Thoughts on my ER4p
Feb 1, 2005 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

keyid

500+ Head-Fier
Hello this is yet another I got Er4p thread.
I got them 2 days ago and I wanted to share my thoughts on them.

Initially I was expecting this amazing clarity from these little phones, but at first I wasn’t impressed. It took couple hours to acclimate my ears to them; I began to hear highs were not just a shrill but became tenderer, every beat/note began to open up to me. I initially tried them with my ipod mini but I was not satisfied with the sound, then I tried with my laptop which sounded better but I was still did not like the mp3 sound, tried songs with variable to 320 lame. Then I plug them into my sony discman (D-T20 a very early model of discman) which has a really great phone out and now I don’t think I can use my er4p to listen to mp3’s. Which is sad because I have 80gigs of full albums, although 320 bit does sound a lot better then average rate; I don’t think I’m going to turn the 80 gigs into 300gigs.

I find that the shirt clip is essential; when the wires are being pulled down it feels very odd. I switch from foam to tri-flange depending how I feel. I also feel my ear canal is now larger then they usually are and less sensitive to the touch. Which I found out while cleaning my ears, I usually have an idea how far I Q-tip my ear now its harder to gauge it. Might have to order smaller foamies. Its impossible to eat with it or do anything that will move the wire from the ears to the shirt clip; the microphonics annoy the hell out of me. Sometimes there is a vacuum sensation in the ear, but I think I may be putting them in too far when that happens.

Design issues: (for me)
I wish etymonics could have hired a product designer, looks like an engineer was in charge of this one, the er6i does look better but its just fitting in with the others. The case is flimsy but I do love the red type on the case very nice touch. Everything has its place except for the small tote bag and the extra foamies which kinda annoyed me. They need to bring some of the red type look to the rest of the objects. The tote bag has fuzzy black inner lining which stick to my tri-flanges and foam when I store them it’s a bother to clean them off.

The sound is just getting better and better as I listen to them. Its great to listen the instruments if I want or just listen to the music. Sorry that I don’t have in-depth look at the actual sonics but there are enough on this board.
Summary: they are great! And will get better.

Feb 1, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 21
Hi keyid,

Just some of the usual feedback that I learned from this community myself -- you're probably still burning in the phones (that's why they get better and better). It also takes some time to get accustomed to the sound (it did for me, and now I love my er4's).

Yeah, I agree, they don't look like much for what they cost.
tongue.gif

You might want to try little amp plus the p-s converter cable that turns your 4p to the original 4S. A lot of people like that sound better (me included). I tried avoiding the amps forum but after getting the 4P, I got curious about the S version and now there's no looking back...

Anyway, enjoy your new purchase!

etysmile.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 21
yes its in my list of things i want, but for now I am going to enjoy them and probably when I get bored Ill get the S and an amp hopefully the macro or sr will be cheaper by then.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 21
I bought the Porta Corda MKII in the past group buy. It's fully burned in by now and I'd say it works pretty well with the etys.

I'm also waiting for the SR-71 which I bought yesterday. I will stop right there with amps for now...

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 21
I pretty much agree with the assessments here, just have to add - don't use Q-tips to clean your ears! This has been discussed in depth recently a few times, do a search - but in summary, although cleaning surface wax, Q-tips push the wax in the canal in further leading to impaction. Use a proper ear cleaning kit as found in a drugstore.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 21
I have been reading on the sr71, if only I could make myself put up the money for it. Theirs a little debate rent or amp rent or amp rent or amp lol. Man I just love how guitars sound on the etyies especially acoustic guitar. Im still not sure on the vocals, female vocals do sound good very distinct but something doesn’t sound right not sure how to put it.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 21
yea my doctor also told me not to use Q tips, but I try not to push in the Q tip by doing a circular motion around the canal. I really don't like the feel of water in the ear, there has to be a better way of cleaning. I think one of the best way is to use the tiny spoon, its this little scooper but you can't see what you scooping and kinda hard to ask someone to scoop the junk in your ear out lol. Q tip should do some R&D. Like having something expand as you pull out.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 21
I totally agree on the guitars...

I bought the SR-71 without trying them. I sort of have faith in the people here. I think I also have 30 days to try them anyway. In any case, I needed another amp as I will probably leave the porta corda at my office. I'm happy with the corda, though I have no frame of reference as it is my first amp. For this area, you will have to get feedback from the veteran audiophiles and amp experts around here. I can only vouch for the etys (a lot of people here will).
biggrin.gif
People with sensas or ultimate ears might tell you to get those instead but they're custom and thus really pricey.

bobeau -- interesting feedback on Q-tips. It seems I can learn about other things besides audio here as well.
icon10.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid
yea my doctor also told me not to use Q tips, but I try not to push in the Q tip by doing a circular motion around the canal. I really don't like the feel of water in the ear, there has to be a better way of cleaning. I think one of the best way is to use the tiny spoon, its this little scooper but you can't see what you scooping and kinda hard to ask someone to scoop the junk in your ear out lol. Q tip should do some R&D. Like having something expand as you pull out.

LOL. My parents used that tiny spoon on my when I was a little kid. can't imagine using it on myself. Looks dangerous.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 21
haha yea my parents used those on me too, I have heard kids doing it to themselves and going to the hospital. Also I forgot to mention is that etyies are great in fps games like CounterStrike. I can hear everything and by just moving my mouse alittle I can pinpoint where my victims are but I cant put the volume up to high. mmmm I think I should leave work and play some scout knives.

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 21
I am currently demoing the ER4 and E5 and was/am thinking many of the same things as you...

Quote:

I find that the shirt clip is essential; when the wires are being pulled down it feels very odd.

very true. i found the ety very uncomfortable, as the wires and the distance the "tube" stuck our of your ear created a nice pivot to really press against the wall of your ear canal... now with the clip, i don't notice any discomfort due to cable weight/pull.

Quote:

I also feel my ear canal is now larger then they usually are and less sensitive to the touch.

everytime i take them out, i feel like my ear canal has been stretched out, and the sensation doesn't go away very quickly.

Quote:

Sometimes there is a vacuum sensation in the ear, but I think I may be putting them in too far when that happens.

i have that too. i try breaking the seal by tipping the phone, which sometimes relieves the pressure, but not always. i also find i can't yawn or swallow without causing new pressure to build up. i also seem to have a bit of added pressure all day after listening to them. i don't listen very loud (i don't think), and not even for very long. plus, the piped-in "white noise" at work doesn't help my sense of pressure/hearing less details...

Quote:

Man I just love how guitars sound on the etyies especially acoustic guitar.

absolutely!! these are amazing for acoustic music. as i mentioned in another post, they sound very much like my magnepan speakers at home, very detailed, fast, and sound their best with acoustic music. more complex and "loud" music seems to be overwhelming...

cheers,
phil

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 21
Etys certainly encourage good ear cleanliness.
biggrin.gif

If I am going to use them immediately after showering then drying the ear canals
is important, not bone dry but free of 'loose' water,don't want scrub of the thin protective wax layer.
Personally I do use a quality cotton buds for this purpose, I guess it depends
on ones personal canal shape as to how effectively this can be accomplished.
Obviously a delicate touch is required because the ear drum is not quite as deep as you think,I can easily reach mine and give it a little once over,finally to check all is tensioned nicely give it a light tap .
eek.gif

Setmenu

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 21
I'll throw my 2 cents in here too. I received my Ety's this past Friday (from Earsonic, great price by the way). I also have a set of E3C's, so compared to the E3C's, the Ety's have a better sound, by what degree??? they do sound very good. I noticed at the beginning of this thread it was mentioned an engineer probably designed these, I would agree. Clip is absolutly needed, the twisted pair up to each ear rubs against clothing, annoying, The E3C's are far more comfortable and their cable system and cable management is superior. Isolation is very good on both. I use the mediums on the E3C's and so the mediums on the Ety's are just perfect. So, sound quality Ety's a 9+, ergonomics E3C's a 9+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back