Thinking about picking up the Eastsound CD-E5
Apr 15, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #31 of 1,228
Well, there has been another delay, but it looks like it is E Sounds fault and not cattylink.

However, Snowy has handled it like a gentleman: Quote:

Originally Posted by cattylink
As to show our appreciation for your understanding, we wish to include in the delivery a free set of high-end power cable "Silver Raincoat" to you as a complimentary gift. I must say that silver raincoat is a very great power cable which is perfectly matched with e5. On subjective and objective listening this power cable outstands the most expensive model of Xindak - the FP-Gold.

I found this link that has a picture of the Silver Raincoat PC.
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. The Xindak FP-Gold that he says it outperforms costs $188 USD. Nice.
cool.gif

EDIT: I just converted the the cost of the Silver Raincoat from the swedish kronor into USD and it costs $154. That is quite a complimentary gift!
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #32 of 1,228
Hi Philodox,
That is not an led between the e and the sound, it is for the remote control! As for head phones, I have a pair of grado sr80s but I am going to get from China, tsinghua gw1 headphone amp, as my sister in law is visiting beijing.

I can also recommend the silver raincoat powercable, they do make a subtle difference to the overall system as I have a pair myself.

Cheers,

Andrew

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #33 of 1,228
Thanks for the welcome! Wait till you get the player. As you know nothing really looks like the pictures. The top 1/3 of the E which is Red really looks much larger and more prominant in the picture then it actually is in real life. It certainly dosen't standout like I thought it would.

The player also looks more monochromatic in the picture then in real life. The bar that runs almost the full length of the player is chrome. The end caps on the faceplate are a darker gunmetal type look. The top of the case although it dosen't show up much in the picture also has a darker gunmetal appearance.

Some will love the looks some won't. The looks are what first attracted me to the player. In my system it matches the Jungson JA-88D much better then Jungsons own player.

Like I said I really love the big massive look and weight of the player. Of course I live in the States where we all carry guns, have million dollar bank accounts and idolize John Wayne
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #35 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by awhyu
I can also recommend the silver raincoat powercable, they do make a subtle difference to the overall system as I have a pair myself.

Cool, I'm excited to have a good power cable for once.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxC
The top 1/3 of the E which is Red really looks much larger and more prominant in the picture then it actually is in real life. It certainly dosen't standout like I thought it would.

That is good to hear.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxC
The player also looks more monochromatic in the picture then in real life. The bar that runs almost the full length of the player is chrome. The end caps on the faceplate are a darker gunmetal type look. The top of the case although it dosen't show up much in the picture also has a darker gunmetal appearance.

Interesting... I think that the CD-E5 should be a good match appearance-wise to my Dynahi.

Apr 17, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #36 of 1,228
I really haven't had a high end amp in my system and done a direct comparison. Although not Chinese owned but Chinese made I did have a Jolida 202A tube amp in the system. Nothing really much to compare. Other then being warmer the Jolida isn't really anywhere near the same class.

Friday, I had a chance to listen to a system composed of Reference 3A Decapoi($2500) Musical Fidelity A5 integrated ($2500) and Musical Fidelity A5 tube CDP ($2500).

In my system I use Focus Audio FS688's ($3000) occasionally I will put in a set of TSW mini monitors ($500-600).

With either set of speakers, along with the Jungson/Eastsound. There is a fullness and wamth (subtle and doesen't obscure detail) that was missing with the Musical Fidelity setup.

Like I mentioned I get it with the inexpensive TSW's as well and I know they are no where near the class of the Decapoi. Still there was a sterility with the $5000 MF setup that never really seemed to have the palpability of my setup. Also the MF setup seemed a little slower and lacked some low end in comparison.

I know the distributor to many of the Chinese retailers here in the states, like the Bound For Sound Reviewer dosen't like SS. Just like the BFS reviewer he really liked the amp.

A guy emailed me today who had emailed me a couple of times about Eastsound and Jungson. He replaced a CAL labs CDP and DAC combo with the Eastsound. He also replaced a Bryston 2B LP power amp/ Forte 3 preamp with Jungsons lower end 88C integrated ($400). He said he was shocked how good his system sounded actually started tearing up during a Nora Jones track. Said it sounded so in the room.

Anyway IMO just like the E5 is THE Chinese CDP to get the Jungson 88D is THE integrated. Very similar attributes to the Eastsound. Warmth and palpability but with resolution and slam.

Are those headphones you are getting from G&W Tsinghua University? I've never ran into anyone on the internet that is even aware of G&W. I thought all they made were amplifiers and noise filters. Have you heard their amps? I have been looking at one of their noise filters but can't find anyone to get some feedback on the filters.

BW Maxx

Apr 17, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #37 of 1,228
A gentleman posted his early impressions of the Eastsound E5 over at Audio Asylum this morning. He was running a Copland 289 CDP as transport and running it thru a $2500 Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC. Its all good
smily_headphones1.gif

Maxx

Apr 18, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #38 of 1,228
Nice, here is a link if anyone else wants to read it.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #40 of 1,228
I just got confirmation that the CD player has been sent!
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #41 of 1,228
Thanks for the review Maxcc, the jungson sounds pretty good and I hope oneday I can listen to one in the UK.

The Korsun v8i is a beast, and compared to my old primare A30.1 it seems to have alot of power especially in bass delivery and it is quite dynamic and fast!

Philodox, I be interested to hear how you get on with the eastsound cd player
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #43 of 1,228
Quote:

Originally Posted by DHL Order Status
Arrived at DHL facility in Toronto - Canada

Yeah baby!
cool.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #44 of 1,228
I was looking around and found this rather large picture of the cd player and another of one of it's circuit boards.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back