Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Sep 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,426 of 6,500

I have measurements on hand and can assure you they did NOT match the low-ringing filter results from a couple other Wolfson DACs I measured...will PM you since I can't link them here due to HF forum rules. BTW, I am only speaking for the Mk1, not Mk2, which I should have specified (I've mentioned that I only had the Mk1 a few times before, though).

I'm sorry, I was only speaking of PWD II - I'll PM some info I have.

Thanks,

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #1,427 of 6,500
Sep 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #1,428 of 6,500
I'm pleased to learn I'm so susceptible to a pretty DAC :p

But I'm susceptible to pretty faces too, so what's new?!

ps: living in New Zealand, choice is limited as the domestic resale market is essentially non-existent in our tiny population. Trying a PWD2 (or similarly priced competitors) would have to be an outright purchase, though I dearly wanted to at one time. Having to be 240V, there'd be no chance of re-selling into the American market. The Ygg - if I buy - will like the PureDAC be on faith alone and an expensive mistake if I don't like it :eek:

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,429 of 6,500
For classical music with HD800 and tube amp (which I haven't decided on yet), which DAC would you prefer for 1000-1500$? Metrum Ocatve MK2, Gungnir...?

Really hard to guess if a warmer DAC and tube amp will be to warm and thick for HD800. Also I'm irritated since people wright about both they sound analog but then purrin mentions they sound totally different?

Generally I want to spend ~2500 for amp and DAC for HD800 and avoid any digital flare, digitis, or harshness that fatigues me fast.

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,430 of 6,500
Depends upon tube (or otherwise) amp or DAC. For example, I found Loki + Red Top (warmish DAC, organic sounding amp) too laid back for the HD800. It's also hard to say because different people have different sensitivities.

Between Gungnir and Octave, the Octave is definitely the more laid back of the two. The Gungnir is more honest and will give you bite with trumpets, horns, violins. The Octave is a bit smoother with a lusher vocal presentation, the Gungnir isn't far behind. I actually feel the Octave is slightly colored to present vocals in a special way. The Gungnir is also more dynamic. Neither DAC is as digital sounding as most other DACs out there; although the Octave is especially good in this regard, there are costs to that. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #1,431 of 6,500
Metrum Octave + DNA Sonett 2 + (stock)) HD800 here .

This combo is more oriented IMO for modern Jazz , EDM and all modern music.  If I'd listen mostly to classical , I'd keep the dac and would maybe change the amp for something with more Clarity/Sparkle/Bite in the treble ( EC Zana deux maybe or a solid state amp?  ) but my Octave adds something special to my (unmodded) HD800. There's something so real in the overall tone I really like.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,432 of 6,500
Hi Purrin, as one of the few people who has compared a lot of the high end gear.

What would you recommend with the Abyss, LCD-3, hd-800 as an amp: The GS-X DACT or EC 4-45?. I listed to almost every genre. But I like clean strong bass, rolled off treble and warm highs.

Also DAC choice for either of these up to 5k?

Thanks for replying if you get a chance.

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #1,433 of 6,500
  Hi Purrin, as one of the few people who has compared a lot of the high end gear.

What would you recommend with the Abyss, LCD-3, hd-800 as an amp: The GS-X DACT or EC 4-45?. I listed to almost every genre. But I like clean strong bass, rolled off treble and warm highs.

Also DAC choice for either of these up to 5k?

Thanks for replying if you get a chance.

I know the answer to that. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #1,434 of 6,500

He might surprise you with the Ragnarok 
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #1,435 of 6,500
Sep 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #1,438 of 6,500
  Well Schiit, I hope it's not the Ragnarok!

But if it is, it saves me some serious money!

Don't tease :p
What would you suggest??

Yo, answer to my PM, man.

My educated guess from purrin's previous posts is EC445, but it might have changed now....

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,439 of 6,500
  Well Schiit, I hope it's not the Ragnarok!

But if it is, it saves me some serious money!

Don't tease :p
What would you suggest??

I have not heard either amp although I nearly bought the GSX MK2 and decided on the DNA Stratus instead. 

I think if you look at previous posts from Purrin you can see that he prefers the EC 445 and probably by a large margin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back