third hand tool?
Jan 19, 2009 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16
where do you get those third hand supports? I dont know what they are called, so i cant find them. you know what I'm talking about? very helpful when soldering because it holds something steady. Please throw me a link or a recommendation. My lady is sick of helping me.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 16
Mar 6, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 16
I'm thinking about building one of these DIY Third Hand system but before I begin, I wonder if anyone have already built one and have any opinion about it. thanks.

zk

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 16
The radio shack one is decent, and its got the soldering iron stand which some of them don't have which is nice. For $15 its pretty good, and by the time you buy an $8 one off ebay you are spending $10 to ship it. If you plan on doing this a lot look into something more sophisticated or make one yourself. The ratshacks only real downside is there is no lock on the connection of the arms to the stand so when I try to push down on a joint they sometimes move and it messes me up.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 16
I you're in an area with a Harbor Freight "brick-and-mortar" store, they have fairly nice ones real cheap.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where do you get those third hand supports? I dont know what they are called, so i cant find them. you know what I'm talking about? very helpful when soldering because it holds something steady. Please throw me a link or a recommendation. My lady is sick of helping me.

[size=medium]I know, i know....................lady's hand!! haha!!
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that by the time you buy all the parts, you've spent a little less money than for a low end Panavise.

I had planned on ordering a low end panavise, but that's just way too easy
biggrin.gif

In the spirit of DIY, I was really inpired by this featured project on Instructables. I already have the shop and tools to build it completely without investing additional $ (except for the loc-line parts) so I ordered these modular parts and have just finished building it in prep for my next couple of pcb projects.

The difference with the original and mine is I mounted the arms on "tracks". The arms can be removed easily from the tracks if they're not needed. They can simply slide from side-to-side and can be molded/bent in any configuration (flip, rotate, etc.). The nozzles can accept all types of contraptions you want to attach to the nozzles such as a small fan, extra alligator clips, LEDs, small clamp, etc.

I must say that this multi-use tool works really well.

hlphnd001.jpg

hlphnd002.jpg

hlphnd005.jpg

hlphnd003.jpg

hlphnd004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back