Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 31, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3,451 of 6,500
  I just leave my DAC on all the time cause it doesn't have an on or off switch. Better to keep it plugged in and always warmed up.

Yup.  When I built mine I could have included a switch but chose not to.  It's pretty much on all the time.  If it ever needs to be off for any reason, I disconnect the power cord from the IEC receptacle in the back.

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #3,452 of 6,500
Hey!!! I've finally found an article that explain AND shows with measurement the difference between warm-up time for dacs.

http://www.audioquest.com/resource_tools/downloads/whitepapers/Phase-Noise-Jitter-Report-0317-14.pdf

As you can see, dragonfly, which is a cheap usb dac, has the best and smoothest response after 24 hours of warm-up.

Now, imagine warming-up 7 boards in an 30 pounds yggy. I think 48 hours of warm-up is reasonable considering the complexity of this dac.
popcorn.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #3,453 of 6,500
Before I forget, the Cavalli portable does seem to have an official name now - the Liquid Silicon. No idea when Alex will get the battery sorted, but given that this amp seems to have incubating for at least 2 years I guess the Cavalli faithful can wait a little longer. Scroll down in this thread - the little guy looks quite small sandwiched between the Liquid Carbon and a Hugo but it will be interesting to see how Cavalli gear that will reportedly come in under 700 USD will be received by that segment of the Head-Fi community, particularly with ALO's Continental 2 at a jaw-dropping $1500, albeit with it's own DAC and toobs. Carting those massive DAC+amp stacks that were de rigeur when the CLAS was released seems to have become decidedly uncool in 2015.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/758649/canjam-socal-2015-impressions-thread/420#post_11461464

Away from portable amps and back to desktop DACs - apologies for the slight detour. 

You really should just stop bringing this up.

Alex Cavalli writes...

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,455 of 6,500
  Hey!!! I've finally found an article that explain AND shows with measurement the difference between warm-up time for dacs.

http://www.audioquest.com/resource_tools/downloads/whitepapers/Phase-Noise-Jitter-Report-0317-14.pdf

As you can see, dragonfly, which is a cheap usb dac, has the best and smoothest response after 24 hours of warm-up.

Now, imagine warming-up 7 boards in an 30 pounds yggy. I think 48 hours of warm-up is reasonable considering the complexity of this dac.
popcorn.gif

Interesting.  All (?) the fun settling seems to be in the sub 100 Hz band.  Also odd non-monotonicities in settling.  Not sure the measurements are good...what causes this?

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #3,456 of 6,500
Purrin, or hell, even Mike Moffat, have you not considered explaining why you think the Ygg/Theta, etc improve with warm up time. I mean, the discussion on jitter is interesting,
and at times this is something subtle and in many cases a lot of people won't be able to pick up on it. i.e. having had more experience/exposure and there in better trained ears with being able to pick up on subtleties.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #3,457 of 6,500

I assume that the Yggy has very little burn in time then.  Some equipment definitely has to burn in over time.

This is a crucial observation. At this point, no one, including Schiit has had any one particular Yggy running for months on end. As I've stated, warm-up time seems to decrease as the product gets older, e.g. my ~20 year old Theta Gen V is pretty much ready to go after flipping the switch.

Lacking though I am in English comprehension and being of limited hearing ability and slight of intellect too (
eek.gif
!), I did dare to think purrin's listening skills - which I too respect BTW - might be just a little too refined and discriminating. His comments might put off potential purchasers who would actually enjoy yggy. IOW, perhaps purrin instantly hears subtleties I personally have yet to discover. Or might never. Not improbable: what I hear (can decode) now is considerably more than 2 or 3 years ago.

For new readers to this thread - yes. I am extremely discriminating. This is a typical conversation between some audiophile friends and I: "**** you, I don't hear this plankton (microdetail and resolution) ****. I'm not a level 70 audiophile." and I reply back: "You are still a level 55 audiophile, so I know you hear this plankton ****. You just don't want to go down that road because it's going to cost you."

I thought I had mentioned this in the first post or somewhere close to it, DACs tends to more close to each other than amps or headphones. It's funny because at the meet, I had a good conversation with Amos about how sensitive I am to small differences. Small differences that most people wouldn't care about. Also, everything is relative. If there is something better, second, third, and fourth, place sounds like ass. For example: PCM63 sounds great. The PCM1704 sounds like ass. (Actually, my thoughts about the PCM1704 have always been mixed.)

Someone commented a while back that this wasnt a thread about the Yggy, rather a thread for general discussion around DACs - I'm afraid that isnt the way I read the OP in late March 2015. Sigma-delta bad, R2R good - if you're prepared to make a relatively small commitment to getting the best out of it.

This thread became a journey for me. Rankings have changed a lot since I started it. I started with S-D / D-S stuff, learned to appreciate what R2R as of 2013 and 2014 brought to the table, went back in time to R2R as of 1990 (when there were better quality R2R chips, and latched on to Mike Moffat's secret project. People are going to gravitate to other people who have similar tastes. People may think I am a Schiit Yggy shill, but the fact is, this thread was started way way before I even knew about the existence of the Yggy. You guys have to know that the AGD M7 with OR5 i2s, and the PWD1->2 DACs were tops for a while.

Ok, I've been looking at the posts in this thread, and I'd thought I'd chime in with my thoughts on the Ygg/Rag combo at CanJam. Yes, I was lucky enough to plug in the Ether and the HE-1000 into the combo (as well as an HD800 and HE-560 that were at the Schiit table, and the HE-400i that I brought).

If I calibrate certain aspects of my preferences to yours, I actually don't disagree on your observations. I can definitely see a lot of people observing the Rag/Yggy combo as too bright. Tonal balance is a priority, but not the highest priority for me in terms of DACs. Resolution and lack of digital artifacts are the top priorities. I intentionally brought certain CDs which I felt were sufficiently resolving for the Yggy. Some of the CDs I brought were custom remastered to sound right on a neutral (more or less) speaker system. (The RHCP CD was not one of them, my neighbor put that CD in there.) Did you get a chance to hear my setup, the custom EC 2A3 amp + Yggy on Sunday morning or afternoon?

But every time I read about the Schiit Bifrost Uber vs Gungnir, I'm more and more uncertain about which one to choose :frowning2:

The Bifrost Uber USB fits my budget. Gungnir would be more a long-long term investment. Are the additional 330 $ (well, in Canada it's more like 400 $!) of the Gungnir worth it ? It's almost twice the price ...

LOL, I have a problem between choosing Bifrost Uber or Gungnir myself. If you think you might go forward in this hobby, I'd get the Gungnir since they are so close in price. Mike Moffat mentioned at CanJam during his presentation something along the lines of when you buy a DAC from Schiit, you buy a relationship, and when it comes time for an upgrade, if you buy used, you are going to ******* pay more for an upgrade. Given the history of Theta providing upgrades, and Schiit providing upgrades in the past, I wonder if something might be up. I'm just thinking that if something happens, the Gungnir will be a much better platform for uber awesome upgrades.

Purrin, or hell, even Mike Moffat, have you not considered explaining why you think the Ygg/Theta, etc improve with warm up time. I mean, the discussion on jitter is interesting,

It would all be conjecture. I'm thinking it's the 5791 chips. This is based on what I was told about changes to the output section of the .96 and .99 versions. The chips have self-correcting mechanisms to maintain its accuracy. The fact that the spec-sheet has INL plots for different temperatures also makes you wonder. Temperature of the chip may asymptotically stabilize, but a in a small up-down squiggly way toward it.

P.S.

Most of my listening is through speakers. So this presents an entirely different set of variables.

P.S.S.

Just to **** with you guys more, absolute polarity does matter. This is why there is a polarity switch on the Yggy and Gen V. I was not a believer before.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #3,458 of 6,500

This is a crucial observation. At this point, no one, including Schiit has had any one particular Yggy running for months on end. As I've stated, warm-up time seems to decrease as the product gets older, e.g. my ~20 year old Theta Gen V is pretty much ready to go after flipping the switch.

To be completely fair, the analog stage of the Theta Gen V is always on. The front is only for the digital stage. Hence it's always on, as plenty of other units from different manufacturers. What people think is an on/off switch is actually a mute switch in a lot of cases.

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #3,459 of 6,500
Mike Moffat mentioned at CanJam during his presentation something along the lines of when you buy a DAC from Schiit, you buy a relationship, and when it comes time for an upgrade, if you buy used, you are going to ******* pay more for an upgrade.

Just to be clear, Schiit now has (or envisions) alternate pricing for upgrading the DACs based on whether you bought it new or used?

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #3,460 of 6,500
  Just to be clear, Schiit now has (or envisions) alternate pricing for upgrading the DACs based on whether you bought it new or used?

unsure if Jason has unplugged and is off the interwebs on vacation just yet.....

not having owned a Schiit DAC in the days BEFORE the USB Gen2 card, nor before Uber analog cards were released-
unsure if they "asked folks" for the serial number of their DAC before selling/sending out the upgraded parts?

right now on their web site, the "self install" of USB Gen 2 card and analog Uber cards are the same price as adding the components to new DAC purchases...
hm.

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,461 of 6,500

Hopefully this is the case. By July or August we should know for sure. You hardly got a chance to hear the Hugo TT? I know its expensive and that turns a lot of people off but I was wondering if you heard it and considered it an improvement over portable Hugo? 

Did you get to hear any other DAC's - maybe something else at the show surprised you? 

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #3,462 of 6,500
unsure if Jason has unplugged and is off the interwebs on vacation just yet.....

not having owned a Schiit DAC in the days BEFORE the USB Gen2 card, nor before Uber analog cards were released-
unsure if they "asked folks" for the serial number of their DAC before selling/sending out the upgraded parts?

right now on their web site, the "self install" of USB Gen 2 card and analog Uber cards are the same price as adding the components to new DAC purchases...
hm.
I don't know where you're seeing this. I just looked in the schiit site and adding the usb card to a new order costs $100 while getting a new card for self install costs $150.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,463 of 6,500

I have no idea. But it would make sense from a business point of view to support the customers who stuck with them. For all we know, they could just as well refuse upgrades for second-hand Bifrosts or Gungnirs. This is all academic anyways, until they actually develop any upgrades.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #3,464 of 6,500
Hello people, 

I hope my question is posted in the correct topic. 

I have been doing some silent reading in this forum and this topic of vintage DACs with ladder chips are interesting me. Is anyone familiar with the Parasound 1100HD? I think I have a chance to buy one but the problem is it has been modified, I'm not sure about the technical details but its analogue stage has been replaced with discrete parts. 

The DAC is also almost 20 years old so are there going to be problem with endurance? 

If it helps, IIRC this is the original sales ad: http://www.head-fi.org/t/548272/fs-modded-parasound-dac-1100-hd

As always I thank you people for your kind advice. 

Regards,
Jeremiah

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #3,465 of 6,500
  Hopefully this is the case. By July or August we should know for sure. You hardly got a chance to hear the Hugo TT? I know its expensive and that turns a lot of people off but I was wondering if you heard it and considered it an improvement over portable Hugo? 

Did you get to hear any other DAC's - maybe something else at the show surprised you? 

It's difficult to assess the TT as a DAC because I only heard it as a combined DAC/amp. Went through a few familiar tracks with HD800 and Bill-p modded HE560s. I would say the TT is a massive improvement over the Hugo. The Hugo couldn't drive a lot of headphones well - just soft and flaccid. The TT provided good warmth. Good power. A little bit overly warm because stock HD800s should sound dry on a neutral system. I felt the warmth was on the verge of being a little bit too syrupy. Microdetail and microdynamics were on the verge on being almost, almost good enough; but fell just short. My ear tends to overly strain to hear this fine resolution that I know exists in certain recordings - but I get this feeling of being unfulfilled when microdetail and microdynamics aren't there. Also, I noted after three songs, my ears started to get fatigued. I started to notice glare. Longer session induced digititus. To put things in proper context, I am sensitive to these digititus effects than others.

I can definitely see a lot of people liking the TT. It's got a very nice warm smoothed over sound, slightly euphonic, with decent technicalities, and few things wrong upon first listen. You probably already know that I am not in the school of warm-tonal-balance DACs, unless they are less than $1000. The fatigue is troubling at the TT's price point.

No DACs surprised me. I had pretty much heard them all, and if I hadn't, it wasn't anything to write about. If anything, the meet confirmed prior experiences and impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back