This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Oct 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,216 of 1,370
I can confirm PYST cables are now very flexible. I haven't had any problems with mounting it. I've had the M&M setup for more than a month, and I am absolutely loving the sound reproduction on it. So much clarity with my music, especially with my HD558s

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #1,219 of 1,370
  Purchased an M&M set today, mostly because of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US0nx9yMobw

I love that video. I'm probably close to Mike's age, and I can really appreciate the simplicity and elegance of the M+M stack (and honestly, all of their gear). And I just love the attitude.

For years, I had given up on owning really good audio gear. Imagine my surprise when I learned I could spend a couple hundred bucks and own something this good. It was not a hard decision to buy this setup.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,220 of 1,370

I love that video. I'm probably close to Mike's age, and I can really appreciate the simplicity and elegance of the M+M stack (and honestly, all of their gear). And I just love the attitude.

For years, I had given up on owning really good audio gear. Imagine my surprise when I learned I could spend a couple hundred bucks and own something this good. It was not a hard decision to buy this setup.

I am a little younger than Mike, but just getting into the Head-Fi scene, I loved the fact that I could get the Modi and Magni for a couple hundred bucks and not break the bank for my first setup.  The quality of the pieces is outstanding, and I will be looking to Schiit for my next pieces as I get to the point of upgrading.

I am really curious about the sound and feel of tube amps and might start down that road, but for now, these 2 items are blowing me away with the quality of sound for the low price!

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #1,221 of 1,370
  I have ordered mine, but it is still in the mail... 
blink.gif

Looks like I have no chance to try it out this week again...

HAHA... Finally got the chance t sit down with the MM, short of a better word, it's beautiful!!! 
I have tried out the Modi using The PanAm, the sound was warmer due to the tubes, but as soon as I plug in the Magni, I have gotten a just as good quality as The PanAm, it takes a little while to warm up, as soon as it warms up properly, I find it hard to tell them apart!!!

o2smile.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #1,222 of 1,370
HAHA... Finally got the chance t sit down with the MM, short of a better word, it's beautiful!!! 
I have tried out the Modi using The PanAm, the sound was warmer due to the tubes, but as soon as I plug in the Magni, I have gotten a just as good quality as The PanAm, it takes a little while to warm up, as soon as it warms up properly, I find it hard to tell them apart!!!

:o2smile:

Folks, sorry to sound ignorant, but can the Modi work with iDevice? Like the iPod or iPhone via the new lighting connector? Or do I have to use the 3.5 plug at full volume?

Any idea?

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,223 of 1,370
We confirmed at RMAF that all of our USB inputs work with the Lightning CCK, with two caveats:

1. For iPhones, you need iOS7, and for iPads, you need iOS5, 6, or 7.
2. All of them may need a powered USB hub. We seem to be right at the limit of current draw on iOS devices; sometimes it works, sometimes you get the "this device draws too much power" error.

We'll be demoing with the Lightning CCK in the future.

For Android, we're still experimenting with USB OTG and the Audio Recorder Pro app; it seems to be a little more finicky, but we'll report back on compatibility, as well as adding the Lightning CCK compatibility, on the site shortly.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,224 of 1,370
We confirmed at RMAF that all of our USB inputs work with the Lightning CCK, with two caveats:

2. All of them may need a powered USB hub. We seem to be right at the limit of current draw on iOS devices; sometimes it works, sometimes you get the "this device draws too much power" error.

For Android, we're still experimenting with USB OTG and the Audio Recorder Pro app; it seems to be a little more finicky, but we'll report back on compatibility, as well as adding the Lightning CCK compatibility, on the site shortly.

Hooray!!! Getting a powered hub is not an issue for sure!!!

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #1,225 of 1,370

I wonder how well it will work with a samsung smart dock, I'm unsure if that's a powered hub but if it's splitting up the 1 port to 3 i assume it must be.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,226 of 1,370

What do you mean by lightning cck?
Do you mean a lighting to usb camera adapter? The camera conection kit is a 30pin adapter, if you mean using a lightning to 30 pin and then the cck to connect to usb, that would mean that youre no longer getting digital out.

Which of the 2 are you referring to? It would be awesome if modi was able to get digital out from the iP5S!

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #1,227 of 1,370
This one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #1,228 of 1,370
Turns out my girlfriend bought both the Magni and Modi but decided to give me the only the Magni and pretend she didnt buy the Modi.
Surprised me with the Modi today XD Brought it with her in a little victorias secret bag... so when she whipped out the Modi from the bag, that caught me way off guard.

Anyways, quick shiny pics from my phone:

Sounds freaking amazing. Not sure how to describe the differences but the biggest thing is: my ears felt fatigued real easily using just my soundcard + Magni before. But now after hours of listening I still dont feel the same fatigue I felt before. That alone makes the Modi worth it.

Got it set up with DIY pure solid silver interconnects, basic USB cable, and EqualizerAPO on my computer. Sounds just great.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #1,229 of 1,370
  Turns out my girlfriend bought both the Magni and Modi but decided to give me the only the Magni and pretend she didnt buy the Modi.
Surprised me with the Modi today XD Brought it with her in a little victorias secret bag... so when she whipped out the Modi from the bag, that caught me way off guard.

All I got from that was "victoria secret", "whipped out" and "from the bag"

tongue_smile.gif

But seriously, where'd you get the solid silver connectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back