Thinking of moving out of the US. Insight?
Mar 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

xnothingpoetic

Headphoneus Supremus
UPDATE: Alright, I have read multiple times that the economy is suffering everywhere-- that is very sad to hear, BUT it still feel strongly about working somewhere else. I guess it is less about stability and more about experiencing something new and different.

I am partial to the idea of getting work visas and spending a couple years at different countries/cities. Maybe I will return back home or maybe I will find somewhere I would like to live for the majority of my life. Is this so unreasonable?

Original post:
I don't want to get into politics in here, but this economy is scaring me. I have a history class and we are/were studying the Roman Empire and it reminds me of the US, and now it seems the US "empire" is going to go downhill-- never to see its glory days again.

"So why not move somewhere else?" I asked myself.
I couldn't think of a reason not to other than family and friends, but they understand that we only have but one life in this mortal world, so I want to spend my time here being happy and with peace of mind.

I don't have the energy to learn a new language, so I am going to have to limit myself to English speaking countries. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of Sydney or Melbourne Australia or Vancouver Canada.
I'm tired of the flatlands, and I need mother nature to be near by. These places seem beautiful, right?
However Australia doesn't get cold enough, and Vancouver doesn't get warm enough for my tastes-- but I must make little sacrifices.

I am also worried about my education not going to be of much value to these countries. (Marketing/Public Relations/Crisis Management). So that brings up the question of finishing school or dropping out in my Sophomore year and find some other career path?
--I don't think my parents would like that decision though seeing how I'd be wasting much of their money. This is my only real limitation right now-- finding a way to support myself abroad by making use of my current education choice.

Any helpful insights or experiences on this quest would be appreciated.
Don't feel the need to answer all of my questions. Most of them I have to figure out for myself anyhow. General thoughts and feelings are welcome though.

Please share.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 99
I've always wanted to move into the US.
But the reasons are political.
Argh, very hard to say anything obeying the rules.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 99
Vancouver is a BEAUTIFUL city. But expensive. I think your schooling would carry over fine. I don't think it'd be any warmer/colder then chicago honestly. And the ability to go outdoor skiing AND swimming in the ocean on the same day is mind blowing.

However moving to canada, you're not going to escape the economy much. Though we weren't hit as much as the US was, we still were. And our dollar tanked because our economy is so based on natural resources, that as soon as they go down, our dollar goes down. Case in point, oil. When oil was stupid high, our dollar was stronger then US. Now that its cheap, our dollar is crap. Can't have it all.

I know australian dollar isn't doing any better, but from what I've heard from family, it is beautiful down there. Lot warmer. I think you should make a trip to these places first and see for yourself.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 99
I think it's an good idea to have more foreign working/living experiences. I see that you're young from you profile, enjoy your freedom before you have your own family
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just stay here. As long as most of the people in the U.S are employed I think we're OK.

Some countries are far worse off.

I have to go somewhere. I refuse to spend the rest of my life in one place. There is just too much to see out there and not enough time. Moving within the US is still an option, but I'd like to go somewhere foreign to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd tell you to come here to California, but you'd have to learn Spanish, sorry.

Really? All parts of California?
I think California is beautiful, and it offers many amazing mtb opportunities. It is also the exact opposite of Chicago (which is ruler flat)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about New Zealand?

I can't see making a living there, but that could be my ignorance. This is actually my top place to live for retirement. I wont die without going there at least once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vancouver is a BEAUTIFUL city. But expensive. I think your schooling would carry over fine.

Yes, I read it is very expensive. Maybe I will save this for a vacation spot instead?

Quote:

I don't think it'd be any warmer/colder then chicago honestly. . .

That's good to know. Call me crazy but I love Chicago weather with the extreme temperature variations between winter and summer. Some people are either cold or warm weather lovers-- I'm both!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . .Enjoy your freedom before you have your own family
smily_headphones1.gif

I will!

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 99
Come over to Scotland. You'll be just in time for the rediculous new laws on alcohol pricing.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 99
A mate of mine in Australia moved to the USA to work and was back within a month because of the economy, so I don't blame you. I don't believe anywhere will really escape the huge depression that we're in for. If I was to suggest anything, it would be to learn to grow vegetables. At least then you'll be able to feed yourself at little if you have land.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 99
I dont know why you wanna leave such a nice country. I mean as long as you have the skill and good work attitude I can't see why you can't get a job even if you are made redundant. If all fail you can always go to Mexico.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the economy scares you and you want to escape, I suggest a rocket ship or living in a cave.

I don't want to escape necessarily-- I just want stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back