Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 21, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #4,306 of 6,500
Imagine, next week we get pages of how the Yggdrasil kicks the Theta's butt all directions including up and down.....  I can't wait....   
L3000.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #4,307 of 6,500
But you will need to wait for few days before the Yggy shows it's true performance. So it looks like next, next week then... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #4,308 of 6,500
  Imagine, next week we get pages of how the Yggdrasil kicks the Theta's butt all directions including up and down.....  I can't wait....   
L3000.gif

purrin already posted to that extent weeks ago, but I take your point. I'm still reeling from the fact that two of my dream DACs, the Berkeley and the Bricasti, were cast aside like something purrin found in the bargain bin at K-Mart the day he got a vintage R2R DAC. I think that was the point where the earth shifted on it's axis and every s-d DAC on that first page was effectively just there to make up the numbers. In some respects, its a shame the manufacturers dont get right of reply as they do in Stereophile reviews, but that would have turned this into an even bigger opus than it already is. I would very much like to hear from one of the engineers working at either of those companies as to why they've persisted with sigma-delta when their sticker prices would seem to indicate they could afford to implement an alternative. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #4,309 of 6,500

purrin already posted to that extent weeks ago, but I take your point. I'm still reeling from the fact that two of my dream DACs, the Berkeley and the Bricasti, were cast aside like something purrin found in the bargain bin at K-Mart the day he got a vintage R2R DAC. I think that was the point where the earth shifted on it's axis and every s-d DAC on that first page was effectively just there to make up the numbers. In some respects, its a shame the manufacturers dont get right of reply as they do in Stereophile reviews, but that would have turned this into an even bigger opus than it already is. I would very much like to hear from one of the engineers working at either of those companies as to why they've persisted with sigma-delta when their sticker prices would seem to indicate they could afford to implement an alternative. 

I doubt the engineers have much say in the matter.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4,312 of 6,500
Why would anyone stop making the Theta is beyond me and suite sad really.

Speaking about Theta, here's another side of their story
http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/THETA%20Universal/theta.html

For some funny reason, the Theta website contains a very different version of that story
http://www.thetadigital.com/legacy_products.shtml#data

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #4,313 of 6,500
its live ~!@~!@

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,317 of 6,500

It's only good business sense until Mike Moffat releases the best DAC the world has ever seen, turns their business sense on its head and craps in their Cheerios.

In our tiny little eccentric corner of the world of hifi audio, that may be the case!  Having placed my order, I have high hopes that the Yggy will thoroughly outclass my current dac.  That said, unless Apple and Samsung start implementing AD5791BRUZ's in their smartphones (and making them the size and weight of cinderblocks), I don't think the SD manufacturers have a whole lot to stress about from a business standpoint.   

[Edit - which raises an interesting question - schiitphone anyone? 
wink_face.gif
]

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #4,318 of 6,500

In our tiny little eccentric corner of the world of hifi audio, that may be the case!  Having placed my order, I have high hopes that the Yggy will thoroughly outclass my current dac.  That said, unless Apple and Samsung start implementing AD5791BRUZ's in their smartphones (and making them the size and weight of cinderblocks), I don't think the SD manufacturers have a whole lot to stress about from a business standpoint.   

[Edit - which raises an interesting question - schiitphone anyone? 
wink_face.gif
]

Mystery 3. And expect something that nobody is expecting from us. I can’t say more.

See? Of course it's the Schiitphone.  Remember when Steve Jobs denied they were doing a phone for years and then?  Boom.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #4,319 of 6,500

See? Of course it's the Schiitphone.  Remember when Steve Jobs denied they were doing a phone for years and then?  Boom.

LOL! Anyway, only reason I'm reluctant to believe that (even though I predicted the same right when Jason posted that) is that he said he won't want to do transducers ever again.

But who said about HIM having to do it? Somebody else at Schiit might be working on it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back