Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Jul 29, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #61 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby
Hi Comfycan,

thanks for the mini review. Would you rate the IV ahead of the headroom micro amp then?

Why did you get the micro instead of the mini?

I need something for my ER-4 and DT880's. Only using the line out on my AV710 at the moment

Thanks,

Steve.

Steve, I'm a big fan of Headroom and loathe to even consider rating this tiny little amp above my beloved MicroAmp w/ Desktop Module. Seriously, this thing looks like something you'd get in a box of Cheerios. However, I can't rule that out as an ultimate conclusion based on initial impressions. I'll need to play around with different phones and configurations further before I can offer an opinion on that. The MicroAmp has features like adjustable gain, crossfeed, and durability that the Super Micro doesn't.

I picked the SuperMicro rather than the SuperMini because it's so light, tiny, and simple--a good Nano match. Of course, the SuperMini isn't exactly a brick either.

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #62 of 3,962
Wow, that sounds like you must really rate the IV so far, I know it's still new though.

I would like the supermini IV for it's xfeed etc.

I have been looking for an amp for a while and this looks like the one. Damn 1 month wait!

Then I am thinking of a zhaolu dac of micro dac.

Actually I just ordered the SM IV from Xin, I couldn't stop myself!

I mainly blame you, comfycan!

etysmile.gif
580smile.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #64 of 3,962
Has anyone considered replacing Xin's supermicro case with something else? It is too tiny for even the smallest hammond case, so what else would be good for the world's smallest headphone amp?

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #65 of 3,962
Just a few quick thoughts. I would consider myself an audiophile in training, so please excuse some unconvention analogies. Also this is my first amp so I cant realy compare it to others. It was like a veil was lifted from all my headphones, a new level of clarity and crispness across the board. Both the k81dj and the sr80 sound better, but the hd555 really came to life. Maybe the laid back nature of the Senn and the aggresive nature of the ad8397 are a perfect match. I have not even begun to mess with the internal switches, but will soon. The main thing I notice across the board is the ability to pick out details at lower volume levels. The bass also seems punchier and tight.

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #66 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slappy
Just a few quick thoughts. I would consider myself an audiophile in training, so please excuse some unconvention analogies. Also this is my first amp so I cant realy compare it to others. It was like a veil was lifted from all my headphones, a new level of clarity and crispness across the board. Both the k81dj and the sr80 sound better, but the hd555 really came to life. Maybe the laid back nature of the Senn and the aggresive nature of the ad8397 are a perfect match. I have not even begun to mess with the internal switches, but will soon. The main thing I notice across the board is the ability to pick out details at lower volume levels. The bass also seems punchier and tight.

hey slappy...how is the bass with the k81dj? i'll probably be using the supermini with the k81dj as well, but i'm hoping for a bit of reduced bass or less boomy bass...tighter and punchier would be more toward what i'm hoping...

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #67 of 3,962
Has anybody who ordered the amp after July 1st got the shipping notice?

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #71 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
Has anyone considered replacing Xin's supermicro case with something else? It is too tiny for even the smallest hammond case, so what else would be good for the world's smallest headphone amp?

what about the altoids gum tin? they're pretty small, but maybe still too big.

Jul 31, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #73 of 3,962
supermini ordered July 1, but I may have to hit the road soon, I hope UPS doesn't send it back.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #74 of 3,962
I said good bye for my PA2V2 few days back and now going to give away Xenos 3HA too. I am getting hold of Indian classical music set touched by a modern DJ. I miss my Supermacro. More than anything my PA2V2...... I am sorry pal To give you up like that!!!!
redface.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #75 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1
I hope so! I'd be very interested in how the K 701's sound with it.
cool.gif

Vorlon,
I tried the K-701's with the transportable rig listed in my sig. below. I expected something more akin to my experience with the GS-1000's (i.e., little or no difference between SuperMicro III and SuperMicro IV). I am pleased to report that I could not have been more wrong!

The K-701's seem to BLOOM with the SuperMicro IV. The perception of an open, 3-dimensional experience with the K701's was exceptional, and more pronounced than with the E4c's in the same configuration (which, as I already posted, was quite impressive). This is without question the finest my K-701's have ever sounded. I compared the sound to the SuperMicro III and to the Headroom MicroAmp. The IV blew the III away with the K-701's; no comparison. In my opinion, I must say that the SuperMicro IV even outshined the Headroom MicroAmp w/ Desktop Module when used with the MicroDac and a digital source (Iriver H140, optical-out to MicroDac). I had a very big smile pasted on my face with this configuration.

(I didn't try the K-701's with an analogue line-out, so I don't know how that configuration sounds with the different amps).

So, here's a summary of my initial impressions with various phones and the sources in my signature below, using 3 different amps: The Xin SuperMicro III, The Xin SuperMicro IV, and the Headroom MicroAmp w/ Desktop Module.

GS-1000:
poor synergy with the Xin SuperMicro IV. These phones sound best with the Headroom Micro Amp. The difference between Xin III and IV is track-dependant; in many cases the III actually sounds better than the IV. More specifically, when listening to the IV, the "S" sound sometimes sounds a bit shrill, like a hissing "Shhh" sound.

PX-100:
When used with the MicroDac in the audio chain, the PX-100's do not sound siginficantly different using either Xin amp. There are minor tonal differences, but they are track-dependant and variable. This is also true when using the MicroAmp with the MicroDac and PX-100's, however. The PX-100's seem to sound better with a simple analogue line out; the more revealing sound you get when using a standalone DAC makes the PX-100 sound like what it is: an economy headphone. When the PX-100 was used with the Xin amps using an analogue line out, the IV did have better resolution/soundstage than the III, but it was not a huge difference.

E4c:
Wow. The SuperMicro IV really shines with the E4c's. The perception of an open, 3d experience is quite noticeable in comparison to the SuperMicro III. The distinction is most pronounced when used with the MicroDac in the chain, but is still very discernable with just an analogue line out to the amp.

K-701's:
Double-Wow. Really brings the most out of K-701's, at least when used with a standalone DAC in the chain.

Now, a couple of qualifiers: I seem to be one of the first to have had the opportunity to post impressions about the Xin SuperMicro IV in it's current "final" configuration. That is significant, if you are considering a purchase based on my impressions. Although I post frequently, I am still quite new to the world of high-end audio. I have very little experience with any equipment other than that which appears in my signature. I do not have a technical background, and I am not a musician. I just love music, and have very recently discovered that quality gear brings music listening to an entirely different level of enjoyment. I am as susceptible to the "placebo effect" as anyone else.

In other words, I may very well have no idea what I'm talking about
gs1000.gif

I am looking forward to hearing impressions of the SuperMini IV and the SuperMacro IV (particularly the later). I strongly suspect that these "tweakable" amps will allow owners to find a good match for just about any decent headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back