This year's (2008-2009) NEW television shows
Oct 21, 2008 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
A new version of my thread from last year. Technically, many are not "new" shows, but quite a few had their first season cut short with the writer's strike last year, so they are grandfathered-in. Here's my take on the current Fall lineup that I've had a chance to see:

The Good -
Mad Men - I have to give Season #2 my nod for "this year's fav". It is so excellently stylized for the time. God, they make smoking so sexy! Apparently others agree with, since it recently won the Emmy. Hopefully they will expand their storyline beyond Don Draper's trysts long enough to develop more characters, as well have stories built around relevant events of the time.

Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles - Best season opener episode, imo. More great action, a surprisingly heartwrenching scene with the rogue Cameron terminator (I love Summer Glau!), and an awesome song by Shirley Manson (who is also acting in the series this year!).

Chuck - Pretty much the same formula as last year, but just as enjoyable. Somehow it manages to skirt the fine line between drama & kitsch perfectly. I DVR it, and watch it every week. 'Nuff said.

Fringe - Now here's a decent example of the sci-fi, X-file-esque genre. Not great, occasionally annoying, but has some promise. Although I think "Threshold" was better, and look what happened to that series after only a few eps. I question this one's longevity.

Boston Legal - I actually thought this show was already cancelled, but apparently it is now in its final season. Writers seem to have pared-down the huge ensemble of characters, and focused on the magic pairing of William Shatner & James Spader. These guys are insane! When I grow up, I want to be able to speak in public like Alan Shore, and have enough money to act as crazy as Denny Crane (and get away with it). These guys are as good together as any classic show-biz duo. Honorable mention.

Eli Stone - Another one of my guilty pleasures. I can't put my finger on exactly why I like this show, but I do. Lots of good "energy" from this one. Sue me *shrug*.

Pushing Daisies - My fav show last year. I've DVRed the first few eps, but haven't watched what is going on these days at the Pie Hole yet (I want to give them my full attention). Hopefully the writers are keeping up their previous standard.

Life on Mars - I have no idea where this show is going (and I'm guessing the writers don't either), but I found the first two eps surprisingly good. Maybe I just like retro? Anyway, my disbelief is sufficiently suspended long enough to ensure I'll be watching to see what develops. Plus it has Harvey Keitel! My surprise like.

The Bad -
Heroes - Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! There, I said it. We are four shows into the third season, and we have barely moved past what we knew back at the first ep. I feel like I am watching "Lost". This show has been relegated to my "DVR it, and watch when/if there's nothing else I have to do" status. Sad. So sad.

Sanctuary - Bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD! I couldn't get past the first 30 minutes. When will the Sci-Fi channel learn how to create a decent show/movie???

Any thoughts?

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 19
I loved the first season of pushing daisies. Adored it. Now, however, I've had it a bit with the moody Ned. I still watch it though.

Heroes is still my favourite show on air. I can see why people dislike the third season, but I am really intrigued. Gonna watch yesterdays episode tonight.

Haven't watched any of the other shows you mention though. Well, I've seen one episode of terminator, but I couldn't bear watching a whole episode.

The shows on my schedule are: Gossip Girl, Heroes, CSI:NY, Pushing Daisies, South Park, Family Guy, American Dad and The Simpsons.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles - Best season opener episode, imo. More great action, a surprisingly heartwrenching scene with the rogue Cameron terminator, and an awesome song by Shirley Manson (who is also acting in the series this year!).

Any thoughts?

I loved the first season, and I'm really excited about how this one will do.

Otherwise, I really don't watch much TV.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heroes - Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! There, I said it. We are four shows into the third season, and we have barely moved past what we knew back at the first ep. I feel like I am watching "Lost". This show has been relegated to my "DVR it, and watch when/if there's nothing else I have to do" status. Sad. So sad.

My thoughts exactly. I thought they'd pick up well from the atrocious 2nd Season, but we haven't really gone anywhere and I've lost more or less all interest in watching the episodes that I've DVR'ed.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 19
I happened to catch the CBS show "Worst Week" and have to give it my recommendation. A funny, funny show. Check it out!

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 19
Mad Men is a terrific show- agreed! However I get the opposite feeling about the smoking. To be honest it wears me out, physically. And I don't smoke. But after an hour of watching it I feel like I have smoked a pack. Weird, but it really does leave me this way. I guess it just goes to show how well they have created the atmosphere on that show.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 19
Mad Men is on my short list.

Paris Hilton's My New BFF... NOT!

Real Housewives of Atlanta - I have not yet risen above loving to hate dreadfully stupid, slobbering humans with planetary size sense of self. The last two season are also a must, Orange County and New York, for observing pebble brain rich. It's not new, but it's recreated every season.

There is an EXCEPTIONAL series running on PBS right now. America Experience is running biographies of recent presidents:

The Presidents | American Experience | PBS

I'm glued to it.

EDIT: Didn't read the op very well.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

I happened to catch the CBS show "Worst Week" and have to give it my recommendation. A funny, funny show. Check it out!

Basically a TV version of Meet the Parents complete with the exact story lines and occurrences.

Pet getting lost - check
sewage getting sprayed over people - check
starting a leaf fire - check
wedding involved - check

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap! What channel is this on, and how on earth was I not aware of it? Damn, what have I missed so far?

There's only one channel that celebrates stupid so openly... MTV.

Don't worry about missing anything. They run the show several times a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back