Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 26, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3,271 of 6,500

It's all relative, but I'm guessing you dont want to listen to Yggy if you have your heart set on Gungnir.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/5175#post_11446741

His words, not mine - dont shoot the messenger - but its interesting that the previous 'best I ever heard' gear suddenly sounds like crap when we get to hear a new toy  :wink:

so I went back to the Gungnir and by comparison it sounded dry, brittle and 'digital'. Three words I never would have expected to use about the Gungnir.

I already have the Gungnir! I would love to make the move to the Yggy, if it was the right move. I am considering holding off until around July at the latest to see what may develop. Until then, I will have to read what others are experiencing with the Yggy. Cheers.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3,272 of 6,500

It's all relative, but I'm guessing you dont want to listen to Yggy if you have your heart set on Gungnir.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/5175#post_11446741

His words, not mine - dont shoot the messenger - but its interesting that the previous 'best I ever heard' gear suddenly sounds like crap when we get to hear a new toy  :wink:

so I went back to the Gungnir and by comparison it sounded dry, brittle and 'digital'. Three words I never would have expected to use about the Gungnir.

The higher end you go, the subjective improvement get's bigger even if absolute improvement is smaller. And you can never go back. It's better to not hear if you don't want to go there. Ignorance is bliss, then you die.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #3,273 of 6,500

I already have the Gungnir! I would love to make the move to the Yggy, if it was the right move. I am considering holding off until around July at the latest to see what may develop. Until then, I will have to read what others are experiencing with the Yggy. Cheers.

I dont think you'll have any problems 'waiting till July' - its only the people who have their hearts set on getting Yggy in April who may be in for disappointment given the parts shortage. The best laid plans of mice and men  :wink:

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #3,274 of 6,500
@wahsmoh, you have a DT880, right? If you ever feel the treble is too much for you, just bring it to me, and I'll tame it for you. 
biggrin.gif

I have a tamed DT770, and it sounds awesome!!

Anyway, would love to take you on that offer. My Geek Out 450 is a bit limited, and I know my amp (TTVJ Portable Tube) is equally limited. I may try to push a modded headphone or two after CanJam in order to get a more proper amp at the very least, since the amp is the weak link in my chain currently. Highly aiming for the Cavalli portable.

Y' know, I still sometimes miss the bass of my TransDAC. R2R bass and tonal density is something ya simply can't forget once you've gotten used to it. New delta-sigma stuffs sound blurred in comparison. Though delta-sigma is more detailed above bass.

@auvgeek, haha, yeah. I think the Abyss is still a bit cleaner and faster than my LCD-2.2 at bass. Just a smidgen so, but enough for it to inch ahead. Abyss is also just a tad more aggressive than LCD-2.2, too. But all things considered, LCD-2.2 does have the resolution, I think, and I was very surprised to try my LCD-2.2 the other day with TransDAC -> Ragnarok. It was a great combo! But I felt like there was more to be extracted from the music (from having heard Yggdrasil prior). Would love to try LCD-2.2 on the new 0.99 Yggdrasil now and see what has changed.

At this point in the game, I've started to think almost nothing else is worth the expense... except for Yggdrasil.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,275 of 6,500
  @wahsmoh, you have a DT880, right? If you ever feel the treble is too much for you, just bring it to me, and I'll tame it for you. 
biggrin.gif

I have a tamed DT770, and it sounds awesome!!

Anyway, would love to take you on that offer. My Geek Out 450 is a bit limited, and I know my amp (TTVJ Portable Tube) is equally limited. I may try to push a modded headphone or two after CanJam in order to get a more proper amp at the very least, since the amp is the weak link in my chain currently. Highly aiming for the Cavalli portable.

Y' know, I still sometimes miss the bass of my TransDAC. R2R bass and tonal density is something ya simply can't forget once you've gotten used to it. New delta-sigma stuffs sound blurred in comparison. Though delta-sigma is more detailed above bass.

@auvgeek, haha, yeah. I think the Abyss is still a bit cleaner and faster than my LCD-2.2 at bass. Just a smidgen so, but enough for it to inch ahead. Abyss is also just a tad more aggressive than LCD-2.2, too. But all things considered, LCD-2.2 does have the resolution, I think, and I was very surprised to try my LCD-2.2 the other day with TransDAC -> Ragnarok. It was a great combo! But I felt like there was more to be extracted from the music (from having heard Yggdrasil prior). Would love to try LCD-2.2 on the new 0.99 Yggdrasil now and see what has changed.

At this point in the game, I've started to think almost nothing else is worth the expense... except for Yggdrasil.

In that case maybe I will bring my DT880 too and you can have a listen. I would love to hear a tamed DT880 it has always been a little too sparkly and not neutral enough.

That R2R bass and texture.. it really lacks the blurred edges and digital grit of the S-D DAC sound. Detail in the highs isn't thrown in your face like a lot of S-D Dacs and may even sound "rolled off" but I can confirm it doesn't because I have tested tracks back to back and cymbal crashes sound real. If the track isn't mastered in a way to show the treble, the Progeny isn't going to emphasize at all. Mid-range separation and imaging is some of the best that I have ever heard as well as the "3D soundstage" I want you to hear

Looking forward to hearing your LCD-2.2 Bill and MDR-Z7 with the Progeny. It really is a soundstage enhancer, I used to think the Alpha Dogs lacked back-L/R-front separation but it doesn't.. it was the Bifrost Uber all along or the filter in the Progeny just enhances the headphones and makes instruments sound clear and defined, instruments that I didn't think sounded as separated with the Uberfrost

but really last edit, hearing this DAC made me question life and just " how the Alpha Prime would scale with this DAC if people felt the original Alpha Dog wasn't up to task or as refined? " that right there is what I want to find out at CanJam as well as the other flagship cans like Bill's LCD-2.2 and MDR-Z7

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #3,276 of 6,500
I'll be at CanJam. I should have an Yggy, but may still bring the Gen V since Yggy really does need time to sound good. Maybe Gen V for Saturday while Yggy warms up for Sunday.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #3,277 of 6,500
  I'll be at CanJam. I should have an Yggy, but may still bring the Gen V since Yggy really does need time to sound good. Maybe Gen V for Saturday while Yggy warms up for Sunday.

Would love to hear the Gen V Purrin
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3,278 of 6,500
Hi Purrin,

Yes,I would love to hear the comparison of the Gen V vs, the Yiggy , as well ..,also,would love to get some more info,on proper warm up times,on the Yiggy
24-48 hours??? ..1 week?,tell me it ain't so???

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3,279 of 6,500
OK. Just another 40 lbs. I guess we can put up a small Moffat DAC history museum at Canjam.

BTW I am bringing a spinner - Theta Basic III. Not dealing with computer audio at this meet, so burn CDs of your reference / favorite tracks. I may be reverting to spinners because my wife can't handle audio playback software on either PCs or macs. CDs make everything easier for older people like us.

On Yggy warmup:

• When cold, there's a steely / kettle drum timbre in the treble. It's also a bit lean and closed-in. The first two-four hours sucks. It sounds resolving and analytical.
  • After four to eight hours, it's a little bit better. Yggy is now listenable. The treble timbre gets more normal. The stage open ups a bit. A very resolving DAC with excellent technicalities all around.
  • After 24-48 hours, this is when the magic starts to happen. When you start to get fooled into thinking you are hearing the real thing at times.
  • After four-seven days, the Yggy stabilizes - where the last vestiges of any kind of artificiality disappear.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #3,283 of 6,500
  Start early.

That's why Purrin has been there, since Thursday !!!!

Sorry Purrin-couldn't resist,now that I think about it....not the worst places to be ,then Southern Cali

Enjoy

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3,284 of 6,500
If it was on for 2 weeks 24/7 and let's say turned off for 5-10mins. Does it start over from square 1?

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3,285 of 6,500
If off for a few minutes, no problem. Off for an hour - start over.

Was tempted to travel with a power inverter attached to a spare car battery. No - not gonna do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back