This Mortal Coil anyone?
Feb 13, 2002 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Demetrio

100+ Head-Fier
I was listening to sound samples of this group at CDNow, and really enjoyed what I heard. Reminds me Dead Can Dance a little (I read they are a Cocteau Twins offshoot). I do enjoy this kind of stuff, haunting, spooky, atmospheric, dreamy at times.

From the samples I listened to, I liked It'll End In Tears the most, so I am considering starting with this title, anyway those samples are so short... Is that really a good title to start with?

Other suggestions of bands/artists featuring this same sort of haunting, sppoky stuff?

Feb 13, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 13
TMC was a collection of several 4AD label performers that put out three CDs, best of which IMO was the 1st CD "it will end in tears".
Cocteau Twins contribute on several tracks here. Most critics like the last CD "blood" the best.

There is another 4AD collection called "loney is an eyesore" with tracks by Cocteau Twins, Xymox and others. This is not officially by TMC but sounds similar and has many of the same artists.

Other good similar stuff:
(you already mentioned DCD and Cocteaus many great CDs here!)
-delerium, semantic spaces + karma CDs
-mazzy star, she hangs brightly + so tonight I might see
-xymox, medusa
-love spirals downwards, idylls + ardor
-this ascension, tears in rain + walk softly

These are somewhat similar but kinda new agey:
-enya, paint the sky with stars
-enigma, all 4 Cds

Feb 14, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Demetrio
I was listening to sound samples of this group at CDNow, and really enjoyed what I heard. Reminds me Dead Can Dance a little (I read they are a Cocteau Twins offshoot). I do enjoy this kind of stuff, haunting, spooky, atmospheric, dreamy at times.

From the samples I listened to, I liked It'll End In Tears the most, so I am considering starting with this title, anyway those samples are so short... Is that really a good title to start with?

Personally, I prefer "Blood". It has pretty good sound engineering.. in fact, I think track 6 "You and your sister" is definitely on my top tracks for headphone use... those vocals are just amazingly detailed.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 13
Ha-ha, no they're not a "Cocteau Twins" offshoot, though they are related. TMC was Ivo Watts-Russell's pet "vanity" project -- IW-R being 4AD label head, 4AD being Cocteau Twins and DCD's home label at the time -- and arguably better than any of the label's other projects (not my opinion, but one I've heard argued). The nice thing about them was the variety. Because Watts was the label head, anyone on the roster was fair game, so the rest of the line-up was constantly changing and was a "who's who" of quality alternative music at the time.

Other bands you might like (other than all of the 4AD artists at the time -- check out AMG ) are (1) Black Tape for a Blue Girl, (2) Faith and the Muse, (3) Sky Cries Mary.

Also, a little more outfield, have you tried Legendary Pink Dots yet? I sent a sampler CD to Troy, but in hindsight, I don't think it's his cup of tea (too much like Radiohead), but he might be too afraid to hurt my feelings (impossible!), but maybe if you ask him nicely he will send it to you. That is, if I'm right; if I'm wrong, well then, you're SOL, and I'll just have to do something about it myself...LMK...

You may also want to check out Hope Blister.

And yes, Lonely is an Eyesore fits very well in with that whole collection. Make sure you also check out The Moon and the Melodies, basically Cocteau Twins with Harold Budd. Also, Pieter Nooten of (Clan of) Xymox fame released one of my favorite "chill" albums of the time, Sleeps with the Fishes, which of course leads to Michael Brook, who reminds me of David Torn...Cloud about Mercury...blah blah blah...alright, I'm just free-associating now, somebody...stop me!

You'll be wanting to hear about this really great band "Bauhaus" next! Or Shriekback!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 13
I've had "Blood" for years, and love it. I tend to forget about it, then for some reason I remember I have it and rediscover it all over again
wink.gif

I also highly recommend "Lonely Is An Eyesore" -- great compilation.

If you haven't heard it, you MUST get Cocteau Twins' "Treasure" -- I have every CT album, including the import EPs, and Treasure is the best from beginning to end.

P.S. My Cocteau Twins "best tracks" list would be:
Sugar Hiccup
Pearly-Dewdrops Drops
Ivo
Lorelei
Persephone
Aikea-Guinea
Love's Easy Tears
Orange Appled
Crushed
blue bell knoll
carolyn's fingers
the itchy glowbo blow
a kissed out red floatboat
watchlar
Cherry-coloured funk
Pitch the baby
Iceblink luck
Heaven or Las Vegas
I wear your ring
Bluebeard

(Yes, I actually made that compilation on a MiniDisc
wink.gif
)

Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
You'll be wanting to hear about this really great band "Bauhaus" next! Or Shriekback!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

LOL! Tones on Tail, anyone?

Feb 14, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 13
OMG Mac
You don't have "gold dust rush" (head over heels CD) on your Cocteaus best of list! Also I really like "flagstones" (pink opaque CD) The entire Cocteaus back catalog is long over due for remastering (with bonus tracks of course) Do you even have the EP box set? (I would get that but I would never be willing to change CD after 4 songs, need 5 CD carousel player here)

I hope they don't use the same person who did the recent "stars and topsoil" remastered collection. Although nice/generous collection of songs, I was dissappointed in sound quality which falls well short of most recent remasters.

Feb 14, 2002 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Demetrio,

It'll End In Tears is worth it for "Song To The Siren" alone. Still got the 7" vinyl somewhere (have to have a rake), I used to use it when demoing equipment many moons ago.

Feb 14, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 13
Silk
I was going to mention that same track, the 4AD LP version of TMC "it'll end in tears" is a demonstration class piece of vinyl, that song has unbeliveable space and presence as well as "kangaroo".

The CD version has dissappointing sound quality unfortunately, but I had that album back in the 1980's and played it often on my Linn LP12 turntable.

Feb 14, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
OMG Mac
You don't have "gold dust rush" (head over heels CD) on your Cocteaus best of list! Also I really like "flagstones" (pink opaque CD)

"In The Gold Dust Rush" is pretty good, but it's one of the songs that tends to sound repetitive to me (some of the CT stuff does that
wink.gif
). I like "From the Flagstones" actually -- it was the last song I "cut" to fit all my favs onto one MD.

Quote:

Do you even have the EP box set? (I would get that but I would never be willing to change CD after 4 songs, need 5 CD carousel player here)

Yeah, I have that box set, too. Although there's not a lot there that I don't already have on CDs:
garlands
head over heels
sunburst and snowblind
treasure
the pink opaque
tiny dynamine
echoes in a shallow bay
the moon and the melodies
victorialand
blue bell knoll
heaven or las vegas
iceblink luck.
four-calendar cafe
snow

Feb 14, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Do you even have the EP box set?

I couldn't justify getting the boxset because I had most -- if not all -- of the EP's (many of them were released as "twin packs" on import). The only disc I needed was the ones that were unique to that collection, and I didn't know anyone else who had it.

Then I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a promo for the box set that contained two of those tracks. I thought there were only two or three, so I might be set.

Feb 15, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 13
Boy do I not know what I have on the 4AD label anymore. I finally found "Lonely is an Eyesore"...on video. I vacillate between "It'll End in Tears" and "This Mortal Coil" as my favorite. Somehow, "Blood" doesn't reach the level those two do, IMO.

Mac, I am in awe of your Cocteau Twins collection. I didn't think it was possible to even name everything CT recorded, much less own it. I've got about a dozen, between LP and CD, and I know I'm missing a LOT.

Feb 15, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Mac, I am in awe of your Cocteau Twins collection. I didn't think it was possible to even name everything CT recorded, much less own it. I've got about a dozen, between LP and CD, and I know I'm missing a LOT.

Well, not that much
wink.gif
The albums I listed above are all but two of their albums and EPs, and the box set is almost all of their CD singles. I don't have singles from the last couple albums, although I have friends who tell me I should really get their last album.

Feb 19, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Demetrio

Other suggestions of bands/artists featuring this same sort of haunting, sppoky stuff?

Hi there.. Just wanted to say hey to the folks I know.. and test my avatar.. I love 4ad stuff too! Can't get enough of that swooshy wooshy stuff.. Blood is definately my favorite.. hope to pick up the Hope Blister cd soon... there's a very cool cover of Slowdive's Dagger on there...

take it easy..
-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back