Thinking of K340s
Nov 8, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #46 of 60
Okay, one last time
wink.gif

For really portable (walking around, etc.) I'll be using my ER4P's. The only time I would use these would be sitting down at some study place so portability is absolutely no issue. Once more - Portability (size) is NO issue. At home, they'll have a nicer setup (TBD desktop amp + Ori modded Zhaolu 2.5A). For the studying, they'll be used with some DAC/Amp combo of sorts (iBasso, Move, etc.).

I could always go with Ultrasone, Denon, something else, but I really want to try these headphones. It seems like no one thinks they're even worth using with a portable amp though
frown.gif
I might have to renew my Closed headphone thread.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, one last time
wink.gif

For really portable (walking around, etc.) I'll be using my ER4P's. The only time I would use these would be sitting down at some study place so portability is absolutely no issue. Once more - Portability (size) is NO issue. At home, they'll have a nicer setup (TBD desktop amp + Ori modded Zhaolu 2.5A). For the studying, they'll be used with some DAC/Amp combo of sorts (iBasso, Move, etc.).

I could always go with Ultrasone, Denon, something else, but I really want to try these headphones. It seems like no one thinks they're even worth using with a portable amp though
frown.gif
I might have to renew my Closed headphone thread.

How do you plan to transport them to wherever you will be sitting out there?

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

It seems like no one thinks they're even worth using with a portable amp though.

Keep in mind. K340 was designed in the time of vinyl and valve amplifiers, pre-headphone amplification. It is basically optimized for use with speaker amps and vinyl sources, both happening to sound more weighty, with more emphasis on lows. You are looking to use it with a portable setup, and solid-state headphone amplification (contrast, this stuff is bright, low watt output). Its just not the headphone that is designed for the job. Find something that is meant to be used with portable gear.

And if you really would like k340 type of tonality, or something in that area, take a look at Grados and ATH-ESW9 (to keep it in the sane price range). W5000 is another can that has a brighter, more aggressive tonality, that will be less of a chore to use.

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #50 of 60
Consider the K240 Sextett. They have very similar tonality (a bit more forward and darker-sounding) and are far more forgiving on amp requirement. Euphony is on a similar level too. They are still a bit large to be considered transportable but since you are willing to throw a K340 (which is larger) into a backpack...

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Okay okay I've been swayed
frown.gif
At a later date, these will be mine! K240 Sextett's seem to be impossible to find but I would love to try them.

Ebay is your best bet. Look for any K240s with silver rings (not the Gold ones!). Prices have been going up lately but they are still within reasonable limits.

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Okay, one last time
wink.gif

I see you were already swayed away from the K340, but I just wanted to add a little to the discussion: it really sounds like you need a separate home and study system. Your requirements are completely different between the two, much like the classic difference between a home and an office rig. Why not set a long-term model of K340 for home, something more easily driven and backpackable for study, and ER4P for moving around. This may sound excessive, but I think it's perfectly reasonable for your pattern of use.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you were already swayed away from the K340, but I just wanted to add a little to the discussion: it really sounds like you need a separate home and study system. Your requirements are completely different between the two, much like the classic difference between a home and an office rig. Why not set a long-term model of K340 for home, something more easily driven and backpackable for study, and ER4P for moving around. This may sound excessive, but I think it's perfectly reasonable for your pattern of use.

Definitely not excessive IMO
wink.gif
I don't mind having... an infinite amount of cans
smily_headphones1.gif
I really do want to try something from all the major headphone companies which is why I'm looking at AKG, Denon, ATH, yadda yadda. I think a Sextett would be cool to try so hopefully someone will respond to my WTB ad
smily_headphones1.gif
I think you're right about the separate rigs though!

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Definitely not excessive IMO
wink.gif
I don't mind having... an infinite amount of cans
smily_headphones1.gif
I really do want to try something from all the major headphone companies which is why I'm looking at AKG, Denon, ATH, yadda yadda. I think a Sextett would be cool to try so hopefully someone will respond to my WTB ad
smily_headphones1.gif
I think you're right about the separate rigs though!

I am exactly in that position now and I assure you I don't like having to throw out my clothes from the drawer just so I can store my headphones in there (I will be selling off some of them soon but none that you are looking for). Besides I only have 1 pair of ears.
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #56 of 60
Sorry, man, I'd sell you my Sextett for cheap (I can always get another next time I'm in Berlin), except I left it in my office in Berlin when I moved back to the US. Doh! Don't know when I'll be back next to pick it up.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #57 of 60
one idea for running the 340s on the cheap is picking up a vintage tube integrated amp and running the headphones off the speaker taps. This is a semi controversial idea as not all agree that is is the best sound but I really believe this is a better option than running them off an entry level home headphone amp. I would try the fisher kx100 or a scott 222c as good starter amps. Just be sure they have been gone over and have been given a clean bill of health from a qualified tech. They are 30-40 year old amps and you want to make sure the caps are up to snuff.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, man, I'd sell you my Sextett for cheap (I can always get another next time I'm in Berlin), except I left it in my office in Berlin when I moved back to the US. Doh! Don't know when I'll be back next to pick it up.

plainface.gif
I will pay for all postage
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

plainface.gif
I will pay for all postage
tongue.gif

I sublet my office to a friend to use as a studio while I'm away. Something tells me she doesn't want to dig through my stuff to find the Sextetts. That's her on the right:

fountain%20fun.jpg

I also advise these guys, the always entertaining band Team Plastique, on their headphone purchases. Suffice to say I only suggest extremely durable headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back