This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #632 of 1,370
This Magni sure packs plenty of power. I can't crank it beyond the eight o'clock position for fear of making my ears bleed.

Forget my previous mentioned concern of it being warm to the touch. It's fine.

Stay tuned.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #633 of 1,370
@MLE, I thought I read you got back into a pair of HD650s? If that's the case how do you like em with the magni? (sorry if thats been covered, i've been gone for a while).

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #635 of 1,370
Do you guys think buying both the DAC and the Amp is a good upgrade from an Asus Xonar STX or should I stay put?? My speakers are terrible so rarely use them, I listen mainly through my AKG's.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #636 of 1,370
This Magni sure packs plenty of power. I can't crank it beyond the eight o'clock position for fear of making my ears bleed.

Just a clarification, that's caused by the gain of the amp, not the power.

How loud an amp gets based on the position of the volume knob is a variable of gain, the maximum loudness attainable would have to do with maximum output power.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #637 of 1,370
I would have bought the cables, and the dac and amp 5 minutes ago but realised Im in the UK. And I dont want an American plug.

Anywhere stock it in the UK yet?

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #640 of 1,370
My Modi/Magni stack is here! I'm going to take some time and fully compare it to the Bifrost/Asgard, but initial impressions are positive. It's certainly good for the price, but it'll take some more time to determine exactly how good (and whether it changes with some burn-in at that).

Edit: I have to wonder if Schiit burns in the M&M like they do all their other stuff, since mine seems to have changed fairly dramatically in the first couple hours for the better. I need to get some more hours on it and then do some comparisons, but revised first impressions are that it's a lot closer to Bifrost/Asgard than I initially thought.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #642 of 1,370
@MLE, I thought I read you got back into a pair of HD650s? If that's the case how do you like em with the magni? (sorry if thats been covered, i've been gone for a while).

Sorry, I no longer own the 650s. Believe, I would love to own them, but I can't afford them as a secondary can. I only need one main music can, and one comfort can when laying down and watching anime, tv shows, etc. . The Yuin G1a is my allternative to the 650, so much that it sounds quite similar.

Pretty sure the 650 would sound great with the Schiit mini stack.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #644 of 1,370
I got my M&M stack this week.  I have a pair of HD650s and the last few days have been a "I don't know why I even bothered listening to music before" kind of experience.  I've been hearing all kinds of things in my music I've never heard before.  To keep it in perspective my previous dac/amps have been a Fiio E10, Headroom Total Bithead, and IBasso DB1/PB1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back