Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #4,276 of 6,500

great stuff - thanks for sharing I will look into that for sure. Can you PM me some more info on it maybe a few links 
beerchug.gif

Have you got any pics you could send? 

Cheers

Paddy

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #4,277 of 6,500
But nevertheless, why dont you tell us about the diffs you heard, how did you test, etc !? It's not like we all have better things to do/discuss around here
smily_headphones1.gif

Fully agreed.

I will use an infamous analogy. Diet Coke and regular Coke do not taste the same to me. I don't at all feel a need to "test" that.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #4,278 of 6,500
I'm under no illusion that any of my msges will stop people from experimenting. It didnt even work for me. No matter how many crooked signs I saw and how many ppl warned me, I kept pushing and trying. For hours, days or even weeks .. actually I prolly spent months testing almost every conceivable/available software tweak and app. Thinking about writin a big review at some point. But it's really hard to find the time for a proper writeup and on top of that, my conclusion is very easy to summarize: don't!

But nevertheless, why dont you tell us about the diffs you heard, how did you test, etc !? It's not like we all have better things to do/discuss around here 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think we are past the audio quality disagreements on this thread and the whole...you didn't test accordingly and your brain is playing games with you...etc..etc..

Quote:

Fully agreed.

I will use an infamous analogy. Diet Coke and regular Coke do not taste the same to me. I don't at all feel a need to "test" that.

What about green tea:D

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #4,279 of 6,500
great stuff - thanks for sharing I will look into that for sure. Can you PM me some more info on it maybe a few links :beerchug:

Cheers

Paddy

We started a raspberry pi thread somewhere. Let's discuss in there... Sorry don't have the link handy as I'm on mobile.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #4,280 of 6,500

great stuff - thanks for sharing I will look into that for sure. Can you PM me some more info on it maybe a few links 
beerchug.gif

Cheers

Paddy

We started a raspberry pi thread somewhere. Let's discuss in there... Sorry don't have the link handy as I'm on mobile.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762336/raspberry-pi2-as-music-server

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,281 of 6,500
I went ahead and built myself a little Raspberry Pi music player after reading a bit about it on this thread. Cost me less than $100, took all of 30 minutes to get going (most of that was me not being patient enough waiting for it to fully boot an initialize), and works like a charm driving my Gustard U12 into whatever (Theta, Adcom, Audio-GD, etc). It runs Volumio, which I control from my PC via a web interface or using an app on my phone.

I don't think there's any difference in the audio, but if you're into having a dedicated unit, this is certainly cheap and effective.

Pretty much the best way to do it ... sounds same as good as those $5K 'wonders' that so many people are buying for some reason.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #4,282 of 6,500
Apr 20, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #4,284 of 6,500
From most of your post, it seems like you have an issue with how people spend "their" money...  

Not at all ... many issues though with people who insist that X sounds better than Y just because they spent a fortune on X. Also very annoyed when I pursue one of those 'tips' and end up empty handed. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who fried his paycheck like that...a lot more than once.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,285 of 6,500
I think we are past the audio quality disagreements on this thread and the whole...you didn't test accordingly and your brain is playing games with you...etc..etc..

Gotta agree, those arguments can easily go bad and annoy everyone. OTOH, threads where everyone agrees with everyone else end in the lala-land where everything sounds better than everything else ... especially if newer and/or more expensive.
Personally, I dislike that even more. And noone needs a forum for that kind of stuff ... just read TAS, pay the audiotax and be happy thereafter.

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,286 of 6,500
Why would anyone stop making the Theta is beyond me and suite sad really. It is a perfect blend of the Sabre and Gungnir but with naturalness and musicality neither of them has. Everything sounds fabulous from old mp3 theme songsto high quality classical. It just flows. The music is just music. I honestly say I will probably stay with this DAC as long as it lasts and then try to fix it if it breaks... I do not crave for Gungnir or any other DAC atm for the first time... The amp is also really good, so I see it between the HE/Dharma/Ether, then one day probably a new amp and hopefully many many days later a new DACs. The Theta is all I've been looking for in the last year or so for a price that I'd never even think possible and simply unfair to what it brings to the table... I owe Purrin credit for this at least. I now really believe that R2R is the only way now

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,287 of 6,500
Gotta agree, those arguments can easily go bad and annoy everyone. OTOH, threads where everyone agrees with everyone else end in the lala-land where everything sounds better than everything else ... especially if newer and/or more expensive.
Personally, I dislike that even more. And noone needs a forum for that kind of stuff ... just read TAS, pay the audiotax and be happy thereafter.

Well, what I am trying to tell, is that I trust my ears very much and I am tired of arguing the same old things, and I do hate it when someone I don't know and doesn't know me comes and tells me that all I heard was just a trick my brain played on me. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this is the case  here, but it often leads to that.

And I agree, the price is not a quality assurance in audio. I did listen to products that were cheaper and better than other considerably more expensive ones, so no surprise there. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4,288 of 6,500
Well, what I am trying to tell, is that I trust my ears very much and I am tired of arguing the same old things, and I do hate it when someone I don't know and doesn't know me comes and tells me that all I heard was just a trick my brain played on me. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this is the case  here, but it often leads to that.

And I agree, the price is not a quality assurance in audio. I did listen to products that were cheaper and better than other considerably more expensive ones, so no surprise there. 

Guess everyone is tired :). But people make the same mistakes over and over again. Lots of 'smart' marketing, hype, etc ... Unfortunatley hope and dreams sell much better than spec sheets and the plain truth.

P.S.
I think I visited your town (bucharest?) last week ... quite nice and lively, especially with the warm spring weather

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #4,289 of 6,500
Why would anyone stop making the Theta is beyond me and suite sad really.

R2R chips are hard to make and expensive. Deltasigma easily wins the price war. Plus, the DSs sell better/easier. Most people just test a few hours in a shop and the extra DS detail easily wins in that environment. R2R chips also cant do DSD (at least I dont know of any such chip)

It's not so hard to see why the DSes are leading nowadays .. but you never know. If the iggy lives up to the hype, the wave can easily turn. And then purrin can truly call himself messiah :)

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #4,290 of 6,500
R2R chips are hard to make and expensive. Deltasigma easily wins the price war. Plus, the DSs sell better/easier. Most people just test a few hours in a shop and the extra DS detail easily wins in that environment. R2R chips also cant do DSD (at least I dont know of any such chip)

It's not so hard to see why the DSes are leading nowadays .. but you never know. If the iggy lives up to the hype, the wave can easily turn. And then @purrin can truly call himself messia
smily_headphones1.gif

Except the Theta does detail and nuances better than any other Sabre DAC I owned before 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back