This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #571 of 1,370
Quote:
A day. Why? Please dont say burn in.

Well it takes at least a week for the magnetic fields to settle into place so that the electrons can flow more freely and thus deliver the true purity of the music...

biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #572 of 1,370
Well then, I guess all my other equipment is hellishly slow, as theyve been burning in for months, and they sound the same as day one. :wink:

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #573 of 1,370
A day. Why? Please dont say burn in.

It is amazing to see how many of you people on this forum are in a RUSH to compare and make conclusions after having a product for just a day to few hours. Seriously, what's the rush?

After I had my HRT music streamer II for 3 months a buddy of mine heard it and placed an order for one. When it arrived I told him to let me borrow it so I can put the "burn in" myth to the test. I hooked it up right out of the box, and guess what? It DIDN'T sound the same as the one I had, being the same exact product. It sounded too bright, boomy and just unbalanced. He brought it back a month later, and it sounded exactly like mine. So I have tested this on my own and even solid state products do require some time to fully open up.

The world didn't end, relax and don't be so straight forward towards a brand new product. Give it its time, then make conclusions.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #574 of 1,370
Sorry, I dont buy burn in. I do however buy brain burn in, mood affecting sound, fatigue, etc.

I rather not start this discussion yet again.

This is like my millionth piece of audio gear, and nothing has ever changed enough to call it different from day one. Certainly not some bs mentality that every burn in is positive. Things change randomly, sporadically and constantly. However, the main signature stays the same.

You wanna wait for some magical 500 hour mark comparisons, good luck. Perhaps buying two of each item you wanna prove of burn in is more legitimate than some random guy telling you change happened, made treble nice, bass better, other bs positive effects.

Even then, there is expectation bias.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #575 of 1,370
Quote:
It is amazing to see how many of you people on this forum are in a RUSH to compare and make conclusions after having a product for just a day to few hours. 

It is amazing how many of you people on this forum BELIEVE in burn-in.

Too bright, too boomy, too unbalanced?  The way you describe it makes it sound like it had the change of going from a low-end skullcandy to a stax headphone.  You were in a different mood or state of mind the two times you heard it.  Nothing more.  The possible effects of burn-in would have been much more subtle, definitely too subtle to tell a difference after 1 month of a faint memory of what something sounded like.

So let's just let it rest, and let people post their impressions.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #576 of 1,370
Sorry, I dont buy burn in. I do however buy brain burn in, mood affecting sound, fatigue, etc.
I rather not start this discussion yet again.
This is like my millionth piece of audio gear, and nothing has ever changed enough to call it different from day one. Certainly not some bs mentality that every burn in is positive. Things change randomly, sporadically and constantly. However, the main signature stays the same.
You wanna wait for some magical 500 hour mark comparisons, go ahead.j

Just because you don't believe it can happen you start associating it to other things? How childish...:rolleyes:

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #577 of 1,370
Burn-in can be greatly accelerated with the use of select solvents. Whether you use that on the gear or on yourself is entirely at your discretion... 
cool.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #578 of 1,370
Just because you don't believe it can happen you start associating it to other things? How childish...:rolleyes:

You mean other PROVEN things? Yeah. Actually.

The brain, expectations, and physical health are all factors in how we perceive anything, including sound.

One moment, a headphone can be harsh and unlistenable. Wait a while, and it can sound amazing.

But If you wanna believe that some wishful thinking and memories of how something sounded before and after is a better factor, I pity your gullible nature.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #580 of 1,370
Quote:
Just because you don't believe it can happen you start associating it to other things? How childish...
rolleyes.gif

no actually, he is not, he is right about it.. it is all about perception. even if u believe in science it is still perceived by men, that means it is subject to question by other men. which cannot be more obvious. but to say anything definitive, is it wrong? yes and no. to say anything is possible, it is right? no and yes.

when and if u want to make it simple. just use your ears and feel it.

i personally like to let the headphone sit for a couple hours, or even a couple days burning in along with my system and then hear it. i may miss the changes, but as far as i can tell i notice the bigger changes more easily--last time i remember it, or how my memory sinked in.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #582 of 1,370
Guys, no more dead horse debates please? Let's agree to disagree.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #583 of 1,370
*****Here we go again*****
 ​
How do we know Schiit didn't burn in all units for a week or more before they left the facilities?

I know for a fact that Justin from HeadAmp has a burn in process.  He shows you in his threads...  When you get his gear it's ready to go.  So as soon as I get anything - it's on..  Because I believe all products are burnt in at the facilities to make sure thing work correctly and sound the way they want them to.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #584 of 1,370
Quote:
Guys, no more dead horse debates please? Let's agree to disagree.

+1 this, I feel like all of those debates aren't very constructive. If the person with the impressions want to show reviews after burning it in xx hours, then that's just an added bonus; if they don't, then they don't.  Just like every impression on this forum - one thing that fits for someone may not for someone else so take it with a grain of salt.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #585 of 1,370
:3 so everyone... if I have crap-in crap-out cans, I'm assuming that even a budget DAC/amp combo would improve the sound drastically? Since these seem to have the characteristics of having an in-your-face + center, and I have phones with the same characteristics, I can assume that the effect would be amplified? Sorry if the first question was a bit derp, but I was just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back