Thinking of Ditching Cable Service
Feb 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm starting to give serious thought to discontinuing my cable TV service. Right now I've got the nice fancy HD package with a whole bunch of channels that I never watch. I got the service after I bought my HDTV, but even with the nice TV I still really don't watch all that much. When I do use the TV, it's usually when I bust out the PS3 or the spare computer that I have hooked up to it. And I'm fairly certain that given the low number of shows that I actually watch I could probably find them online pretty easily, or just get them OTA if I was so inclined. Now granted, if I ever have people over they won't be able to watch TV, but I almost never have people over anyway. And besides, I've still got the PS3 and the Wii.

So yeah, I'm really starting to wonder why I even bothered with cable in the first place.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 47
Do it, who needs TV when you have internet.
wink.gif

And the shows you do want to watch you can usually download or stream somewhere.

If you don't have a family with kids or something, I don't see the need for TV at all, except as background noise for when you're doing something.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 47
I do not know what channels you will still have but I wouldn't ditch your cable.
I think you will miss it pretty soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 47
Do it.

I had a dispute with the cable company in late 1999. So I paid them off and had them turn off the service. I went through withdrawal for the first month. Then, I stopped caring and found a ton of other stuff to do in my spare time. Almost ten years later, I still don't watch TV and don't miss it.

Figuring in interest, etc., that's probably saved me at least $10,000 over the past ten years.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 47
Do iiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I haven't had cable for about 5 years and I basically only notice for events like the Super Bowl or the NYE Times Square ball drop.

TV also rots the brain.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go shop for some $15 capacitors...
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 47
TV is becoming a dinosaur...unless they find out how to get integrate TV with Internet in a simpler manner..many are trying many have failed.

my family watches tv..and i hardly watch it..

all US shows come here months late..i download them and finish it off.

also..TV's sound quality sux.. Reason no.1 !
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know what channels you will still have but I wouldn't ditch your cable.
I think you will miss it pretty soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

But the thing is even after I got cable I still hardly watched TV. Even on my days off I hardly even touch the TV unless I'm playing Wii or PS3 games. I spend more time on my computer than I do watching TV. And I remember how nice it was not having a $133 cable bill every month.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 47
Totally worth it. I've been off cable TV for almost three years now, and I have something like 10 shows a week I regularly watch. They're set to download automagically, and then stream to my TV when I want them. Like TiVO, but free.

You'll miss it for live events, especially if you watch a lot of sports, but many states have regulations that force cable internet providers to also include local OTA stations with internet service -- they just don't have to advertise that fact. I get 24 channels with my cable internet, at zero cost to me. I've never once turned them on, I just scanned for them, but still.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 47
I didnt watch tv for like 5 years. My friends would talk about shows and what was on the news and about current events etc, and i was in the dark about alot of it. So i read the news online, usually YAHOO news.

At a job i had at Office Max, they blew out a flat screen 19" tv/monitor combo for $50, so i figured id get it because it doubled as a back up pc monitor.
Since i started watching tv, i find i sit here more, and usually have it on while im on the computer also.

If it takes away time and you cant pull yourself away from it to do more important things, then ditch it. You have music and the internet.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 47
I really don't watch a lot of sports. Not so much because I'm not a fan, but being that I'm from Cleveland and I currently live in Harrisburg, none of the games I want to watch are ever on. So that's not much of an issue for me.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the thing is even after I got cable I still hardly watched TV. Even on my days off I hardly even touch the TV unless I'm playing Wii or PS3 games. I spend more time on my computer than I do watching TV. And I remember how nice it was not having a $133 cable bill every month.

$133?
eek.gif

Ditch it!!

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$133?
eek.gif

Ditch it!!

The $133 includes my cable internet service and my digital cable service with HD. So the bill isn't just for the TV. But it's still a pretty hefty bill for something I don't make much use of. Plus it's Comcast, and Comcast is evil.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 47
Do it and see how you cope with it. I too never watch TV except when I'm overclocking my computer and testing the settings (working in bios a lot ) so its a nice distraction during memtest or whatever but.. I got DAP for that now :p

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 47
I quit cable back around 1990. I had been a huge sports fan but found I didn't miss it. Now my wife watches television and I listen to music. I probably don't watch 6 hours of TV a week...and don't miss it.

There are other options for internet, especially today. I'm in the process of switching from DSL to a WiMAX provider ... basically wireless internet provided via microwave transmission. Costs less than cable and is reported to much faster.

Dump the cable! Do it now!! Your wallet will thank you, and like Uncle Erik sez, you won't miss it inside of a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back