Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 27, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,286 of 6,500
That's OK. It makes things like swapping certain cables etc feasible.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,287 of 6,500
I'm trying to wrap my head around the 4-7 day claim of thermal stability in the Yggy.  I understand that electronics usually sound best when fully warmed and are thermally stable.  But, I fail to understand what is so unique about the Yggy that it requires 4-7 days to stabilize.  Most electronics gain thermal stability in a few hours.  

If the Yggy is actually decoding digital files and outputting analog music, that means all the components are being used and will generate heat.  I imagine if it's being used in this fashion it will achieve stability and reach its maximum temperature in a few hours.

If the Yggy is sitting idle and not decoding files and outputting analog music, not all the components are being used, so it's not generating maximum heat.  It may take a long time for the residual heat to reach all components.  But, I still think 4-7 days is too long to be accurate.  Maybe it takes a day in this situation.

So, if assuming the former scenario, if the Yggy takes 4-7 days to reach thermal stability, something isn't quite right with it and it's not a stable device to begin with.  I can't think of any possible reason for it to take so long to reach temperature and stability.  Also, wouldn't the designers be aware of this and attempt to fix it?  Wouldn't owners be frustrated by this?  Who wants to wait a week to use a top shelf device?

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #3,288 of 6,500

Was tempted to travel with a power inverter attached to a spare car battery. No - not gonna do that.

If you didn't, I hope Jason and Baldr did!

feed your ears well this weekend!

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #3,289 of 6,500
  I'm trying to wrap my head around the 4-7 day claim of thermal stability in the Yggy.  I understand that electronics usually sound best when fully warmed and are thermally stable.  But, I fail to understand what is so unique about the Yggy that it requires 4-7 days to stabilize.  Most electronics gain thermal stability in a few hours.  

If the Yggy is actually decoding digital files and outputting analog music, that means all the components are being used and will generate heat.  I imagine if it's being used in this fashion it will achieve stability and reach its maximum temperature in a few hours.

If the Yggy is sitting idle and not decoding files and outputting analog music, not all the components are being used, so it's not generating maximum heat.  It may take a long time for the residual heat to reach all components.  But, I still think 4-7 days is too long to be accurate.  Maybe it takes a day in this situation.

So, if assuming the former scenario, if the Yggy takes 4-7 days to reach thermal stability, something isn't quite right with it and it's not a stable device to begin with.  I can't think of any possible reason for it to take so long to reach temperature and stability.  Also, wouldn't the designers be aware of this and attempt to fix it?  Wouldn't owners be frustrated by this?  Who wants to wait a week to use a top shelf device?

Agree with many of the points you make, but the longer I spend in this hobby the more I'm convinced that some sections do indeed 'want to wait a week' to hear the magic. The people who put this together are undeniably zealots, but it highlights the extent to which some will go .... 

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Digital.html#2012

In short, dont even move your digital source by a millimetre without being prepared to spend many hours waiting for the magic to reappear. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #3,290 of 6,500
Usually my gears sound better after 30mn, which is approximately the time it takes for alcohol to make effect...

Seriously though, (some) studies have shown that clocks would actually take few hours to settle (with jitter graph showing different profiles over time). I don't know about days, though.

I would say my mood and - maybe - the house's power quality made a much greater difference than any "settling" time, past the ~30/1h mark (depending on gear. The Rag takes actually a bit more time than my other amps). I've had great sessions after the 30mn mark point and ****ty ones after few hours of warm-up, and vice versa.

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #3,291 of 6,500
Mar 27, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3,292 of 6,500
Also, wouldn't the designers be aware of this and attempt to fix it?

I share this confusion. What is there to change after thermal steady-state has been achieved, which I also believe happens in a matter of hours. [Is there some reason it doesn't?]

If it does take 4-7days, we'll probably see someone working on a warm-up acceleration protocol. [Put in oven at 70C for 20minutes and then install into system / Cover right half of chassis with a blanket for 4 hours / Apply 1000W hair drier airflow in the specified pattern for 10 minutes.]

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #3,294 of 6,500
Thanks for the heads up, once I get the Yggdrasil, I shall rarely, turn it off. I was hoping this issue would had been fixed, before finale production.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,295 of 6,500
Just an FYI, the manual for my Theta Gen V-VA states that it takes 4 days on for the analog output section to stabilize.

Also, when the Theta is plugged in, the analog section is always on, regardless of the ON/OFF switch position. Perhaps the yggy will work the same way?

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #3,296 of 6,500
  Just an FYI, the manual for my Theta Gen V-VA states that it takes 4 days on for the analog output section to stabilize.

Also, when the Theta is plugged in, the analog section is always on, regardless of the ON/OFF switch position. Perhaps the yggy will work the same way?

Aren't the guys who were involved in The Theta Gen V-VA,also involved in the Yiggy
I think Purrin mentioned that in a pm ,he sent me..

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #3,299 of 6,500
I agree that if it were only a thermal issue, the SQ wouldn't change once the entire assembly reached equilization.

And I have been tracking SQ changes as components 'age' and also after changes have been made.

I many cases I'm hearing major improvements after hundreds of hours of playing time.

And most of these changes aren't simple improvements in the usual types of distortion etc.

These changes are closer to what MM referred to as the equipment dissapears (gets out of it's own way) and our connection to the music becomes much more 'direct'.
I have called this being IN the music, and it seems to be associated with a greatly reduced listener fatigue factor.

What the causitive factors of all of this is, I'm not certain, but when the veils lift and the emotional quotient is raised, the music becomes Imperative.

JJ

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #3,300 of 6,500
  I agree that if it were only a thermal issue, the SQ wouldn't change once the entire assembly reached equilization.

And I have been tracking SQ changes as components 'age' and also after changes have been made.

I many cases I'm hearing major improvements after hundreds of hours of playing time.

And most of these changes aren't simple improvements in the usual types of distortion etc.

These changes are closer to what MM referred to as the equipment dissapears (gets out of it's own way) and our connection to the music becomes much more 'direct'.
I have called this being IN the music, and it seems to be associated with a greatly reduced listener fatigue factor.

What the causitive factors of all of this is, I'm not certain, but when the veils lift and the emotional quotient is raised, the music becomes Imperative.

JJ

About 3 weeks ago,I got delivery of a new KGST amp.
One of the first things that the builder {Geoffrey} ,told me,was to give it 200 hours minimum break-in,.,300 would be better.

Recently,I seem to be  hearing a difference-I even asked my wife to give it a listen,she confirmed it..smoother,more defined,,were words she used...a really outstanding amp, IMHO.,,maybe I will finally achieved -end game.

I'm hoping the Yiggy will be the icing on the cake,no matter ,how long I have to warm it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back