This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #556 of 1,370
Lol, it doesn't. Just, someone has bad things to say about something known to be really good, I will counter. That simple.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #557 of 1,370
Quote:
Lol, it doesn't. Just, someone has bad things to say about something known to be really good, I will counter. That simple.

Your initial reply was to someone talking about the POWER because someone else asked "Does the Magni have more power than the E17?" That person was me, because I was told the E17 drives the HE-400 really well and I don't understand specs well. You then went off the handle about it lol. Start a thread about how much the E17 rocks over everything else, quit going off on people over it.

This is coming from an E17 owner - who likes them a lot. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #558 of 1,370
Yeah, I totally said the E17 rocks over everything else. Yup. Anything else?

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #561 of 1,370
I think the HD650 and Magni would be a well balanced combo. The Magni is pretty airy and clean, and the fact that it doesn't smooth out the top end to an already smooth headphone is great, IMHO.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #562 of 1,370
Mine was supposed to be here today, dang postal service...at least others have theirs to share opinions now. Seems like the M/M is a nice set up for 650s?

Same here, I feel stupid for not having paid for FedEx home delivery.... The USPS around my are is just flat out garbage, they've lost packages before and their customer service is actually worst than their service. Is it like that everywhere?

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #563 of 1,370
Same here, I feel stupid for not having paid for FedEx home delivery.... The USPS around my are is just flat out garbage, they've lost packages before and their customer service is actually worst than their service. Is it like that everywhere?

Absolutely NOT.  USPS has been nothing short of exemplary in my neck of the woods.  All my HeadFi-related sales (see my feedback) have utilizes USPS' services.. to both domestic & international buyers.. and never ONCE have they not delivered a package I sent (or received) on time.. or lost a package.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #564 of 1,370
USPS here (rural) is excellent -- the best. UPS is unable to deliver a box that isn't squashed, dented, etc. I return up to 1/3 of UPS deliveries. FedEx is up there with USPS.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #565 of 1,370
Listening to the differences on the Magni. The Modi is a little brighter than the ODAC. It's stupid to even put a number on it. The ODAC is just a teeny smidge more fleshed out, while the Modi is just a little sharper. You can tell in the bass as well. The HE-400 hits just a liiiiiiittle harder on the ODAC.

For volume matching, I use two apps: Sound Meter, and Noise Meter on the Play Store. I place my phone between the drivers, and play pink noise. Was able to get basically the same decibel level on both programs, and both the Magni and SA-31. Not exactly the best tool, but I did this AFTER doing it by ear, and I was basically spot on with the app.

Is it enough to choose the ODAC over the Modi? Hmm... that's a tough call. Definitely not price-wise. I'd say the Modi is 99% the ODAC.

Believe it or not, I desperately want the Modi to be better than the ODAC, so I can put the ODAC for sale, but I can't lie. The ODAC is a very tiny footstep ahead.

If you're gonna get the Magni, just get the Modi. No reason to mismatch unless that price premium for that small micro percentage increase in body is worth it to you. The Schiit stack is definitely a fantastic combo for $200. If you're gonna nitpick over the details that the ODAC is worth it to you, then you should be looking at another amp anyways.

The difference really isn't enough to get a headache over. I'm sure the vast majority wouldn't even notice. Perhaps with the right headphone and super analytical listening, but who's gonna do that?

I enjoy the HE-400 off both the ODAC and Modi and both my amps.

In fact, I'll consider the SA-31+ODAC my warm setup, and my Magni+Modi my neutral one. :D

with flash, because I have horrible lighting in the room...

Don't let the image fool you. The SA-31 is 1.5x the width, and about 3x as deep as the stack. ODAC wedged in between them. :D

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #566 of 1,370
Does anybody think this combo would be a great improvement over a Nuforce uDAC-2 using a HD 598?

I know all the bad things said about how the uDAC measures poorly, but it does not sound that bad to me. And the HD 598 does not require a huge amount of power to begin with. Any thoughts?

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #567 of 1,370
Listening to the differences on the Magni. The Modi is a little brighter than the ODAC. It's stupid to even put a number on it. The ODAC is just a teeny smidge more fleshed out, while the Modi is just a little sharper. You can tell in the bass as well. The HE-400 hits just a liiiiiiittle harder on the ODAC.
For volume matching, I use two apps: Sound Meter, and Noise Meter on the Play Store. I place my phone between the drivers, and play pink noise. Was able to get basically the same decibel level on both programs, and both the Magni and SA-31. Not exactly the best tool, but I did this AFTER doing it by ear, and I was basically spot on with the app.
Is it enough to choose the ODAC over the Modi? Hmm... that's a tough call. Definitely not price-wise. I'd say the Modi is 99% the ODAC.
Believe it or not, I desperately want the Modi to be better than the ODAC, so I can put the ODAC for sale, but I can't lie. The ODAC is a very tiny footstep ahead.
If you're gonna get the Magni, just get the Modi. No reason to mismatch unless that price premium for that small micro percentage increase in body is worth it to you. The Schiit stack is definitely a fantastic combo for $200. If you're gonna nitpick over the details that the ODAC is worth it to you, then you should be looking at another amp anyways.
The difference really isn't enough to get a headache over. I'm sure the vast majority wouldn't even notice. Perhaps with the right headphone and super analytical listening, but who's gonna do that?
In fact, I'll consider the SA-31+ODAC my warm setup, and my Magni+Modi my neutral one. :D

with flash, because I have horrible lighting in the room...

Don't let the image fool you. The SA-31 is 1.5x the width, and about 3x as deep as the stack. ODAC wedged in between them. :D

For how long have you had the Modi?

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #569 of 1,370
Quote:
In fact, I'll consider the SA-31+ODAC my warm setup, and my Magni+Modi my neutral one.
biggrin.gif

Don't let the image fool you. The SA-31 is 1.5x the width, and about 3x as deep as the stack. ODAC wedged in between them.
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your impressions after burn in! :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back