Thinking of getting Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 phones . . .
Oct 6, 2011 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aillas

Head-Fier

There seems to be very little talk of the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 phones here. But to you people here who've heard them: Would I regret getting them? Are there other portable cans in the same price range ($200-$300) that I'd be better off getting? How portable are the ATH-ESW9's? Would it be fine to wear them outside daily? How would they work with a Sansa Clip+ portable audio player using no headphone amp?

I spent many hours yesterday looking at headphones and the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 cans looked most promising. I like that they're portable, sound as good (if not better) than the highly acclaimed Audio Technica M50 cans (to many, anyway), and don't need an amp.

I've considered getting the M50's a few times in the past but them not being very portable and needing an amp to be powered prevented me from getting them.

Anyway: Tell me if I should go with the ATH-ESW9's or not. If anyone can suggest any other cans in the $200-$300 range that are highly portable, sound great and don't require an amp to work effectively, please do so. Also please let me know of a good place for Canadians to buy these cans online. These cans are rather hard to find new online. Perhaps I'd be better off getting them used on the For Sale/Trade forum here on Head-Fi.

Thanks.

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 5
ESW9's are sweet, musical sounding 'phones with a beautiful appearance to boot.  I don't know about wearing them out daily -- it's just not my thing.  I don't do this with my other on-ears, so it is just a personal preference and not specific to ESW9's.  They are not the ultimate in detail or transparency but are colored in a very pleasing way.  I recommend getting the "hard" case that AT makes specifically for this series of headphones.  IMO, these are a noticeable step up in SQ from the M50's (which I also own).  The M50's will rock harder, but the ESW9's are suited to a wider range of music and have a finesse that the M50's cannot begin to touch.  

EDIT:  Be very wary of fake ESW9's -- lots of them out there.  Buy only from an AD and if buying used make sure the PO can produce a copy of a receipt from an AD. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 5
I like them a lot. I don't think there's much, if any, difference when amping them. Haven't tried them with any source other than the iPod Nano 5th gen though but it seems to drive them good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back