Thinksound Thunder & Rain IEM Reviews – The Eco-Friendly IEM (or More Wood) - NOTE: Thunder will be renamed TS01
Feb 1, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #121 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the soundstage is a big plus (3d is a good description) sometimes i hear things behind me only to realise its something in the music. I haven't experience this with my X5s or RE0s

That's precisely the kind of feeling I've been looking for in headphones/earphones! w00t.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #122 of 168
I got the Rains for about a week now, and I like these more for music then my AD700s.

When i directly A/B these 2, I clearly hear that my AD700s are very grainy and thin.
Soundstage wise, the AD700s slaughter the Rains, but thats the only thing. Bass on the rains extends deeper with more impact.
Mids are ALLOT more smoother on the Rains then the AD700s,
and highs... don't really know. About the same I think.

Conclusion: very happy. Im quite the tree-hugger so the Eco-friendliness is a good plus too!

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #123 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, should get more than 3 stars. I have given these a good burn in, but honestly didn't do much listening until they were burned in. I do think the soundstage opened up and became more 3D and the bass became more controlled.

I agree with this comment. The soundstage does open up slightly and seems more controlled. Bass quantity doesnt improve drastically as is the case with burning in IEMs such as the RE0.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #125 of 168
Sir joe that is is average, my best friend's birthday is coming up and I'm looking to buy her some IEMs. Currently my top 3 choices are the Thinksound Rain, Sleek SA1, and maybe the Thinksound thunder, in that order. I think she'll like the silver and wood combo. I was curious as if you could provide me your thoughts as you own or have owned each?

She's not an audiophile and will likely be listening to low 128kbpsish sources unless these motivate her to look for higher quality stuff(which they might). Her music preferences would me mostly spanish pop and ballads(which involve alot of acoustic guitars and such, and also quite mid oriented), R&B, and other popular music you might hear on a hits station or MTV or whatever. Being a girl I would suspect she has smaller ear canals, but that doesn't seem like it would be an issue with any of these. I want something that will wow her but still be enjoyable after a long time. Given her music preferences and that it will be a gift, which do you suggest?

The rain and SA1 seem to be similar in their sound, with the rain being somewhat smoother, from what I've read. But the SA1 does seem to have more of a gift feel to it. My main concerns for the sleek is that the cabling seems somewhat flimsy, though of course detachable for awesomeness, and that the bass my not be enjoyable for when shes listening to R&B, pop, or hip-hop. While the Rain are not bass heavy, they seem to have some impact and fun-ness to them. The thunders are still a strong option, but I worry they may be too bass heavy for her liking and not render spanish music as well.

I guess what I'm looking sound wisefor is clarity and warmth for acoustic instruments, as big a soundstage possible(I still think this is the biggest wow factor there is, besides maybe bass), and workable bass(I don't think she'd like too much bass either).

Given that the SA1 are available at J&R, I might end up buying those because I dislike having to have things shipped whenever possible, but I was wondering what your thought are? The SA1 are 50 at J&R, so about 55 with tax, while the Rain would be like 59 through amazon, and the Thunder 45.

EDIT: Edited some things, forgot she listens to a lot of R&B too.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #126 of 168
Given your criteria, I would say Rain all the way. Basically because of the bass where the Rain wins handily. But they are both different in presentation. The mids on the SA1 are more delicate and sound spectacular with some acoustic music, whereas the Rain has much fuller mids and they sound good to very good with just about anything you throw their way. Plus I think the SA1 has a little more up front presentation while the Rain has a larger soundstage.

Where I really prefer the SA1 is the looks department, as it does look classier IMO, but I listen to them first, so let it Rain.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #127 of 168
You seem to be psychic or something, because i just edited my post as I remembered she listens to a lot of R&B music as well, and to say that Spanish music is heavily mid-oriented, I find. Let it Rain indeed! Heck, I might pick up a pair for myself, the sig seems like something I'd love, and I need not worry about lack of full extension as I have my Pannies for that.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #128 of 168
I am looking to buy a pair of IEMs for listening at work, office environment, particualry the current offerings by Thinksound. Up until this point I have used a pair of Sony mdr-v6's at school and work, but I am now working where it would be socially unnaccetable to where such a large pair of headphones, not to mention the fact that they mess up my hair, creating a big flat spot. My only experience with IEMs is my v-moda bass freq, which I use at the gym, but I find them to be too bassy when I listen to them in a normal environment, but at the noisy environment of the gym they are fine.

I have been looking into both the Rains and the Thunders. I listen to a wide range of music, all encoded at a decent bitrate. My main question is how much do these two IEMs differ, are the Thunders going to be as bassy as my v-modas? I know they are completely different designs, but how are either one of these going to compare to my sonys? Lastly, are there any other suggestions for IEMs in this same price range ($45 - $65), that I might enjoy? I appreciate any feedback.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #129 of 168
I really like the way the Rains look and have heard nothing but good things about them. I was considering getting these but a friend told me I should get the Shure SE115. The Shures are only about $20 more, would it be worth it to get those instead? I mainly listen to Rock(classic, alt, and metal) and Trance/DnB.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #130 of 168
Thunder is far superior to the V-moda bass freq in every way IMO, except maybe treble extension, where they are similar. And by better, I mean better detail and clarity as well as smoothness.

Not sure how the SE115 compares to the Rain as I have not heard the Shures, but some internet searching (and head-fi searching) may give you a better feel for the Shures.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #131 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thunder is far superior to the V-moda bass freq in every way IMO, except maybe treble extension, where they are similar. And by better, I mean better detail and clarity as well as smoothness.

I was fully expecting that the Thunders were better than my V-modas, what I am more interested in knowing is how the bass enhancement compare between the two. My V-modas can be really bassy, leading to a possible headache, are the bass levels experienced with the Thunder less than my V-modas?

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #132 of 168
I no longer have the bass freq, so I can't compare directly, but when I had the bass freq I had to turn them up more to get them to sound decent, which did lead to a lot of bass pounding. The TS01 (sorry, no longer the Thunder
smily_headphones1.gif
) IMO can be listened to at a lower volume and still allow you to hear and enjoy your music, leading to much less bass pounding.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #133 of 168
Looking for some new IEMs. I currently have a UE 5EB, but my tastes have changed and I don't like the muddy bass. I want clarity like my Grados. I was looking at TF10s, IE8, Westone 3, etc.

I wanted to like the RE0's that I borrowed from a friend. It had much better highs and mids vs my 5EB but the bass wasn't there at all.

Wondering if Rain or Thunder is better? I don't want overemphasized bass.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #134 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for some new IEMs. I currently have a UE 5EB, but my tastes have changed and I don't like the muddy bass. I want clarity like my Grados. I was looking at TF10s, IE8, Westone 3, etc.

I wanted to like the RE0's that I borrowed from a friend. It had much better highs and mids vs my 5EB but the bass wasn't there at all.

I'd be interested to know about this too. Since I got my Grados the RE0 bass isn't quite as satisfying as it used to be.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #135 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you didn't like the bass from the RE0s, i would suggest you give the Rains a miss.
IMO the RE0s bass extends lower and has more punch to it than the Rains.
The Rains bass is more mid bass orientated. The Rains really shine in their lush mids and smooth highs.
The Thunders are supposed to be the Thinksounds bassier IEM so you may wish to try them.
I have not heard the Thunders so I can't comment on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back