Thinking about the ATH-W5000. Can these prices be right?
Jun 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CrazyRay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for my next headphone and was thinking about the ATH-W5000.
My favorite of the 3 headphones that I have right now are (in order):

1) Lawton Audio LA7000
2) Deep Morado Bolivian Rosewood V3 Darths
3) Grado Elite by HEADPHILE

Would the ATH-W5000 be the next logical choice?

Music Preferences:
ROCK: Chicago Blues, John Hiatt, Little Feat, Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, Steve Earle, Allman Brothers, New Order, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, The Cure

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 12
LCD-2

Seriously, they are great at $1000, and probably find used for under $800 is your lucky and they are great all around headphones. I enjoyed them, but not the price to me. Actually, my T50RP sounded almost the same. 
rolleyes.gif
 I have no idea why, but after half an hour of switching them at a booth at a convention, I was pulled away from the guards before I could choose which one I liked best.

It was probably the difference of the open and closed situation. I'd really like to spend a week with them, anyone like to send me a pair?
darthsmile.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Thanks BotByte, the LCD-2 was another headphone that I was contemplating.

Well if you can stand that headband, I would go for them. Not too sure about how well they would suit your set up but you ask the thread here about that.

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Jul 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Hello all, I was looking at the prices of the W1000x vs. W5000 and they are almost the same price?
Am I missing something?

W1000x — $559.00
W5000 — $649.00

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 12
So to your assessement of the LCD2, the difference with the T50rp is not worth $900.00 upgraded. If so, you have save me beaucoup d'argent, my friend. As much as I like to have the LCD2 one day but their wooden trims around the cups reminding me  of the old station wagon back in the 70s and that  turns me off.  

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
So to your assessement of the LCD2, the difference with the T50rp is not worth $900.00 upgraded. If so, you have save me beaucoup d'argent, my friend. As much as I like to have the LCD2 one day but their wooden trims around the cups reminding me  of the old station wagon back in the 70s and that  turns me off.  

No, my MODDED T50RP are worth their weight, but the LCD-2 beats them in both clarity and separation. But this can be modded out with a silver recable.

But i don't have the drive to spend that much.

Either way, when you dive into the $500+ market, the differences are very little. 

I'm saying that I like my T50RP because I've spent well over 40 hours modding them and trying everything to them to turn them into the best cans, I can. 

I get turned off with who whole body to the LCD-2. It looks like some guy rant through his junk drawer to make a body and slammed it together. For God's sake, it's got duct foam for a headband!

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
No, my MODDED T50RP are worth their weight, but the LCD-2 beats them in both clarity and separation. But this can be modded out with a silver recable.

But i don't have the drive to spend that much.

Either way, when you dive into the $500+ market, the differences are very little. 

I'm saying that I like my T50RP because I've spent well over 40 hours modding them and trying everything to them to turn them into the best cans, I can. 

I get turned off with who whole body to the LCD-2. It looks like some guy rant through his junk drawer to make a body and slammed it together. For God's sake, it's got duct foam for a headband!

I remember vividly the wood trims on the body of the station wagon in the 70s. Yuck! But I am shallow so my opinion does not count . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back