Thinking of moving out of the US. Insight?
Mar 4, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #17 of 99
A young person with limited experience in life speaking here, but if your motives are to escape the economical crisis I'm afraid there are practically no countries that have been able to avoid it. I live in Finland, in northern Europe. You haven't probably even hear of the country. You'd think that the depression can't do much damage here because we're just a small country of about five million people and not a massive player in word economy. Well, I sure wish that was true... Finnish companies, however are dependent on foreing sales. Many Finnish companies work as subcontractors to large international companies. New dismissals of hudreds of people by industrial companies are on the news about every two days. Global world, global problems. I guess I'm kind lucky here. I'll start studying in university in a couple of years and by the time I'm done with that, the depression is likely over. Still, the economical situation here might be significantly better than in U.S. I don't know, because I don't know exactly how bad things are there.

Oh, and if your motives are not mainly economical but you just want to see the world then best of luck with finding a country you like and have a good time, wherever you decide to go.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Seriously, the whole world is in the soup along with the U.S. and there isn't really anywhere to run.

Exactly. If there is a problem in U.S. economy, it'll be a global one in no time. Wheter everyone likes it or not, U.S. has the most influence on world economy. Heck, sometimes I feel someone in Washington hasn't realized the economical responsibility they have. Or could reviving the U.S. economy fast enough have saved everyone else from the depression? Not sure. Maybe...

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also worried about my education not going to be of much value to these countries. (Marketing/Public Relations/Crisis Management).

I would think that if there was ever a boom time for crisis managers, it would be roughly right now.

Seriously, the whole world is in the soup along with the U.S. and there isn't really anywhere to run. Although there might be at least some merit in seeking a locale where the dispossessed and angry mobs would generally be more lightly armed.
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #19 of 99
Quote:

I don't want to escape necessarily-- I just want stability.

LOL

this planet has been invaded by humans . . . there is no stability!

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #20 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just change your career to a Doctor,nurse,or a attorney.You will then always have a job.

not attorneys, the latest casualties in the legal service industry - attorney applying to scoop dog poop in MI . . . may be it's just MI?

I think MD/DO are fine, so are nursing, pharma, DDS; I think that's about all that's recession proof.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #21 of 99
Quote:

I don't want to escape necessarily-- I just want stability.

Travel for fun, not stability. I am all for the idea but don't expect to be any better or worse off anywhere you go.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #22 of 99
Ever seen Into the Wild?

That's the only way to escape, good luck and have fun!

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #23 of 99
Alright, I have read multiple times that the economy is suffering everywhere-- that is very sad to hear, BUT it still feel strongly about working somewhere else. I guess it is less about stability and more about experiencing something new and different.

I am partial to the idea of getting work visas and spending a couple years at different countries/cities. Maybe I will return back home or maybe I will find somewhere I would like to live for the majority of my life. Is this so unreasonable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever seen Into the Wild?

That's the only way to escape, good luck and have fun!

Yes, and I wish I had the balls to do what he did!

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #24 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not attorneys, the latest casualties in the legal service industry - attorney applying to scoop dog poop in MI . . . may be it's just MI?

I think MD/DO are fine, so are nursing, pharma, DDS; I think that's about all that's recession proof.

That attorney must not have filled his pockets before the recession.Or has been a high roller in the past.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #25 of 99
Finish school, travel over the summers if you have the money to do it. It depresses me a bit to say this: With the exception of trades (law, medicine, film etc.) no one gives a hoot about what your degree is, but they do very much care that you have a degree.

By no means is it a hard rule, but it just makes life a lot easier. Not to mention, no matter what else you do, nothing is the same as the experience of going to school (not saying going to school is the best experience ever, just saying it's definitely unique, and you seem to value experience, so live it up before moving on to the next thing.)

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #26 of 99
Quote:

Alright, I have read multiple times that the economy is suffering everywhere-- that's is very sad to hear, BUT it still feel strongly about working somewhere else. I guess it is less about stability and more about experiencing something new and different.

I am partial to the idea of getting work visas and spending a couple years at different countries/cities. Maybe I will return back home or maybe I will find somewhere I would like to live for the majority of my life. Is this so unreasonable?

There's nothing wrong with that. Basing your decision on THIS frame of reference is pretty cool in my opinion.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #27 of 99
Quote:

Alright, I have read multiple times that the economy is suffering everywhere-- that's is very sad to hear, BUT it still feel strongly about working somewhere else. I guess it is less about stability and more about experiencing something new and different.

Yes, and I wish I had the balls to do what he did!

Since you are still a student have you thought about studying abroad? That might provide a bit more stability compared to leaving school and trying to make a living in a new area in poor economic times and you would still get to enjoy the new surroundings.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 99
Wouldnt an attorney only make money if people have money to pay the attorney?
Learn to shovel poop.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #30 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by subjekt32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided that the day I finish law school I'm off to Germany or Austria.

But arent the laws different there?
I fail to see how it will be applicable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back