Thinking of K340s
Nov 5, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you have not heard the k340s through a speaker amp hooked up like the k1000s then you may not have heard them at their best. They were outstanding out of the first watt and also hooked up to the RSA sig 30. In both cases they sounded better than out of any headphone amp I have previously used them with.

I disagree with this based on my experiences, though I haven't heard them on that specific speaker amp... so who knows.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question: How badly do these headphones leak? I'm replacing my HD580's and I'm ok with an open phone if it doesn't leak too much
smily_headphones1.gif

They are semi-closed and so leak very little (esp. so with proper positioning). You have to be listening really loudly for anyone nearby to be able to hear it. That is, if your ears can take it and your amp has the power to deliver that volume level.

Regards.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #34 of 60
Ahhh thanks so much! At home I would have an amp, but would I be able to run these at least decently out of a portable amp? I want to use them for study sessions. Right now they'll be out of a go-vibe v5 but once I have gotten my laptop I'll use something like a Corda Move / iBasso D1 (I've yet to decide).

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Ahhh thanks so much! At home I would have an amp, but would I be able to run these at least decently out of a portable amp? I want to use them for study sessions. Right now they'll be out of a go-vibe v5 but once I have gotten my laptop I'll use something like a Corda Move / iBasso D1 (I've yet to decide).

You'll probably get enough volume out of a portable amp, but they'll sound congested and anemic. For me, it was a big difference between the hornet and the perreaux sxh-1, although I think the perreaux is still not driving it well.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
So, while possible, I won't get the best sound. I could live with that probably.

Hm...this is k340 we are talking about. From my experience - you would at least be better off getting ASL MG Head OTL with it.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #39 of 60
Well I ended up with a pair of stock K340s. I think they would be the bass heavy version but I would call then bass mid. Definitely not a headphone to be driven off a portable amp. I plan on moding them to see what they can do.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #40 of 60
Blah.. come on guys. I'm not solely driving them off a portable amp. Just for studying on campus. Well, I'll watch this thread for other thoughts, but I'm following through with this plan. At home they'll have a nice amp, and at least some type of amplication for when I want to go on campus and study.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #42 of 60
Okay, so at home they'll sound great but portably, they'll sound awful? Is it not even worth getting them because of that barrier? That's the impression I'm getting. Size doesn't matter. I'll be sitting at a desk or some studying area. So "portability" doesn't really matter. If you want to tell me they're not "portable" in your opinion, tell me why. If you just don't want to have big headphones, then I'll be able to just erase your comment from my brain because it doesn't apply to me. If you think they'll sound completely awful then tell me that because that's something I would like to know.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #43 of 60
Using the K340 with the SuperMacro was not as horrible as I had thought it would be, but it's certainly at the far bottom of the pile, not worth listening to at all IMO.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #44 of 60
Portable amp compatibility will depend on what version of the K340 you have. If it's a bass heavy version, then you may very well get away with it since you'll still have a full sound with relatively good tonal balance.

A bass-light K340 absolutely needs tubes. It's not neutral, it is very much on the bright side, so you need a warm syrupy amp to balance it out. Also, it is extremely revealing, so if you plan to use it portably with an mp3 player as a source, forget about it. You need a resolving, transparent, and grain-free source or you will clearly hear all of the problems.

Of course, that is only for the bass-light version I have. It is downright painful with Hornet/X5 but very lovely out of the main Rega/MG Head rig.

As far as comparisons to other headphones go - honestly it depends very much on the version you have.Comparing a bass-light K340 to the SR-404 shows that the Stax does have superior microdetail, a larger soundstage, and more bass extension, but in every other regard I think the bass-light K340 is superior. It has a much better midrange with slightly emphasized lower mids, a very linear though boosted treble, and a very tight, punchy, well-controlled bass. There is something very solid and authoritative about its sound, which the Stax lacks. It does get a bit shouty at times, and compared to something truly world-class it is a bit coarse, but given how dynamic, musical, and yet detailed it is I can forgive it that. Definitely one of the best headphones under $1000, even better than the HD600 which under the right circumstances can be one of the best headphones ever made. It just has that "magic" that I look for in a system yet have the Devil's own time trying to define, even if it is a bit rough around the edges.

The stock bass-heavy version wasn't nearly as good, but I can't give detailed commentary since my exposure to it was brief.

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #45 of 60
If you're going to go portable, I strongly suggest looking at other phones. While the K340 works with my portable amps just fine (the Microshar runs out of steam very soon though), they certainly benefit from beefier amplification. The large size also means they are not the most transportable, let alone portable, phones. And depending on which version of K340 you end up with, you may get a pair that is relatively easy to drive or you may get one that takes one behemoth of an amp to drive. Definitely less risky and more straightforward to get an alternative phone whose portability has also been headfi-approved.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back