Thinking about some headphones for under $150 with incredible clarity and bass.
Jul 31, 2011 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tripleh3lix

Head-Fier
I read a post that someone mentioned on one of the reviews. I can only order from amazon as I have Amazon credit 150 bucks left, and i wanted to see how the Ultrasone 580's are compared to maybe skullcandy aviators or dr dre beats studio? I was going to order the Aviators, but I read that I can get something better and I want to be smart with my money. Now I'm not a crazy audiophile like you guys are, I just want something very crystal clear, great and crisp bass just not overpowering, and something comfortable in this price range and possibly noise isolating (if it will sacrifice audio quality then forget it, just a preference).

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 15
I think that something like the Audio Technica ATH-M50s or the Ultrasone 580s will be a good match for you.  In terms of clarity I know that the ATH-M50 handily wins over the Beats and the Aviators (which are really quite terrible imo).  If you are new to audiophilia I think you will be totally content with these two sets.  Both are closed and have great bass and a sparkly, well-defined treble.

If you say what kind of music you listen to we can help you a little bit more.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
I think that something like the Audio Technica ATH-M50s or the Ultrasone 580s will be a good match for you.  In terms of clarity I know that the ATH-M50 handily wins over the Beats and the Aviators (which are really quite terrible imo).  If you are new to audiophilia I think you will be totally content with these two sets.  Both are closed and have great bass and a sparkly, well-defined treble.

If you say what kind of music you listen to we can help you a little bit more.

It varies.. I listen to a lot of video game music, orchestrated stuff. I like bands like coldplay, linkin park, phoenix, fort minor, britney spears, silversun pickups, owl city, the killers,  some electronic stuff too.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 15
I'm trying to get rid of my Skullcandy Aviators if you want them, you can have 'em for $100 shipped. I only bought them to try them and I have all the packaging and everything.

The ATH-M50s is my main headphone and it is clearly superior to the Aviators, in fact it's one of my very favorite headphones under $200 and works fine even without an amp. The M50 has a good amount of bass, I listen to plenty of rap and hip hop and it works well there but could maybe do with a bit more deep bass, if anything.

I've never heard the Koss or Shure headphones recommended above so I have no opinion of them.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 15
Get the Shure SRH840. Amazing for the money.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Ok i know you guys are audiophiles and stuff so I guess i am a sucker for great sound. im pretty new to all this and just want something that has a good balance of everything for music. im not looking for studio monitors, they really have "flat" sound compared to some of the "mainstream headphones" you would say. im looking for something above bose quality, with a tad more bass than the bose and ones that im not going to be using amps on.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 15
The Ultrasone HFI-580 will suit you well. Very clear and detailed, especially at the low frequencies.

There is a review is my sig if you need it.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
The Ultrasone HFI-580 will suit you well. Very clear and detailed, especially at the low frequencies.

There is a review is my sig if you need it.

Very well Crinacle. Thank you so much it's already in my favorites on amazon I will buy when I get the money. If I don't like them, I will send them back :) I'm pretty picky.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 15
JVC on ear with NC, Poineer MJ171, V-Moda V80, SR840(open back), HD595, DT880(semi open) and AD900.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm sure other people have given you good enough suggestions, but DO NOT get the aviators. I bought them when I was on vacation and returned them later that day. They look cool and all, just the sound is kind of muffled and isn't good at all.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Ok i know you guys are audiophiles and stuff so I guess i am a sucker for great sound. im pretty new to all this and just want something that has a good balance of everything for music. im not looking for studio monitors, they really have "flat" sound compared to some of the "mainstream headphones" you would say. im looking for something above bose quality, with a tad more bass than the bose and ones that im not going to be using amps on.

Well, the fact that a pair of headphones are called "Studio Monitors" definitely don't mean they have flat sound, so I wouldn't worry about that distinction.  The Dr. Dre Studios are very far from flat, and something more common like Sony MDRs will also have many colorations.  The ATH M50 has accentuated bass and treble.  I'd say 4/10 headphones sold anywhere are called studio monitors and probably 1/10 of those could be called "flat".

the ATH-M50s, Ultrasone 580s, and the Shure 840s, which have all been mentioned here, are roughly speaking similarly great closed headphones with accentuated bass and treble, which will go very well with a lot of the music you listen to, especially electronic music, pop, and hip hop.  All three are very popular here on head-fi so I'd say they are great safe choices and you will not be disappointed with any of them.

Another great option is the Sennheiser HD25ii on ebay, which is said to have very punchy bass and extremely good noise isolation, even though they are on-the-ear.

If you listen to mostly orchestral stuff though I think you should try the completely open Sennheiser HD558 which have a better midrange to bring out acoustic instruments and strings, and have an AMAZING soundstage that blows closed cans out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back