Thinking of Ditching Cable Service
Feb 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #16 of 47
I don't even own a TV and never will. Someone was trying to sell me some product over the phone once. When I told the woman I don't own a TV, she asked "What in the world do you do then?!". I promptly asked her, "Well, have you ever heard of a book?"

I find not having a TV gives me more time to interact with my girlfriend, work on my studies, do side projects for people/companies, and also leaves more time for me to do volunteer work around the city.

My vote, ditch the cable.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #17 of 47
i dont have a tv and have no desire to, well i do technically own one but i just left them at my parents, my sister has it now.

tv is mostly crap, any time im at my parents and start flicking channels (they have sky) and its just so boring and pointless. you just have to pick the fist thing you come across that sounds okay as if u were to go thought all 800 or so channels you have missed the first 10-15 min of everything anyway

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by StuffWhitePeopleLike
The number one reason why white people like not having a TV is so that they can tell you that they don’t have a TV.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 47
When there's a TV show I really like I buy the DVDs.
When I need a fix of HD I go outside.
smily_headphones1.gif

You don't need cable.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #20 of 47
Definitely, especially since cable+HD tends to be around $70 a month, which is a lot! That could go to some other fun things, which will probably get more use. You're a gamer, so hey, that's one game a month, which is faster than I at least could even play through them.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 47
Ditch the cable. I haven't watched TV for several years now and I haven't missed it at all. Close your eyes and listen to music instead, go and learn how to juggle or how to ride a unicycle. Pick up an instrument and learn how to play it. There are so many things which are so much more fun than watching pointless TV shows.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #22 of 47
I'd cancel my cable TV if my stupid (actually, really smart) cable company would let me get the 15mbps down / 2mbps up connection without the TV service. When I asked why they wouldn't sell it to me, the guy simply told its because if I had that fast of an internet connection, I could download all the TV I wanted anyway... so company policy is to make you get TV if you want the fast internet.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #23 of 47
$133?!

Dump it. Us the money to buy a Hakko 936.
evil_smiley.gif

As for bragging about not owning a TV, that's beside the point. Dumpin cable and TV was a life changing event, though I didn't realize it at the time. During withdrawal, I sorted out the 1959 F-100 I had that I had been "meaning to get to," as well as restored a bunch of furniture and radios tha had been sitting. It got to where I looked forward to my projects more than I ever looked forward to TV. Among other stuff, it freed up time to get another degree (accounting) and even led to a four year relationship with a woman who had kicked the habit a few years before. It might sound trivial, but dumping cable actually changed my life. A good change, too, so I tell other people that it worked out for me.

For the record, I do have a TV. It's a General Electric made in 1957. 12" black and white, with 13 vacuum tubes. I found it at a junk store for $5 and thought it would be a fun restoration project. Admittedly, I've been tempted by some of the big LCD screens. I do enjoy watching movies, so if prices get better, I'll stop watching them on the computer.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 47
$133/month works out to one month of Boston rent over the course of one year. Maybe picking up a more affordable DSL and kicking your cable can lead to some serious money saving for projects. Woo!

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #25 of 47
if i wasnt at my parents i wouldnt have a tv, [its £130 or something for the bbc if you have a tv]
you can get all the decent programs via iplayer, 4od etc

we had sky satellite tv a while ago, ditched that cause of crap all on and expensive

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$133/month works out to one month of Boston rent over the course of one year. Maybe picking up a more affordable DSL and kicking your cable can lead to some serious money saving for projects. Woo!

I've thought about DSL a lot. In my area I can get DSL through Verizon, but I always worry that the speed might not match Comcast's service. If it weren't for the fact that I live in an apartment I could invest in FIOS, but I doubt I could do that in my current situation.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 47
133$ is still a lot but ask yourself if you really want to dump cable. I do not watch TV that much for I hate breaks and they always seem to cancel the shows I watch.
When I do watch TV I find it very relaxing however and I think I will miss it when it is not there at all.

PS. I don't pay the bills here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 47
For what little TV I watch, I know I won't miss it. But I'm not sure how the DSL service compares to the cable service around here. That's the only thing holding me back from ditching Comcast altogether.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #29 of 47
I think sometime this week I'm going to have a talk with the management at my apartment complex about FIOS. I don't know exactly what the policy is, but if there's even a remote change of me getting FIOS internet, I'm going to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back