Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Mar 15, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #811 of 3,962
I just received an email from Dr Xin. My Supermicro IV has been made!

Anyway, can someone tell me a few things about the Supermicro IV:
-Do the stock opamps sound any good, or should I roll others?
-How long should I burn it in for?

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #812 of 3,962
I don't think you will be able to roll the opamp in there without a whole lot of serious builder skill. Also, there is no reason to, the micro iv is considered by many (myself included) as one of the best, if not THE best sounding portable amp available.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #813 of 3,962
Its again upgrade time for those who has Supermacro. It seems Dr. Xin working on major series of tweak which makes SQ of Supermacro better than Micro!

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #815 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by hd650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know which one of Macro, Mini, and Micro can drive my er4p best.
I am so confused......

If you want to be able to convert them to ER4S then you need Macro or Mini.

I've read that Micro sounds best. I have a Mini and I love what it does for my ER4P.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #816 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to be able to convert them to ER4S then you need Macro or Mini.

I've read that Micro sounds best. I have a Mini and I love what it does for my ER4P.

I'm pretty sure Micro can drive ER-4S. In fact, the synergy is supposed to be amazing because Xin used ER-4S to monitor the Micro design

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #817 of 3,962
I want to order supermicro and I have fear to wait months
confused.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #819 of 3,962
I got my supermacro April 2. I was so mad with Xin's business practices and the waiting I was going to sell it. But I made the mistake of listing to it last night. It sounded great not even burnt in. I have decided to keep it. Truly a work of art.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #820 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by itobito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to order supermicro and I have fear to wait months
confused.gif

Dude, just charge it to a credit card (he doesn't charge it until he ships) and just forget about it and consider it Christmas in August!

I ordered mine on Feb 19th and should be getting a early summertime surprise!
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #821 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERNEST T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my supermacro April 2. I was so mad with Xin's business practices and the waiting I was going to sell it. But I made the mistake of listing to it last night. It sounded great not even burnt in. I have decided to keep it. Truly a work of art.

good idea to keep it... i mean you did wait a long ass time for it...

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #822 of 3,962
I think too much is being said about Xin's so-called "business practices".

Members of this forum must by now all be aware of the 4 month or so waiting list and if this is not acceptable then you have a clear choice...

From all accounts those who have patiently waited have been more than delighted and I believe his existing customer service is very good i.e. free upgrades etc.

Furthermore if you pay by credit card you are not charged until a few days prior to dispatch.

Somethings are worth waiting for ...

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #823 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperjacket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think too much is being said about Xin's so-called "business practices".

Members of this forum must by now all be aware of the 4 month or so waiting list and if this is not acceptable then you have a clear choice...

From all accounts those who have patiently waited have been more than delighted and I believe his existing customer service is very good i.e. free upgrades etc.

Furthermore if you pay by credit card you are not charged until a few days prior to dispatch.

Somethings are worth waiting for ...

My only objection is that Xin's website lists 2-3 weeks to ship! That is practically a lie, luring in customers with a false hope. Further, not every buyer will read through this entire thread to come to the conclusion that 2 weeks actually equals 4 months real time.

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #825 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you describe briefly what the latest updates that Xin is/has done on SMIV, referred to above? Is he done now, or I need to wait a bit longer?

I have an old SM (do you call it version 1?) sitting around...maybe I'll send that in for upgrade.

I was wondering myself and nothing had been posted about his efforts recently so I went to his message board and found some quotes from emails that he sent to others regarding what he was up to during the last month or so:

"After the huge change to the power/battery circuit, Macro still did not
sound as good as SuperMini (the latest Mini sounds better than Micro to me).
I have been looking for the last bottleneck...."

"OK, I think I have finally done with the current Macro.
Now the sound is MUCH better than Mini and Micro, I can easily tell. The
most outstanding is OPA637. It is still the king, just need to do everything
right first before it can show up fully. I can even tell the difference
between 637 and 627 in some stability tests.

The RMAA data also confirms my ears: distortion is 0.0003%, IMD is 0.0024%, noise -105.1dB, crosstalk -103.0dB. If my memory serves, these numbers were never all reached before. And the most important thing is: these numbers are all exactly the same for 33 ohm and 300 ohm loads. This is a very sure sign that the amp has reached its peak. There should be no more any bottleneck, otherwise it will show as a difference between high and low loads. In the past, at least IMD was higher with 33 ohm load.

I think I'll keep the current Macro as it is, as it does offer all the
flexibilities without significant compromise on sound, after all these
tweaks. Tough, man."

So there it is from his own lips or actually his finger tips. Maybe its been good for me not to receive my SMIV even after more than 3 months of waiting. Though I can pretty much guarantee that he will make additional changes down the line even though he says that its finished based on his past behavior.

In terms of upgrades though, he will not upgrade a version 1 to version 4 for free – not sure if that is what you meant since he does provide more limited upgrades for free. The design has changed way too much including many new parts. In fact, the upgrade he provides for version 3 does not make it a version 4.

Hope this helps or at least enlightens . . . I just want my SMIV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back