This is too hard...
Aug 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 56
OP -- this is a super time to buy! Prices on great cans are falling fast because new models are on the way, or here!

Buy from Amazon or Musician's Friend and return what you don't like. You can keep this going forever. For the price of shipping you can audition. People complain they can't listen to their chocies, but they can.

Sennheiser has the rebate program going. Try 600's, Try 650's. Try 595's.

Denon D2000 price is going low low low -- a superb all-around phone.

And I love my 880's, like the other posters here.

Have fun. Get going. Listen.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #17 of 56
Thanks for the advice but I am from Canada so what you proposed is not an option for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladislav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice but I am from Canada so what you proposed is not an option for me
smily_headphones1.gif

There must be a good CA internet headphone seller that takes returns, no?

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 56
oh yea, i completely forgot the denons. the d2k are definately worth looking at. super comfortable, good bass, (said to improve with markl mods) and closed. i am not too sure about price, but think it should be under 300 easily. the rest you can spend on buying the dynamat pads, print out the template form one of the threads here, and you should be set.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP -- this is a super time to buy! Prices on great cans are falling fast because new models are on the way, or here!

I love this. What are they going to do, use some new super-material instead of neodymium? One of the cans I've got around is pretty solid for the price range it represents...and dates to the early 80s.

Everyone wants the new fashionable stuff.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #23 of 56
Hey x2 the AD700s I have them too and I even sleep with them on man, and they are your bang for your buck I bought them for a total of like 94 + shipping so it came to like $103 if you're interested just post and I'll be happy to link you.

The AD700s are pretty clear, bass isn't crazy though, but if you need more that can easily be tweaked by EQ settings and they run great unamped to my crappy Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit, but I have ASIO4ALL running.

Btw I listen to Drum n Bass, trance, j-pop, and electronica.

P.S. -The "3D Wing" as opposed to an original headband will leave your hair looking kinda funny the middle of your hair will kinda plop up while the left and right side of your hair will go down, but it's fine if you have short hair or something.

My 2 cents :p

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. -The "3D Wing" as opposed to an original headband will leave your hair looking kinda funny the middle of your hair will kinda plop up while the left and right side of your hair will go down, but it's fine if you have short hair or something.

Heh, yeah. The "wing" takes a little getting used to, but I find it more comfortable than the headstrap design some use. Rigid headbands, it gets complicated because it mounts by clamping on the sides of your head...it's too easy for it to apply too much pressure or to not apply enough and fall off a lot or fail to maintain position. I think the "wing" is a good compromise, but it does tend to muss your hair a bit.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 56
My hair will be fine
smily_headphones1.gif
Comfort > hair
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought of something else, what if I use the same headphones for listening to music I described+ movies/games on my computer, would that change the recommendation completely?

This is crazy....

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wait wut? I have long hair and just ordered the ATH-W1000.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet!

And going straight to the point: you can consider some Grados, maybe SR-225?

Avoid AKGs, people report they are lacking bass; but are extremely detailed, so that is the trade-off.

Anyway, you will need a serious amplification to reach your goals. Otherwise your searching will get you nowhere
smily_headphones1.gif

My main criteria are located just here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...thread-225503/

That is my favourite thread. Try to avoid products which occur too often there! (doing that could force you to buy some electrostatics, but it is your choice).

Regards, Ash

As a AKG lover, I have to protest here. There are AKG headphones which are not extremely detailed, and not lacking bass either.
For instance, the K 601 is a very musical headphone with plenty of bass, and not utterly detailed.
And when you go buying used cans, you will find that K-400 and K240 Sextett are also great musical headphones.
Also, those I mentioned, have a good long listening session comfort, no piercing highs, no fatigue, and overall a decent quality.

If you wait long enough, eventually every headphone will be mentioned in the 'Most overrated headphones thread'.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait wut? I have long hair and just ordered the ATH-W1000.

My hair is...well, not long, but longer than short. You'll be fine, it's just a bit weird at first.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My hair is...well, not long, but longer than short. You'll be fine, it's just a bit weird at first.

well thats ok. now my only concerns are the cable, and the sotrage. i guess ill think of something.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #30 of 56
Seems to me that a Sennheiser HD-600 or HD-650 would be what you're looking for. The HD-650 might be on the high side of your budget, but it is worth it. The HD-600 is more neutral and balanced, but the HD-650 is more refined, darker and groovier. Both sound awfully good with your music, though.

Grados (save for the HP-1000), the K-701, and the DT880 all have much sharper highs than what you say you're looking for. Don't buy one of those without a listen, you might not like them for an extended listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back