Thinksound Thunder & Rain IEM Reviews – The Eco-Friendly IEM (or More Wood) - NOTE: Thunder will be renamed TS01
Mar 4, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #136 of 168
I think Rain's bass was comparable to my SR80 (but not SR325). And Rain shares some of the qualities of Grado signature in general, the mids are full and in your head. Rain are smoother and more relaxed sounding though.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #137 of 168
Sir Joe, hopefully my last question before I actually order, as her bday celebration is next friday.

Thunder or Rain? That's my current question. I had actually decided on the thunders because I thought heck, these are bassy and fun without being bloated, and apparently have a wider soundstage, while also being a good deal cheaper.

Yet as I went to order, I saw the silver cherry were out of stock on amazon. Worse, the price was at 53-58 on the other website i'd have to order from-virtually the same as the rains or more expensive.

Given that she does listen to 50% bassy music and 50% mid/trebly music, is not an "audiophile" (yet), the thunders are potentially more expensive, and I'd like to have some wow factor, any thoughts?

Lol I should really stop worrying though... She's coming from ibuds... These have to be better lol.

Maybe I should contact thinksound and see if I can get the thunders for the 38 price from them. I just worry it might not be in time.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #138 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe I should contact thinksound and see if I can get the thunders for the 38 price from them. I just worry it might not be in time.

I pretty sure Thinksound will match a price. I have read another post where they matched the Amazon price.
However if Amazon is out of stock, they may not match.
Email Aaron and ask him.
Ive had nothing but good service from Aaron at Thinksound.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #140 of 168
Just got the Rains from Amazon (actually with Buy.com as the seller, go figure).

Despite paulypaul's rec that I go w/ Thunders because of the bass, I gave them a quick listen. Whoa, that's actually some good bass. IMHO, WAY more that the RE0's I tried before. Almost on par w/ my UE5EB's and not as bloated. Odd, because that's opposite of what the comments have lead me to believe. I'm burning them in now so I can have a proper listen in a bit. Very encouraging.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #141 of 168
Interesting

From what I've read, it seems it's not that the Rains have less bass than the RE0s, but rather that it's place differently. The RE0s extend all the way into the sub bass, they are just not very upfront about it. The rains on the other hand, seem to not extend as low, but what's there is much more in tune with the rest of the frequencies. Encouraging for sure.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #143 of 168
Quote:

Interesting

From what I've read, it seems it's not that the Rains have less bass than the RE0s, but rather that it's place differently. The RE0s extend all the way into the sub bass, they are just not very upfront about it. The rains on the other hand, seem to not extend as low, but what's there is much more in tune with the rest of the frequencies. Encouraging for sure.

x2 This is true. The walkmans "clear bass" really brings out the sub bass of the RE0 and hence more lower bass and punch.
The iPod may in fact favor the Rains bass due to the Rain being more low to mid bass orientated and the iPod rolling off the sub bass (there are many posts about iPod bass rolloff in these Head-Fi forums) WALKMAN's ROCK
atsmile.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #144 of 168
I just got these and love them. The tips though irritate my ears if I listen for longer than 15 mins or so. I was looking at the Comply Foam tips. I searched the thread and saw that the T-400s seem to fit. Just want to get feed back on these tips, do I have to modify them to fit, does it effect the sound and are they comfortable to wear?

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #145 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombies8mybrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got these and love them. The tips though irritate my ears if I listen for longer than 15 mins or so. I was looking at the Comply Foam tips. I searched the thread and saw that the T-400s seem to fit. Just want to get feed back on these tips, do I have to modify them to fit, does it effect the sound and are they comfortable to wear?

T400s fit no probs.
If you want some softer silicone tips try the meelec m11 tip set, they fit too & include bi flange and tri flange tips too.

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_...-m11bk-mee.htm

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #146 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T400s fit no probs.
If you want some softer silicone tips try the meelec m11 tip set, they fit too.

Thanks for the input. In your opinion which are more comfortable and provide the best noise reduction?

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #147 of 168
Good to know. My source was directly from my iPhone 3G. I'll try w/ my Macbook and D10 tomorrow at work. Probably try my Hornet too.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #148 of 168
Quote:

Sir Joe, hopefully my last question before I actually order, as her bday celebration is next friday.

Thunder or Rain? That's my current question. I had actually decided on the thunders because I thought heck, these are bassy and fun without being bloated, and apparently have a wider soundstage, while also being a good deal cheaper.

Yet as I went to order, I saw the silver cherry were out of stock on amazon. Worse, the price was at 53-58 on the other website i'd have to order from-virtually the same as the rains or more expensive.

Given that she does listen to 50% bassy music and 50% mid/trebly music, is not an "audiophile" (yet), the thunders are potentially more expensive, and I'd like to have some wow factor, any thoughts?

Lol I should really stop worrying though... She's coming from ibuds... These have to be better lol.

Here are some questions I haven't asked before...what does she think of your current IEMs? Let her listen for a while, and is she likes your Pannys (are they modded?), definitely get the Rain, as from what I have read is the Panny is bright without the mod. If the Panny is too bright, get the TS01.

Of course, most people get used to the sound sig after some time, and the Thunder can be less fatiguing due to the treble.

Quote:

Interesting

x2, but not that someone that is just getting into higher end audio would really miss.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #149 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombies8mybrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input. In your opinion which are more comfortable and provide the best noise reduction?

I dont like comply's, i cant get the seal happening well (not because of the IEMs).
I can say the M11 bi flanges offer good isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back