Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 10, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #3,871 of 6,500

Well what are you doing here then? Why are you posting in a forum clearly biased on Hi-Res and DSD? Why do you have the equipment that you do?
DBT or it didn't happen!

Just answered to this ^ : I don't think HF is biased to  DSD or Hi-Res. At least posters I read the most carefully. 

For Red-book vs Hi-res and the interest for human ear of anything above 44,1khz , I let you do a search on HF and elsewhere.  Don't want to destroy this Great thread with overbeated debates. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #3,872 of 6,500
This thread is a bit biased toward the yggy, which doesn't support dsd, so I don't think there is any bias toward dsd at all - otherwise everyone would be saying it's already outdated technology because of the lack of dsd...

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #3,873 of 6,500
  Just read something interesting from Fried from Violectric who have just released their new dac, also without DSD support:

A lot of you probably already knew this but I didn't...

Seems as though the only reason DSD files might sound better is because there was more effort put into making the recording sound good and has nothing to do with the format.  Especially if they've all just been converted to DSD from PCM.

I've bee saying this (well, parts of this) for years. With many tracks, it's not the format that matters the most. It's how that track was mastered.

The most striking example of this is my DSD collection of Dark Side of the Moon. I have 2.0 DSD and 5.1 DSD. I also have the PCM 16/44.1 of it. When I play the 2.0 DSD and then the PCM of it through my rig, I can hear no difference. When I force the 5.1 down to 2.0 and play it through my rig, it sounds completely different than the other two. What's the difference? The way it was mastered.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3,874 of 6,500
  I've bee saying this (well, parts of this) for years. With many tracks, it's not the format that matters the most. It's how that track was mastered.

The most striking example of this is my DSD collection of Dark Side of the Moon. I have 2.0 DSD and 5.1 DSD. I also have the PCM 16/44.1 of it. When I play the 2.0 DSD and then the PCM of it through my rig, I can hear no difference. When I force the 5.1 down to 2.0 and play it through my rig, it sounds completely different than the other two. What's the difference? The way it was mastered.

Absolutely.

Same with 320 vs FLAC on a well mastered track.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #3,875 of 6,500
Not to be that guy again, but this debate can get the thread locked. We know currawong is reading so I HIGHLY suggest taking it up in the 24 bit vs 16 bit thread in the Sound Science forum.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #3,876 of 6,500
If purrin is right, Redbook is what Yggy was made for - why are you running all over the place when its due out on April 20
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #3,877 of 6,500
I heard the Yggdrasil on Wednesday. I should of brought my pwd mkii to a/b but didn't :/
To me I think it's a little better than the pwd mkii. In just about all areas.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,878 of 6,500
  If purrin is right, Redbook is what Yggy was made for - why are you running all over the place when its due out on April 20
evil_smiley.gif

hahaha .... the picture i have in my head of his avatar freaking out is hilarious. 

April 20 - 10 days left. I cant wait for impressions.  

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #3,879 of 6,500
evil_smiley.gif

Has this info been confirmed??

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,881 of 6,500
  Has this info been confirmed??

Cmon Mike - you know the only place this is considered 'info' is in my brain - why torture yourself ? Still, I'm a believer in the power of positive thinking - as several wits have remarked, the beauty of deadlines is the sound they make as they go rushing by. If you value your sanity, take any prediction that doesnt come directly from Mike or Jason with a massive grain of salt, and even they arent infallible. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #3,883 of 6,500
  This April 20 date was literally pulled out of thin air. Yggy driving people crazy around here.. confabulation of release dates

Yeah,I should have known better-

On a side note--I got a Parasound ZDAC yesterday,to tied me over,and was really surprised
With my 009's & the KGST..it really gave me a very nice sound quality,,neutral to slightly bright..good detail..,nice bass
Anyone looking for a small desktop dac,you might want to look at the ZDAC..??

Still need a few more weeks of break in..

Mike

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,885 of 6,500
I see what you did there  - naughty man, you are. Poor old Mike is perched on the edge of his seat, refreshing the Schiit website every 30 seconds waiting for this thing  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back