so high with 2BA & 1DD. I expected more drivers of either.

Again, the price of an IEM isn't just down to drivers alone.

Allow me to correct you. Z1R is a 2DD + 1BA setup, with all drivers developed, and produced, in-house, in Japan. Not Thailand, not China, not Malaysia, but Japan. The 12mm DD has an Aluminium-coated, Liquid Crystal Polymer (diamond-like) diaphragm, which is far more expensive to make than your run-of-the-mill dynamic drivers, and the 5mm is probably similarly advanced. All these costs go towards the high amount of R&D as well as the production upkeep, whereas the M7/M9 are made in Thailand, with the cables being made in China.

Z1R uses a Zirconium alloy housing, with a custom internal chamber. Manufacturing those will require new molds to be made, along with machining processes. They're not reusing an old template, this is a full new design. Considerably more expensive using Zirconium than Plastic in the M7, or Magnesium alloy in the M9.

Z1R's cable is... I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it's definitely some sort of SPC cable that is not only different from the M7/M9's provided cables, but also look considerably more expensive to make.

Everything about the Z1R's package far outshines the M7/M9's packaging, which is already impressive on it's own, but I wouldn't see any problem of the Z1R being more expensive.

So yes, it's a fair price. I'd rather have a well-tuned, well-manufactured, well-designed product, rather than some silly dozen-driver or higher nonsense that can drive your price to 5k USD or higher.

Arguing about driver count and driver tech is such a... simplistic way of thought.

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #273 of 1,485
Such interesting thread talk here. Talk of the M9 winning out over the Z5. People getting Triple Comfort Tips all over the place; the continued curiously about the IER-Z1R.

Folks making comparisons to the M7-M9 being sport IEMs....lol.

It’s like Christmas really.

Reviews stating that the M7 not a standard Sony tune!

“Overall, the M7 caught me by surprise. It’s a tuning I wouldn’t immediately associate with Sony, but I love what it has going for it. It’s forgiving, fun, articulate and - above all - deliciously smooth.”
Written by https://www.head-fi.org/members/deezel177.418353/

Such curiosity for this member. It will be nice to read some review where they compare the Z5 to the IER-M9. When the N3 arrived I had a feeling Sony would continue with the form for the next flagship. The IER-Z1R does share the N3 form to some extent, which is exciting as the N3 is insanely comfortable to wear. Though the IER-Z1R does look heavy. I can’t wait to try them. But still the more I learn, the more I realize how right people are when they say that IEM comfort is everything; it really is. I’m not sure I have tried a heavy IEM which is comfortable? My only worry about the IER-Z1R; I’m sure the sound will be mind-blowing!

It’s nice to see Sony introduce new IEM form factors with the M7/M9. And if what I’m reading is correct we also get an advancement in sound too. The Z5 is kinda a mixed bag. Once you replace the cables and get Triple Comfort Tips on them they work pretty good. The sound signature is not for everyone, though it’s safe to say they have a nice following despite the ergonomics. Nowadays there are handfuls of IEMs which better the Z5; though the Z5 is STILL pretty incredible with EDM.

I of course have not heard a thing but it looks like Sony is covering all the bases here. A nice range of pricing and differences in sound. Some easy to wear IEMs and the IER-Z1R to stay motionless with!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #274 of 1,485

Allow me to correct you. Z1R is a 2DD + 1BA setup, with all drivers developed, and produced, in-house, in Japan. Not Thailand, not China, not Malaysia, but Japan. The 12mm DD has an Aluminium-coated, Liquid Crystal Polymer (diamond-like) diaphragm, which is far more expensive to make than your run-of-the-mill dynamic drivers, and the 5mm is probably similarly advanced. All these costs go towards the high amount of R&D as well as the production upkeep, whereas the M7/M9 are made in Thailand, with the cables being made in China.

Z1R uses a Zirconium alloy housing, with a custom internal chamber. Manufacturing those will require new molds to be made, along with machining processes. They're not reusing an old template, this is a full new design. Considerably more expensive using Zirconium than Plastic in the M7, or Magnesium alloy in the M9.

Z1R's cable is... I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it's definitely some sort of SPC cable that is not only different from the M7/M9's provided cables, but also look considerably more expensive to make.

Everything about the Z1R's package far outshines the M7/M9's packaging, which is already impressive on it's own, but I wouldn't see any problem of the Z1R being more expensive.

So yes, it's a fair price. I'd rather have a well-tuned, well-manufactured, well-designed product, rather than some silly dozen-driver or higher nonsense that can drive your price to 5k USD or higher.

Arguing about driver count and driver tech is such a... simplistic way of thought.
I like Sony minimalist approach when it comes to driver count, you don't really need to have 6+ drivers to make better SQ, and not because most of re $$ must have more drivers

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #275 of 1,485
You have a point. But I for one was not aware of the Zirconium housing and other improved components as compared with the Z5.
I thought it’s the same configuration as the Z5.
I wouldn’t think of buying Z1R if it had the same drivers and material as the Z5 even though it sounds better at that cost and that’s what I based it upon.
Now my interest to the Z1R has swollen!
You Sir, deserve a pat on the back

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #277 of 1,485
When the N3 arrived I had a feeling Sony would continue with the form for the next flagship. The IER-Z1R does share the N3 form to some extent, which is exciting as the N3 is insanely comfortable to wear.

Yeah comfort remains my biggest concern for the IER-Z1R. XBA-N3 design philoposhy bleeding into the Z1R/M7/M9 IEMs makes sense as Kuwahara Eiji worked on them.

38738050_1788798594508156_5589678130747932672_n.jpg

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #278 of 1,485
Yeah comfort remains my biggest concern for the IER-Z1R. XBA-N3 design philoposhy bleeding into the Z1R/M7/M9 IEMs makes sense as Kuwahara Eiji worked on them.

Just a matter of two weeks till the Z5 gives up it's position to the IER-Z1R.
z5 g.jpg

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #280 of 1,485
I can say the MDR-Z1R make the XBA-Z5 sound veiled and lacking on mids and high extension. So better save for the ier-z1r

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #281 of 1,485
Have listened to my own pair of M7 for about 8 hours now. Really love the sound. Imaging and Separation is really good.
I do have one concern tho, the fit is really tricky for me. I guess I have pretty big "ear-holes" and since the nozzle isn't really deep or anything I can't get any good fit but with the hybrid L.
Did not have the issue with the N3, can use them without issues with M hybrid or M triples. Also I am kinda new to IEMs with no venting at all and its really hard to get fit without pressuring my eardrum (pushing air into the ear canal). I tried a lot around and can get them in but not really easy as N3, they where just put in and ready.

Can someone give tips on that ? I really dig the sound but the fit can be rather hard.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #282 of 1,485
Have listened to my own pair of M7 for about 8 hours now. Really love the sound. Imaging and Separation is really good.
I do have one concern tho, the fit is really tricky for me. I guess I have pretty big "ear-holes" and since the nozzle isn't really deep or anything I can't get any good fit but with the hybrid L.
Did not have the issue with the N3, can use them without issues with M hybrid or M triples. Also I am kinda new to IEMs with no venting at all and its really hard to get fit without pressuring my eardrum (pushing air into the ear canal). I tried a lot around and can get them in but not really easy as N3, they where just put in and ready.

Can someone give tips on that ? I really dig the sound but the fit can be rather hard.

hi, i got my M7 recently also, indeed i am using a 3rd party tip call AET 07 M size ( and i'm using the orange colour sony stock tips FYI)

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #284 of 1,485

Typically Sony iems have a good amount of bass - how do you find the M7? I know they're not on the level of the Z5, but how about the N3?

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #285 of 1,485
orange colour would be S right ? Hybrid or Triple Comfort ? I might give tip rolling a go and see if I find something that works for me.

YES, it's S_Triple Comfort . well , enjoy your journey~

actually i've tried the Final E Type/AET 07/JVC spiral dot on my EX1000.

the JVC tips enhance too much bass . the Final E got me too "sharp" in treble and the AET is perfect balance for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back