Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #4,291 of 6,500
Not at all ... many issues though with people who insist that X sounds better than Y just because they spent a fortune on X. Also very annoyed when I pursue one of those 'tips' and end up empty handed. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who fried his paycheck like that...a lot more than once.

True, people should always provide limits when offering recommendations eg YMMV etc because IME nothing is universally valid across all systems and to all ears, music preferences etc.  Even if we heard the same thing, there would be difference in how we classify and make sense of what we hear.  There is definitely potential to get burnt and waste money on stuff - I have been there, however this is part of the learning experience and hopefully brings us closer to understanding what works and what doesn't work.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #4,292 of 6,500
R2R chips are hard to make and expensive. Deltasigma easily wins the price war. Plus, the DSs sell better/easier. Most people just test a few hours in a shop and the extra DS detail easily wins in that environment. R2R chips also cant do DSD (at least I dont know of any such chip)

It's not so hard to see why the DSes are leading nowadays .. but you never know. If the iggy lives up to the hype, the wave can easily turn. And then @purrin can truly call himself messia
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought DSD was invented specifically to complement D-S DAC's or something like that?

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #4,294 of 6,500
Now that I just bought from a friend his  collection of 2500 CD-ROMs of Classical Music :D  , mostly rare CDs, I need a good CD-Player 

What do you think about this Aesthetix Romulus CD player / Tube DAC ?  It's got very good reviews...and a new "signature" version is now available

This is Romulan Technology, stolen from a decommissioned Romulan battle cruiser.

Klingon Technolgy is superior.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #4,295 of 6,500
Klingon technology ? My friend, I think I speak for about a billion lifeforms when I say that nothing this perfect ever graced the deck of a Federation starship, before or since. Resistance is completely and utterly futile.  

Man, what I would have given to get her in my Cube for a quick trip around the Delta quadrant. Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,296 of 6,500
Gotta agree, those arguments can easily go bad and annoy everyone. OTOH, threads where everyone agrees with everyone else end in the lala-land where everything sounds better than everything else ... especially if newer and/or more expensive.
Personally, I dislike that even more. And noone needs a forum for that kind of stuff ... just read TAS, pay the audiotax and be happy thereafter.

It's a matter of priorities and not putting the cart before the horse. If people want to go down that route after they've settled the big decisions, I'm all for it. But it's dumb worrying about that stuff beforehand. For example: wondering if Wyrd improves Yggy, wondering if JPLAY works with Yggy, wondering if magic rocks will improve Yggy, etc. I already chucked my magickal speshal Off-Ramp 5 USB converter (Yggy doesn't need it), and I'm all the more glad that I have one less tweak to be OCD about.

Why would anyone stop making the Theta is beyond me and suite sad really. It is a perfect blend of the Sabre and Gungnir but with naturalness and musicality neither of them has. Everything sounds fabulous from old mp3 theme songsto high quality classical. It just flows. The music is just music. I honestly say I will probably stay with this DAC as long as it lasts and then try to fix it if it breaks... I do not crave for Gungnir or any other DAC atm for the first time... The amp is also really good, so I see it between the HE/Dharma/Ether, then one day probably a new amp and hopefully many many days later a new DACs. The Theta is all I've been looking for in the last year or so for a price that I'd never even think possible and simply unfair to what it brings to the table... I owe Purrin credit for this at least. I now really believe that R2R is the only way now

Holy Moly! You ended up getting one after all. Yes, blend of Gungnir and Sabre aspects + more "musicality" as you say. Regarding R2R, not all R2R sound like the Thetas. Most other R2R DACs lack the resolution, space, separation of the Thetas. Currently available R2R DACs tend have great tone and fluidity, but are lacking in resolution. For me, there was always this dichotomy between R2R (good tone, fluidity, but lacking resolution and attack) and D-S (good resolution and attack, but having digital artifacts), until I re-discovered the Theta DAC.

On "musicality", wait until you hear the Schiit R2R/string DAC. Moffat wasn't kidding when he said his wife was brought to tears.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #4,297 of 6,500
"On "musicality", wait until you hear the Schiit R2R/string DAC. Moffat wasn't kidding when he said his wife was brought to tears."

What are you exactly referring to-?

Is it by chance the. Yiggy?..

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #4,298 of 6,500
  "On "musicality", wait until you hear the Schiit R2R/string DAC. Moffat wasn't kidding when he said his wife was brought to tears."

What are you exactly referring to-?

Is it by chance the. Yiggy?..

Mike, might be time to move to decaf, my friend. Of course that's what he's referring to. My guess is that you're currently refreshing the Schiit homepage every 30 seconds and clearing your browser cache / checking Head-Fi during the remaining 29 ..... 
blink.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #4,300 of 6,500

Mike, might be time to move to decaf, my friend. Of course that's what he's referring to. My guess is that you're currently refreshing the Schiit homepage every 30 seconds and clearing your browser cache / checking Head-Fi during the remaining 29 ..... 
blink.gif

LOL,my right hand has been in pain for days
Could use a few valium,as well..

Yiggy has been put on the back burner,,the Theta is coming in tomorrow..getting a little anxious.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #4,301 of 6,500

... and you (and the rest of us) aren't?

Sadly, I already have a 35lb DAC - the prospect of paying freight and Customs on another doesnt do it for me, but I look forward to your impressions. I admire Yggdrasil for what it represents - one man who never gave up on his belief that an entire industry took a wrong turn 20 years ago. There are renegades in every industry, but how many get to turn their dream into a production reality ?? Whether this is the Bugatti Veyron for the price of a Golf is a question for others to answer, but this train has to pull into the station very soon by my calculations. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #4,302 of 6,500
  LOL,my right hand has been in pain for days
Could use a few valium,as well..

Yiggy has been but on the back burner,,the Theta is coming in tomorrow..getting a little anxious.

OK- perhaps we need to replace 'decaf' with 'valium' ..... and I'm prepared to give you a leave pass on the right hand : you know I'd normally have a field day with that quote. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #4,303 of 6,500
LOL,Your a sick puppy,but you know your ...stuff
Lets move on!!!!..back to the Yiggy

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #4,304 of 6,500
  Nice choice. You also have planars too!! I tried the Theta with my DT880 and it couldn't scale the bass as well as what my Alpha Dog can do with the source material. Planars seem to benefit the most off the Theta DAC because I have noticed everyone who has bought one owns some form of planar headphone.

Haha yep LCD2 & HE500.  That was the very first thing I noticed when i hooked up the progeny to my mac, that exponential heft in bass that's still quick. Taken as a whole I love what it does with my music.  I don't have a completely lossless collection but I feel like no matter the source the theta just makes listening enjoyable. 

BTW do you play with the Phase when you listen to your music?  I keep it inverted 98% of the time.  It sounds like it brings the music more into focus especially the bass kicks like a drum, strings, and percussion.  It sounds like i hear the "hit", "pluck, or "strike" more on inverted.  

Why would anyone stop making the Theta is beyond me and suite sad really. It is a perfect blend of the Sabre and Gungnir but with naturalness and musicality neither of them has. Everything sounds fabulous from old mp3 theme songsto high quality classical. It just flows. The music is just music. I honestly say I will probably stay with this DAC as long as it lasts and then try to fix it if it breaks... I do not crave for Gungnir or any other DAC atm for the first time... The amp is also really good, so I see it between the HE/Dharma/Ether, then one day probably a new amp and hopefully many many days later a new DACs. The Theta is all I've been looking for in the last year or so for a price that I'd never even think possible and simply unfair to what it brings to the table... I owe Purrin credit for this at least. I now really believe that R2R is the only way now

Well put conqueror2, took the words right out of my mouth.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back