Thinking of entering Grado town, recommendations for first Grado?
Jul 11, 2006 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
Since I have a nice new tube amp on the way, I was thinking about how it would sound paired with Grados.

I was thinking about The SR-60s naturally, but some people like the SR-80s more, should I get the 80s? What is the biggest difference?

I considered the SR-225s but I would hate to drop $200 on a pair of cans then hate the Grado sound signature. Is it really a vast improvment from the SR-80s to the 225s?

I know the MS-1s have a lot of fans here, but I think I would go for a "real" Grado since then I would know how Grado really sounds.

How do Grados compare to the Senn 580s or Sony SA5000s?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 17
if you can afford it then i would start with the 225. the sr-60 is good but not good enough for a home can imho. if you dont like the 225 then you can always sell it for not too much of a loss..but it makes a great primary or secondary can to mix things up.

Jul 11, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
if you can afford it then i would start with the 225. the sr-60 is good but not good enough for a home can imho. if you dont like the 225 then you can always sell it for not too much of a loss..but it makes a great primary or secondary can to mix things up.

I agree, only because people say it sounds similar to the HF-1 and is the least bright. My first high end can was the SR-80. I really liked it at the time, but I soon learned how overly bright it was (using bowls). I'd buy yourself an SR-225 and some Flats (or comfies). If you can't afford that, get an MS-1. It is a real Grado! Hell it says "Grado Labs" on it, you will be ok.

Jul 11, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 17
Someone posted this link earlier in the For Sale Forum:

http://www.powermax.com/product/Grad...ms-138163.html

You can get a new SR-60 for $49.88. That's not much of a risk. If you don't like them, you should have no problem getting $50 for them in the forum here. And if you do like them and want to upgrade, you can still get $50 for them and put that towards the one you want. I think that's the lowest risk option.

Heck... I might pull the trigger on these tonight. I've been curious about the SR-60, and it'd be nice to have something to kick around with the iPod besides the IEMs.

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911

Agreed..

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 17
I love the SR60. It's such a great knockaround headphone... durable and very pleasant sounding. Warm and fuzzy.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 17
I'm going to jump into the Grado line hopefully by the end of this year with a RS-2. If it's the 225 but everything better...then I'm all for it
cool.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 17
I would suggest getting ( in a time ) both a metal and a wood pair of the Grado family ( 325i/MS2 and RS2 is a vewry good combo ) ..
people are quite divided on this forum on which sound is better ( the metal or the wooden sound ) so it would be kind of nice you could try both and decide after it ; remember all Grado/Alessandro top cans are very easy to resell and they usually sell in few days if not hours on the sale forum . Also keep in mind the metalgrados are not light to wear .

the rs-2 is a very nice spot in the Grado line , while the ms-2 is a very good top tier allrounder and really worth the money .
the 325 sound very good when paired with a nice source/amp ( possibly tubes ) combination and some say they are like "baby ps-1" ; the ms2i will sound very good in anyway

more then this , I would also suggest to keep an eye on Audiogon (and Ebay) for a pair of Hp-2 ( or Hp-1000 ) , from time to time they appear , and from time to time they appear with a steal price

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
Since I have a nice new tube amp on the way, I was thinking about how it would sound paired with Grados.
... The SR-60s ... SR-80s ... SR-225s ... MS-1s ...
<paraphrase: unfamiliar with the Grado sound signature> ...
How do Grados compare to the Senn 580s or Sony SA5000s? ...

From experience, I can say that the sound signature of the SR60 and SR225 is very similar. The overall sound QUALITY of the SR225 is sufficiently improved over the SR60 that it is well worth the price difference (IF you like the basic underlying signature). Also from experience, I can say that the SR60 improves modestly with the addition of an amp, the SR225 improves well enough to justify the cost of a $400 or so amp, IMO. Since you are buying the phones to test whether you like the Grado signature (which indicates starting toward the entry-level models) AND you are specifically wanting to pair them with an amp that would indicate the SR80 - entry-level and well-documented to improve well with an amp. At this point, you can increment your way up to an SR225 (if you want to): SR80's only cost a little less than the MS-1, which are only a tad less than the SR-125s, heck, if you're going to try the SR125, might as well go for the SR225... You know how it goes on this forum.

For my tastes, the VWAP-modded HD414 pads are THE way to fly with the SR60 and SR225 - compared with either the comfies or the bowls.

I own (and love) the SR60, SR225 and HD580. I'd compare the sound quality of the HD580 more to the SR225 than to the SR60. With the stock cable and grilles, the HD580 is about 3/4 of the way in SQ between the SR60 and the SR225. With HD600 or 650 grilles and a 650 cable, I'd say it's pretty equivalent SQ to the SR225, and with a Cardas replacement cable it surpasses the SQ of the SR225 by a noticeable and appreciable amount (well worth the cost of the Cardas cable, IMO). That was all overall SQ comparissons. As far as sonic attributes go (SR225 vs HD580), I hear quite a few similarities AND differences which make the two beautifully complementary. When I want the impact and "wail" factor that takes classic (or prog) rock or shoegaze to the next level, I use the SR225. Unlike many, I get very enjoyable soundstage and sonic imaging from my SR225. The HD580 I use for just about everything else - their additional clarity, spectral balance from one end of the spectrum to the other, gorgeous decay, and an additional measure of depth and spatial presentation make them ideal for all acoustic instrumental (folk to classical), female vocal, and every kind of electronica I've thrown at them, including trance. What's in common between the two?: 1) impact and texture (the HD580 can really hit you when the signal calls for it - laid back? - not to me), 2) soundstaging (oddly enough, from many of the comparissons I've read) - the HD580's do this better (larger and more precise) but the SR225 and HD580 present similar spatial impressions to my ear, 3) both give similar overall spectral impressions - the SR225 seems optimized for the "wail" factor (that lupine sense of howling into the night) of rock and the HD580 seems more overall balanced across the entire spectrum, but the 580 does NOT impress me as "laid back" or as a counterpoint to a Grado. The 580, to my ear, give a pretty similar overall spectral impression as the SR225. In fact, I can, and do, listen to rock, and enjoy it quite a lot, through the HD580. When I want to optimize the experience, however, I switch to the SR225. Even with the Cardas cable, the HD580 does NOT take rock to the level of the SR225.
Just my 2 cents (and probably not really worth even that) - but you asked, and here is what I have found by experience. YMMV.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 17
LOL I was gonna recommend sr225's but I guess some people beat me too it. Yeah if you wanna try out authentic grado sound but are apprehensive about their sound sig that doesnt work for everyone I'd go with the SR225's cause they are less harsh than SR80 and such and you can always sell them pretty easily around here if you still don't like it. You could even consider buying used sr225 if the price is a little steep.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 17
I did not see the 225 mentioned so I will add it to the mix. For the pricepoint I think it is the best representation of the Grado sound/

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar

I was thinking about The SR-60s naturally, but some people like the SR-80s more, should I get the 80s? What is the biggest difference?

I considered the SR-225s but I would hate to drop $200 on a pair of cans then hate the Grado sound signature. Is it really a vast improvment from the SR-80s to the 225s?

I know the MS-1s have a lot of fans here, but I think I would go for a "real" Grado since then I would know how Grado really sounds.

How do Grados compare to the Senn 580s or Sony SA5000s?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO...
Tube amps (warm ones) work very well with the bowl padded Grados. I for one dont like the SR60, MS1 (or TTVJ flats for that matter) with my tube amps. Too conjested and an even more compressed soundstage. Bass textures (especially acoustic bass) lack air and a sense of spatial depth with any of the flat pads I have heard. Bass notes are to "heavy" and thumpy sounding for my tastes.

IMHO the pads are the biggest difference between the SR60 and 80, and for me worth the extra $$. MS1 also sounds VERY good with bowls, or hole modded comfies. When I had my MS1 my favorite pads were bowls, followed by hole modded HD414s. I kind of regret selling my MS1, noww that Ive got my earmax dialed in for my Grados.

IMHO you still should consider the MS1. Its still a "real" grado... it still has the Grado slam, impact and dynamics. It just goes about it in a more balanced way.

Grados are polar opposite from the HD580. More closed-in sounding, more bass impact, more forward mids and highs. HD580 is a very distant sounding can IMHO.... Kind of leaves you separated from the music, while Grados put your head right infront of the bass drums and guitar cabinets. But then it largely depends on what kinds of music you listen too. I do enjoy my HD580, when I just want a relaxing, distant kind of presentation. They're great TV watching and www surfing cans... kind of like background music.

I heard irondreamers SA5K almost year ago, so I'm going to refrain from commenting too much. From my faint memory, I DO recall the SA5k being more detailed and balanced across the spectrum compared to my RS1. It was not as bright or harsh as I was led to believe.

try and get out and demo whatever you can and develop your own ear. IMHO you can't really go wrong with ANY of th cans in this thread. It comes down to personal preference. My first Grado was an MS2, GREAT starter-grado IMHO. You can get them used for around $200. I scored mine off ebay for $155. IMHO a used MS2 (or the i version) is a better investment than a new SR225.

what kind of tube amp are you getting?

IMHO Grados sound substantially different with tube amps versus solid state. Johns reference amps are an RA1 and melos... from what I understand a very warm 6DJ8 based tube circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back