This is perhaps the most interesting photo I have ever seen in life
Mar 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #62 of 70
I say the photo is real, but that its also no big deal. What catches our eye about the photo? First of all, he's the only young, good looking person there - except for the girl who almost seems to be making her way towards him. We've become such a youth and beauty conscious culture, he naturally catches our eye. He almost seem unreal compared to the older, dowdier-dressed crowd. 2). He's wearing sunglasses, which always makes a person stand out (right, Mr. Nicholson?). And I've seen plenty of vintage sunglasses in that style. His clothes say he was a college student (track team, anyone? Univ. Manitoba?)

Here's another groovy cat circa 1940.Would he have stood out equally well in that, er, average looking crowd? I think so. His name's Lawrence Olivier

larryandviv9.jpg

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #64 of 70
The idea is interesting yes. But there are plenty of people in our time now that dresses a little odd. This type of thing could happen anywhere.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #66 of 70
Yup I agree with uncle and the others, nothing very strange here.

Of course the guy could have been photoshoped, but why show him holding a cheap and simple folding bellows camera of the period? Not an expensive Leica but something that a college student might afford.

Shadows look ok as most of the people are facing away from the sun and the guy just is looking slightly to the right.

The guy in front seems to be holding a cine camera which looks more ‘sci-fi’ than the modest camera the traveller has.

He looks different yes, but he is just a big college football player doing his own thing with clothes – as they always do.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that it doesn't seem all that implausible. Hell, the Leica II was introduced in 1932. Leica II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yea? At what price? How many "regular" people could afford that....

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #68 of 70
Who says he was a regular person? And this was from the 40s, a decade later. They (Leica IIIs) probably cost about as much as modern medium format cameras, probably inflation adjusted to ~$2000-$5000 or so. Used would be even less, and of course a Leica II would be cheaper than the III. And it does look rather like this (although the lens is, admittedly, black.)
800px-Leica-II-p1030003.jpg

Someone with more experience can feel free to correct me.

Plus, Digg has led me to this.

Marathon Oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That M is supposedly a Marathon Oil logo, and that time was their peak.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #69 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea? At what price? How many "regular" people could afford that....

Implying that he is "regular" I guess.
Which makes me wonder why we are even talking about if we see "anything strange...or in fact completely out of this world" in the picture?
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #70 of 70
But it'd be pretty frickin cool if he time travelled.

edit: on a related note i just watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and i stand by my statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back