Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Jan 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #241 of 6,500

As to the BADA USB and OR5 comments, I actually agree with this (the sense of air and space) but to much more limited extent (based on testing with the Alpha2 and Vega.)

OR5 AES +15
Berkeley Alpha USB AES +16

Even, then I felt the differences were too close to call (especially when we went back and forth). Changing the OR5 from Kernel Streaming to WASAPI in JRiver MC seemed to even up the score. I still gave the BADA USB the benefit of the doubt by giving it one extra point. All this keeping in mind that my OR5 is close to stock, lacking any SPDIF upgrades.

Where the OR5 runs away from the BADA USB  is with the i2s output, which the Berkeley does not provide. And only a few DACs offer an compatible i2s input.

There are so many variables. Did you try ASIO4All and JPLAY? With the converters I had around I preferred these two a notch above the rest.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #242 of 6,500
No ASIO since OR5 does not support it. I think we used ASIO for the Berkeley. I'm not sure since we used one of the other ninja's laptops, not mine. (I actually prefer ASIO when available.)

As far as JPLAY, it doesn't do anything on my playback laptop. I run SSDs and "harden" the heck out of it, disabling all unnecessary Windows services, setting process priorities, no security software, and disabled networking too.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #243 of 6,500
  No ASIO since OR5 does not support it. I think we used ASIO for the Berkeley. I'm not sure since we used one of the other ninja's laptops, not mine. (I actually prefer ASIO when available.)

As far as JPLAY, it doesn't do anything on my playback laptop. I run SSDs and "harden" the heck out of it, disabling all unnecessary Windows services, setting process priorities, no security software, and disabled networking too.

To it "doesn't do anything", I assume that's meaning noticeable changes in sound. Depending on the combination of gear I was using/testing, OS, etc I too came to that conclusion several times. It was that and that at some point other plugins cought up with them. The latest version of JPLAY does sound improved to me though, whatever he did to it. This is on Windows 8.1 and with the specific UltraStream engine for Windows 8 and a few other tweaks.

ASIO4All to me works to slightly more air and spark at the top, while JPLAY has slightly more body and bass impact. The rest of plugins I no longer spend any time with on any of my gear. The differences between these two are very small, so that I only hear them on the most transparent/detailed gear like the SR009, HD800s etc.

If it comes around I suggest you try the PUC2Lite USB to AES with the PWD2. I am using it with great success to get rid of that layer of lazyness the PWD2 USB has with improved details and focus.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #244 of 6,500
ASIO4ALL is not ASIO, just a wrapper for WDM driver, why would anyone want to use it, native ASIO all the way (if available), other than that WASAPI?
JPLAY did nothing for me either, got free version with Vega.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #246 of 6,500
It does not cost anything to try. If you all did and didn't hear differences fair enough. As we all know theorycrafting and audio don't always match. Just saying.

Anyway, I agree there are more significant things than plugins to spend time with.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #247 of 6,500
A few HD800 users I know have felt that the Schiit Gungnir sounded too mid-forward. The HD800 has a 5-6 peak. That the region which gives sounds an edge or a snap. This has not been my experience at all however, at least with the equipment use in this test. I surmise the Gungnir's overly dynamic nature contributes to this effect. So in essence, I would say the highs are pretty crisp with good attack.

Overall, the Gungir is slightly warm sounding. It is not bloated at all in the bass. As for being "overly extended" in the bass, I would consider that a good thing. The Gungir can hit very low and with appropriate authority. In other words, with specific harpischord tracks, I can hear a very palpable, yet low-level sub/low-bass "thump" "thump" of the action of the keys. It's harder to heard this with the leaner sound DACs.

In other words, the Gungir is not the Audeze of the DAC world.

Purrin,
What is your opinion on the USB implementation on the Gungnir (USB 2)? I am using a USB to SPDIFconnection (BNC Halide) and wondering whether USB to USB is a better connection.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #248 of 6,500
Purrin,
What is your opinion on the USB implementation on the Gungnir (USB 2)? I am using a USB to SPDIFconnection (BNC Halide) and wondering whether USB to USB is a better connection.

Read the Gungnir USB2 description on page 1.  He likes it.

A comparison to the other inputs on Gungnir would be good, though.  I didn't see one...

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #249 of 6,500
Purrin, have you ever had a chance to try out the exaSound e20 DAC? 
I had the mkII version early last year then upgraded to mkIII with femto clock. 
Replace stock power supply to TeddyPardo 12/2 and it sounds (to my ears) slightly better than Berkeley alpha 2.
You should look into doing a comparison/review.. George at exaSound might supply you with a loaner unit. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #250 of 6,500
  Read the Gungnir USB2 description on page 1.  He likes it.

A comparison to the other inputs on Gungnir would be good, though.  I didn't see one...

In order of preference:

• USB Gen 2
  • Coax SDPIF from PC ("decent source" in that it's is superior to the built-in USB on PWD2 - this info provided for reference)
  • USB Gen 1 

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #252 of 6,500
  UPDATE: Luxman DA-06 added to Beyond Classification

Holy moly, great timing - I just added this DAC to my consideration list based on high praises from other reviewers. I was going to get it if I couldn't wait for the Schiit Yggi, but now it sounds like it wouldn't be to my liking - I like attack and separation.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #254 of 6,500
It appears all the "VERY GOOD STUFF"  on page 1 had the benefit of a good DDC like the OR5 whereas the other stuff were driven from the stock USB inputs or the digital outs of consumer grade pc's. having first hand experience with a decent DDC (battery driven SOtM dx-USB HD), SPDIF is hands down superior to USB. I am curious to know how the rankings would have changed had all the DAC's been compared like-for-like. 

One could have the impression reading earlier posts that gungnir's gen2 usb implementation is superior to SPDIF. Nothing could be further from the truth...

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #255 of 6,500
The e20 is tempting but, for those looking towards a 9018 based DAC, something tells me that the upcoming Oppo HA-1 will offer similar performance and much better VFM.

Patience vs instant gratification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back