Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 8, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,982 of 6,500
@purrin

Linear phase is less glary than Minimum Phase??? Oh men. You lost credibility on me there, sorry. You just confirmed my theory.

And I'm not talking about Minimum Phase digital filter, which still has post-ringing as you said, and which traded pre-ringing for timing phase distortion. Let us take my fave the Audiolab--it has Optimal Transient filters (3 of them) that has no pre and post-ringing at all. The most analogue-sounding digital filters I've heard. No glare at all, with very present and defined bass to sub-bass, especially on 3-way speakers.

I'm actually amazed that you didn't even account for what digital filters are used by each of the D-S and the like that you reviewed.

All DACs that sound the same--glary? It's because they're listening to the same digital filter. Period. All other factors mentioned here would be TOTALLY naught if you use the Standard/Linear Phase digital filter because of both ore and post-ringing.

If I'm to buy the Yggy or any other with R2R archi, I'll be buying the digital filter or no -digital filter or NOS or passive filter used, not the expensive R2R DAC chip.

May 8, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #4,983 of 6,500
@purrin

Linear phase is less glary than Minimum Phase??? Oh men. You lost credibility on me there, sorry. You just confirmed my theory.

And I'm not talking about Minimum Phase digital filter, which still has post-ringing as you said, and which traded timing phase distortion for pre-ringing. Let us take my fave the Audiolab--it has Optimal Transient filters (3 of them) that has no pre and post-ringing at all. The most analogue-sounding digital filters I've heard. No glare at all, with very present and defined bass to sub-bass, especially on 3-way speakers.

I'm actually amazed that you didn't even account for what digital filters are used by each of the D-S and the like that you reviewed.

All DACs that sound the same--glary? It's because they're listening to the same digital filter. Period. All other factors mentioned here would be TOTALLY naught if you use the Standard/Linear Phase digital filter because of both ore and post-ringing.

If I'm to buy the Yggy or any other with R2R archi, I'll be buying the digital filter or no -digital filter or NOS or passive filter used, not the expensive R2R DAC chip.

No one is forcing you to buy a Yggy, just like no one forced you to buy the Google IPO at $85 a share.

May 8, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #4,984 of 6,500
I have no doubt digital oversampling filters are more or less of an evil with their irremediate pre or post ringing. Brickwall filters many not be that transparent either but, ime, playing material NOS (even 44.1) always sounds more natural so I am not fussed about it.

I've heard a couple custom filters, or stuff from Wolfson that can do all sorts of stuff (2x-8x, LP, MP, etc.), and there are some that sound good to my ears. But I'm right there with you preferring NOS even for 44.1. I get that you and I are probably in the minority here, but something about it just sounds more natural to me in a sort of real way despite some compromises (compromises that I know do the opposite and make NOS sound less real and natural to others).

Speaking of which, I'd love to hear a TotalDAC sometime, though I must say I've been incredibly satisfied with my Audial Model S I recently picked up. It's heads and shoulders above the Hex or NOS1704 I had before.

May 8, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #4,985 of 6,500
For the record, I like Schiit gear. I'm just baffled by the statement. I'll continue to enjoy them. But What?

That company definitely likes to attract attention to itself in strange ways. From the company name to the component names (Yggdrasil?) to the cocky FAQ section on their website.

Whether the T-shirt is a deliberate inflammatory statement or a wardrobe malfunction doesn't matter -  it will draw attention.

If the yggy is as good as anticipation hype would lead us to believe then they may be able to walk the walk despite. If not that attention grabbing statement may backfire - leaving a few loyal D/S customers with a bad taste in their mouth.

May 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #4,986 of 6,500
I never heard that statement or anything about that shirt until it was brought up here. I don't know how many people attend Canjam but I presume wearing that t-shirt won't matter in the grand scheme of things. Now if it was a headline interview on head fi with Schiit saying all their dacs are schiit except the Yggy, that would be a different story. 

I think it was only meant to attract attention/more hype. The Yggy was one of the main talking points of Canjam after all. I doubt very many people cared if their other dacs would be present.

May 8, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #4,987 of 6,500
I understand that with dsd analog filter can be used avoiding in this way the use of digital ones.
So a nice option could be upscaling all formats to dsd and then apply an analog filter ?

I have tried this with JRiver (converting 44.1k PCM to DSD on the fly) software  +  Hilo DAC.     The result:    
* Hilo playing native DSD files, it's like heaven, it's phenomenal.   (although I prefer Hilo playing 192k PCM better)
* Playing live 44.1k converted DSD   -  still sounds like 44.1k PCM.    Event a little bit worse than the original 44.1k PCM.

May 8, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #4,988 of 6,500
I don't know whether Schiit likes to "attract attention" but it does like to do things its way.

Turn&cough if you haven't already and feel so inclined take a look at their very entertaining backstory. I think it explains a lot about why Mike would even think to wear that T-shirt!

May 8, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #4,989 of 6,500
  That company definitely likes to attract attention to itself in strange ways. From the company name to the component names (Yggdrasil?) to the cocky FAQ section on their website.

Whether the T-shirt is a deliberate inflammatory statement or a wardrobe malfunction doesn't matter -  it will draw attention.

If the yggy is as good as anticipation hype would lead us to believe then they may be able to walk the walk despite. If not that attention grabbing statement may backfire - leaving a few loyal D/S customers with a bad taste in their mouth.

This part of the cocky FAQ?

I’m sorry, I can’t take you guys seriously, what can I do?
That’s cool. Not everyone gets us. But ask yourself this: would you rather buy product from a soulless company that worries about how they can offend the minimum number of people in the world? If so, cool. There are lots of other manufacturers out there. 

They seem to me to be honest people, direct and to the point.  I find that refreshing in this hobby, personally.

May 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #4,990 of 6,500
Proudly claiming that every DAC your company has ever sold before last month is for people who don't care about music is a very confusing business move.

May 8, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4,993 of 6,500
  Proudly claiming that every DAC your company has ever sold before last month is for people who don't care about music is a very confusing business move.

I dunno.  Doesn't look like there's a glut of Yggdrasils lying around.  It, and this whole thread (and all the months of hype), and positive reviews from people whose opinions I trust (in no particular order) heavily influenced me to hold out for it — to splurge and buy it over all their other DACs (and all their competitors' offerings as well).  Doesn't look like the strategy is working out that poorly so far.

I cannot peel myself away from this DAC.  I've bought a CD player with AES-EBU output (per Moffat's rec to try it out) and I'm absolutely in heaven with this thing, reliving all my music all over again in a completely new light.

It was just a t-shirt, you guys. Get over it.

Totally.

May 8, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #4,994 of 6,500
  It was just a t-shirt, you guys. Get over it.

Exactly 
cool.gif

May 8, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #4,995 of 6,500

I dunno.  Doesn't look like there's a glut of Yggdrasils lying around.  It, and this whole thread (and all the months of hype), and positive reviews from people whose opinions I trust (in no particular order) heavily influenced me to hold out for it — to splurge and buy it over all their other DACs (and all their competitors' offerings as well).  Doesn't look like the strategy is working out that poorly so far.

I cannot peel myself away from this DAC.  I've bought a CD player with AES-EBU output (per Moffat's rec to try it out) and I'm absolutely in heaven with this thing, reliving all my music all over again in a completely new light.

Totally.

I'm not saying the Yggy isn't good.  It clearly is.  I'm saying that you're essentially insulting anyone who was stupid enough to buy any of your previous products and think it sounds good.  That doesn't make business sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back