Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 31, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #3,481 of 6,500

Never look at 1 source of information for your decisions. Try to have an opinion yourself, too... Just some advice.

Especially if you find your tastes diverge with said person. Purrin is the first one to say this. I found myself so often with different conclusions than his that I have learned to take his impressions with a pinch of salt, at least relativise it.

That does not take away from the huge amount of effort Purrin has put in, certainly this thread has helped establish credibility but YMMV applies nonetheless... Now, if someone is happy just taking someone else's word for granted, forego any critical judgement, and actually be happy with the result, all the better as you've said yourself a lot of work to find out what you like :wink:.

Having being in these waters for over a decade though, my personal take is that this is the best recipe for disappointment, you'll simply find yourself in a constant state of questioning / upgraditis whenever the next best thing since slice bread comes around... But that's what the hobby is about for many so, maybe all is fine after all lol :).

arnaud

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #3,482 of 6,500

Especially if you find your tastes diverge with said person. Purrin is the first one to say this. I found myself so often with different conclusions than his that I have learned to take his impressions with a pinch of salt, at least relativise it.

That does not take away from the huge amount of effort Purrin has put in, certainly this thread has helped establish credibility but YMMV applies nonetheless... Now, if someone is happy just taking someone else's word for granted, forego any critical judgement, and actually be happy with the result, all the better as you've said yourself a lot of work to find out what you like :wink:.

Having being in these waters for over a decade though, my personal take is that this is the best recipe for disappointment, you'll simply find yourself in a constant state of questioning / upgraditis whenever the next best thing since slice bread comes around... But that's what the hobby is about for many so, maybe all is fine after all lol :).

arnaud

Very True,Arnuad.

Might as well throw Currawong in the same boat, as Purrin
These are just a few guys,who,if I see a thread,or,post,I'll definitely read it.
Not 100% sure,I take ALL, there info as,gospel.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #3,483 of 6,500

arnaud

I think Upgraditis happens to people with a lot of money and nowhere to spend it or people who are just bored.

I've got myself the Auralic Vega and I must say, it's not going anywhere, ever. I've got my LCD-3 and I think I might not sell it, though I'm not sure because there's so much new in the headphone world, and Audeze did surprise me in terms of audio quality and even aesthetics, but not about build quality.

Meh, I'm ranting much. Seriously when I'm doing a lot of research before I'm buying, and even when I already know what I want but do research before buying I end up choosing the right thing, not the other way around I go with my gut feeling.

P.S - I just think that Purrin is not the ultimate authority because he clearly put the Vega not where it belongs and now all that hype with Schiit Yggdrasil "OMG OMG OMG" makes it look like he's either biased or getting paid :wink:

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,484 of 6,500

I think Upgraditis happens to people with a lot of money and nowhere to spend it or people who are just bored.

I've got myself the Auralic Vega and I must say, it's not going anywhere, ever. I've got my LCD-3 and I think I might not sell it, though I'm not sure because there's so much new in the headphone world, and Audeze did surprise me in terms of audio quality and even aesthetics, but not about build quality.

Meh, I'm ranting much. Seriously when I'm doing a lot of research before I'm buying, and even when I already know what I want but do research before buying I end up choosing the right thing, not the other way around I go with my gut feeling.

P.S - I just think that Purrin is not the ultimate authority because he clearly put the Vega not where it belongs and now all that hype with Schiit Yggdrasil "OMG OMG OMG" makes it look like he's either biased or getting paid :wink:

Dude, that isn't very cool to say. I don't think Purrin has done anything to deserve that type of criticism. Sure he loves the Yggy, so what? Maybe for his ear the Vega just doesn't do it for him. Again, so what, none of those things mean he is paid or biased deliberately as you imply. We are all biased, it is impossible to avoid.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #3,485 of 6,500

Or he has different taste and priorities than you. This has been said multiple times already.

I don't care for the Vega either. I'm neither biased, nor paid for making such a statement; it's just the way it is.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #3,486 of 6,500
Well I'm not here to offend anyone just stating my opinion that I don't consider purrin an authority on setups.

Experience is a good thing if you have the option to listen to different equipment but if you like something better than another wouldn't mean that I would like the same or someone else.

I just don't understand the cult like following here

Again sorry if I offended anyone.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #3,487 of 6,500
Well I'm not here to offend anyone just stating my opinion that I don't consider purrin an authority on setups.

Experience is a good thing if you have the option to listen to different equipment but if you like something better than another wouldn't mean that I would like the same or someone else.

Dude, accusing someone of being on the take is fracked up. That's not "stating your opinion"; that's slander.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3,488 of 6,500

Reading his opinions is not being a cult. There are many reviewers here. Over the years, he has built a solid reputation with regards to his recommendations. So we read his opinions. None of us just take it as is without forming our own opinions.

You are outright insulting him, saying he takes bribes and all that. That's slander and totally not cool.

If you like the Vega, that's great. Some of us don't have that kind of money, and if something, say the Schiit Yggy can offer equal or better performance, for less money, then we'd want to hear about it.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #3,489 of 6,500
Purrin has announced on the blog that can't be named here he will soon be a MOT. I guess That's why he said earlier today on this forum that he's retiring as the messiah.

So you can stop kicking him around and start missing him. I know I'll miss his unadulterated opinions.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,490 of 6,500

Those are strong accusations. I think Purrin has been fair with his comments thus far. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #3,491 of 6,500

Sir you have crossed the line with your rant against Purin. Either show the people, on head-fi, that Purin is taking bribes or take back what you have said. I am new to head-fi, and I listen to a lot of chaps, who I feel are experienced, in the topic I am researching and Purin, is one person, who gives rock solid advice on all thing Dac. However I am not a fan boy, but your are smearing the mans honour, and that is very uncool.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #3,492 of 6,500

It's difficult to assess the TT as a DAC because I only heard it as a combined DAC/amp. Went through a few familiar tracks with HD800 and Bill-p modded HE560s. I would say the TT is a massive improvement over the Hugo. The Hugo couldn't drive a lot of headphones well - just soft and flaccid. The TT provided good warmth. Good power. A little bit overly warm because stock HD800s should sound dry on a neutral system. I felt the warmth was on the verge of being a little bit too syrupy. Microdetail and microdynamics were on the verge on being almost, almost good enough; but fell just short. My ear tends to overly strain to hear this fine resolution that I know exists in certain recordings - but I get this feeling of being unfulfilled when microdetail and microdynamics aren't there. Also, I noted after three songs, my ears started to get fatigued. I started to notice glare. Longer session induced digititus. To put things in proper context, I am sensitive to these digititus effects than others.

I can definitely see a lot of people liking the TT. It's got a very nice warm smoothed over sound, slightly euphonic, with decent technicalities, and few things wrong upon first listen. You probably already know that I am not in the school of warm-tonal-balance DACs, unless they are less than $1000. The fatigue is troubling at the TT's price point.

No DACs surprised me. I had pretty much heard them all, and if I hadn't, it wasn't anything to write about. If anything, the meet confirmed prior experiences and impressions.

Thanks for taking the time and the honest reply. I am really looking forward to hearing the TT now and I hope the DAC sections pairs well with my WA5. 
I will have a nice set of open baffle speakers for the review also ¬ 

http://eistaudio.ie/base/?page_id=44 

Did you ever get around to building that transport? Sorry if this is off  topic 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back